[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

1 hour ago, mcbmaestro said:

Wondering is it true collisions were removed?  Any chance they will come back?

I have a whole load of work to do on the Advanced Subdivision method I implemented back in Parallax 1.2. I need to rewrite that, and I'm thinking of going down the async route, but I don't yet have the knowledge on how to do it. Once that's working, I'll bring  true collisions back and hopefully fix the multitude of issues it had

On 6/18/2022 at 11:41 PM, Gameslinx said:

"In the desert, the Cheetah lives for 3 years and the Camel lives for 9"

Per-biome scatters will be available on release :)

WgsbfLv.png

Just wow! Eagerly awaiting the release. :0.0:

That is great to hear that collisions are just on hold because that was my favorite if not THE favorite thing in any mod for KSP for me because it just added such a wonderful tactile feel to all the surfaces that really added a whole nother dimension to the gameplay.

And as a side note,  I been playing with my texture scale so that terrain is scaled much larger than default.  Maybe it looks more cartoony that way,  but I feel like the mod really jumps out at you more like that and personally prefer it that way :)

cg9s0mk.jpg

QN3ogFF.jpgbOJFgcx.jpg

Just my pref.  To each their own.  KSC screen really pops imo.

Edited by mcbmaestro

6 hours ago, mcbmaestro said:

I been playing with my texture scale so that terrain is scaled much larger than default.

I might increase it a little with the collisions coming back. This might come a little after the scatter system and foliage is released, mainly because it's a beast of its own. However, I am looking into colliders for the scatter system itself which should be enough of a challenge to tie you over until the surface colliders are back

13 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I might increase it a little with the collisions coming back. This might come a little after the scatter system and foliage is released, mainly because it's a beast of its own. However, I am looking into colliders for the scatter system itself which should be enough of a challenge to tie you over until the surface colliders are back

dude I've been following your mods since you released GPP,  this mod is incredible, your literally beating the ksp2 devs to better terrain! this along with the new clouds in EVE that are in dev are things i never thought possible in ksp. good job dude!

1 minute ago, TheLoneOne said:

dude I've been following your mods since you released GPP,  this mod is incredible, your literally beating the ksp2 devs to better terrain! this along with the new clouds in EVE that are in dev are things i never thought possible in ksp. good job dude!

but anyways I have a question, have you considered doing some kind of scatters for bop relating to the dead kraken there?

Gotta love this mod may I ask as I use a laptop/mac (That has 8gs of ram rip my computer) will there be performance updates like to optimize it so it runs move smoothly? But overall this mod is very good.

Wait I love not reading the impact is minimal

23 hours ago, Arco123 said:

Eve redux volumetric and foliage from parallax. This is what I've been waiting for! I wonder what else could even be developed before we hit a wall. I've got that itch for cinematics again. 

Cities may be a real next step, I know there is a city mod but Its been a long time. I remember needing a config for a planet.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:41 PM, Gameslinx said:

"In the desert, the Cheetah lives for 3 years and the Camel lives for 9"

Per-biome scatters will be available on release :)

WgsbfLv.png

Forgive me if this is a silly question. When it comes time for this update to drop what system can we expect it on? The stock Kerbol system or Beyond Home?

4 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Forgive me if this is a silly question. When it comes time for this update to drop what system can we expect it on? The stock Kerbol system or Beyond Home?

I think it's stock first.  Timeframe is unknown, but I imagine not too distant...

10 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

This will be releasing soon-ish. I've got 3 planets to finish (for initial release - there will be more stuff after with updates). I have a bunch of optimizations to do before release as well, but I'm confident I can get them done fairly easily now.

This will be releasing for the stock system first

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished Gilly and Eeloo's scatters. Only 4 more celestial bodies to go!

I also added a Fresnel effect to the terrain which is noticeable especially on Eeloo. It makes the ice look shinier and behaves more realistically. I can't believe this wasn't included for Parallax's first release, it's a really nice effect

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Finally, a nice picture I took on Kerbin

unknown.png

20 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I've finished Gilly and Eeloo's scatters. Only 4 more celestial bodies to go!

I also added a Fresnel effect to the terrain which is noticeable especially on Eeloo. It makes the ice look shinier and behaves more realistically. I can't believe this wasn't included for Parallax's first release, it's a really nice effect

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Finally, a nice picture I took on Kerbin

unknown.png

I didn't know you were developing KSP2! amazing work :D

1 hour ago, Lucky21 said:

Is there any way this could work with KSRSS? Bloody incredible..

It would require configs. I'm not sure how I am licensing the models and textures yet. I'd like them to stay unique to the stock system so we don't see them everywhere and end up with a BoulderCo or CTTP situation but who knows

Is there a detailed breakdown of the texture config parameters anywhere? I've been trying to work on a Parallax config for JNSQ and have been just kind of trial and erroring my way through it. The github wiki is helpful but sort of barebones. Don't wanna ask you to do more work than is necessary, just wondering if there's any documentation I haven't found.

56 minutes ago, AlfredoCavatelli said:

Is there a detailed breakdown of the texture config parameters anywhere? I've been trying to work on a Parallax config for JNSQ and have been just kind of trial and erroring my way through it. The github wiki is helpful but sort of barebones. Don't wanna ask you to do more work than is necessary, just wondering if there's any documentation I haven't found.

It's the one part of the wiki I never got round to finishing. However, you can download this useful tool which lets you customize the values in-game so you can better understand the shader: 

https://github.com/Standecco/ParallaxConfigurator/releases

11 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

It's the one part of the wiki I never got round to finishing. However, you can download this useful tool which lets you customize the values in-game so you can better understand the shader: 

https://github.com/Standecco/ParallaxConfigurator/releases

Thanks so much! This will save me hours in loading screens