[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

15 minutes ago, HafCoJoe said:

Another bug I noticed is terrain height changes with Parallax—is it possible to fix that or just a consequence we'll have to accept? It only bothers me because it makes the easter eggs spawn underground :/

I can fix this fairly easily

On 8/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, Gameslinx said:

Colliders

4ETPw4x.png

And here's a video of a Kerbal traversing Tylo's rocky ground

I hesitate to ask, for fear of sounding like a broken record. However....

When/where can I get a download with these scatters? 

10 minutes ago, Probird_23 said:

How well will the scatters work with 2.5 rescale, and which mod are you planning on implementing these in next?

I've not tested 2.5x myself but I've heard it works well as long as you increase the density. There's a density multiplier in the ParallaxGlobal.cfg, and I'm looking into how to use ModuleManager so that rescale configs can adjust the density automatically

9 minutes ago, Probird_23 said:

Also, what planet pack(s) are you (or someone else) planning to add support for after the update? (Other than bh and stock)

I won't be adding scatters to any other planet packs at the moment, mainly because of how much time it takes to make the assets. I have work to do on the ScaledSpace version of the mod, and I am overdue a well earned rest lol

42 minutes ago, cargame kerman said:

Gameslinx How to install this mod:/

Well, CKAN will install the latest version compatible with your KSP version.  You can manually install it by downloading from the GitHub page, just read the first post in this topic for the instructions.

If you mean the bleeding-edge, yet-to-be-released version he' s been working on, I believe you need to be a Patreon subscriber since it's a paid beta version.  Then read the 2nd sentence above.

9 hours ago, justaRegular911 said:

Hello, this mod isn't working for me even though I installed everything correctly. Below are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/z1IUgIB

Also, in the main menu>settings; whenever I set my terrain shader quality to ultra, it automatically reverts back to high. Am I doing something wrong or missing soemthing?

I believe you're using another visual pack that overrides the terrain. You need to send me your KSP.log for me to know more

From your log,

LOG 21:54:36.913] [CompatibilityChecker] Running checker version 4 from 'Kopernicus'
[LOG 21:54:36.935] [Parallax] DidntReadInstallationInstructionsException: Parallax is not supported on this version of KSP.

This is causing another 13 exceptions in Paralax and Kopernicus in your log file.

Any reason you haven't updated to KSP 1.12.3?

Edited by Brigadier
Added reference to other exceptions.

On 8/4/2022 at 6:42 AM, Gameslinx said:

I've not tested 2.5x myself but I've heard it works well as long as you increase the density. There's a density multiplier in the ParallaxGlobal.cfg, and I'm looking into how to use ModuleManager so that rescale configs can adjust the density automatically

I just realized I've never really touched the Parallax config after moving to a 2.5x system some time ago. I can't find a density multiplier in ParallaxGlobal, though, and I don't see one mentioned on the wiki. Is it an undocumented setting, or would that be maxTessellation? Thanks!

Edited by Zelda

23 minutes ago, Zelda said:

I just realized I've never really touched the Parallax config after moving to a 2.5x system some time ago. I can't find a density multiplier in ParallaxGlobal, though, and I don't see one mentioned on the wiki. Is it an undocumented setting, or would that be maxTessellation? Thanks!

In that reply I was referring to the upcoming scatter system since you asked about them. The scatters aren't released yet, so you won't see a density multiplier setting

11 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

In that reply I was referring to the upcoming scatter system since you asked about them. The scatters aren't released yet, so you won't see a density multiplier setting

Oh, sorry, that wasn't me asking, but that may explain why I couldn't find the setting! Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Edited by Zelda

On 7/31/2022 at 11:25 PM, HafCoJoe said:

I did a new performance test, this time with the same visual mods but with stock instead of Parallax or Planetshine. Stock results also added to the post above.

Stock: ~84-89fps
Parallax: ~86-90fps
PlanetShine: ~81-86fps
Parallax + PlanetShine: ~80-83fps

All in all the results are close. Real close. In fact there's no real discernable FPS difference between stock and parallax; they both spike to about as high, and as low as each other. PlanetShine seems to have an impact of around -4fps, and Planetshine + Parallax is about -10fps? Again though these readings are VERY subjective. Literally just one reading, exactly 6:30 into flight. Still I'd call that pretty dang good.

I know this is kind of old now and I don't want to prompt you to go and do a whole new round of testing, but for me the difference is extremely noticeable when I'm in low orbit of a planet/moon in a decently sized space station with all the associated part count that goes along with that.  I suspect it has something to do with whatever planetshine is doing to add the glow to each part,  in combination with whatever Parallax is doing.  I don't notice a huge difference on things with smaller part counts, but I suspect it's somewhere in the range of 10fps+ difference if I remove Planetshine when I have Parallax installed with the orbital station situation.

Edited by DeliriumTrigger
clarity

13 hours ago, Brigadier said:

From your log,

LOG 21:54:36.913] [CompatibilityChecker] Running checker version 4 from 'Kopernicus'
[LOG 21:54:36.935] [Parallax] DidntReadInstallationInstructionsException: Parallax is not supported on this version of KSP.

This is causing another 13 exceptions in Paralax and Kopernicus in your log file.

Any reason you haven't updated to KSP 1.12.3?

Forgot my steam password. 

I thought 1.12.x included all 1.12 versions. Anyways thanks.

7 hours ago, justaRegular911 said:

Forgot my steam password. 

I thought 1.12.x included all 1.12 versions. Anyways thanks.

Parallax will work on all 1.12.x versions. I just forgot to update the supported versions list so it will tell you you're running an out of date version - just ignore it

As for your log, I can't determine why it's not working. My recommendation would be to reinstall KSP and Parallax, making sure Kopernicus, MFI, Parallax and the stock textures are all present

16 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Parallax will work on all 1.12.x versions. I just forgot to update the supported versions list so it will tell you you're running an out of date version - just ignore it

As for your log, I can't determine why it's not working. My recommendation would be to reinstall KSP and Parallax, making sure Kopernicus, MFI, Parallax and the stock textures are all present

I tried this and now I'm back to stock terrain, but still no Parallax terrain(no trees on Kerbin or anything)

On 7/31/2022 at 5:31 PM, Papa_Joe said:

Ya a lot has changed since then.  I've also learned a lot about unity since then.  Don't know if I can invest the time, so no promises.

No promises taken or expected. I know the weight of software maintenance myself!

On 8/9/2022 at 6:11 AM, justaRegular911 said:

I tried this and now I'm back to stock terrain, but still no Parallax terrain(no trees on Kerbin or anything)

The scatters aren't available yet, so you won't have any of the grass etc.