[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

For those people who prefer MM patches to hand editing files in mods, put this in some file in your GameData personal patch folder (you have one of those right), say Parallax.cfg - it will enable collisions - so only do this if you want that and have a system that matches or exceeds the recommended in OP.

Of course, you can fiddle with other settings in a similar fashion as you wish.

// -*- conf-javaprop -*-
// Enable Parallax collision
// Author: 610yesnolovely

@ParallaxGlobalConfig:NEEDS[Parallax]:FINAL
{
	@CollisionSettings
	{
		@enableCollisions = true
	}		
}

EDIT: Unfortunately this does not actually work as of 2.0.0 release as the config is read before MM has a chance to fix things. For now hand edit the cfg until somebody smart works out how to do this.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

9 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

For those people who prefer MM patches to hand editing files in mods, put this in some file in your GameData personal patch folder (you have one of those right), say Parallax.cfg - it will enable collisions - so only do this if you want that and have a system that matches or exceeds the recommended in OP.

Of course, you can fiddle with other settings in a similar fashion as you wish.

// -*- conf-javaprop -*-
// Enable Parallax collision
// Author: 610yesnolovely

@ParallaxGlobalConfig:NEEDS[Parallax]:FINAL
{
	@CollisionSettings
	{
		@enableCollisions = true
	}		
}

Thanks 

18 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I would advise a full reinstall if the above does not fix it.

Thank you, I got it working. Your diagnosis sounded bad enough to just start over from scratch. Clearly I missed something, that's the only logical explanation.

Anyway, excited to check this out now - thanks for the unfathomable amount of grey matter churning this must have required.

Dang, Parallax 2.0 looks amazing. Congrats! Sorry to intrude, I literally made an account here after seeing this, but would custom planet config packs made for Parallax 1.x.x still work on Parallax 2.0? In particular the one made for OPM, since that's what I usually play with. Cheers.

Edited by SpudNutimus

3 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Some before and after. Amazing! I didn't notice much FPS impact at all (I typically get 35-40FPS at 4K with _all_ the visual mods), and it's very smooth so far.

Hide contents

Not me panicking that it wasn't working then scrolling down to see the "after" pictures

I'm glad performance is good! :) 

14 minutes ago, Overloader said:

So I tried using Parallax on a linux install of ksp and I get an error about direct x 11 which to my knowledge isnt available for linux. Any way I can resolve thios or do I have to run ksp through wine/proton

I'm afraid Proton is the way to go. Sadly Unity does not support AsyncGPUReadback (required by Parallax) on OpenGL platforms

59 minutes ago, SpudNutimus said:

Dang, Parallax 2.0 looks amazing. Congrats! Sorry to intrude, I literally made an account here after seeing this, but would custom planet config packs made for Parallax 1.x.x still work on Parallax 2.0? In particular the one made for OPM, since that's what I usually play with. Cheers.

No they won't. v2.0 will require new/updated .cfgs

This includes RSS.

36 minutes ago, Overloader said:

A shame. Maybe I'm misremembering but I think I remember parallax working normally on linux before the update?

Yes it does, and if you don't install the ScatterTextures folder it should still work (it will still give you the warning - Just delete the Grass.dll and it should still work. However, a bunch of new tech was introduced for the scatter system to work, one of which is Async GPU Readback. This does not work in OpenGL, so will not work for Linux without using Proton

8 minutes ago, Socowez said:

Oh really?

(Sorry if reddit is a bad way to share this)

Is this you? If so, send your specs as well as a log file and let me know what your CPU vs GPU usage is when performance is bad. Performance should not be this bad at all

Edited by Gameslinx

29 minutes ago, josuenos said:

Any chance that can be fixed to be more desert-y?

The ground texture matches whatever the ground colour underneath it should be. If you timewarp later in the day, it should be orange, should it not? Looks like an illusion with scatterer to me!

Edited by Gameslinx

23 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Is this you? If so, send your specs as well as a log file and let me know what your CPU vs GPU usage is when performance is bad. Performance should not be this bad at all

This is me.  Task manager says GPU is at 100% and memory is at 77% when its at its worst (5 FPS!). CPU is really low, only 16%.

ksp.log (google drive)

Specs:

Spoiler

according to Windows Settings/System/About, here are my CPU and RAM

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor         3.59 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB (doesn't state but I know it's CL16 and clocked at 2133 mHz)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

and a B450 motherboard, if that's relevant

Edit, to note: I have a bunch of mods, so I would understand if it's not Parallax's fault for the performance. However, I believe it is indeed Parallax's fault because performance jumps back up when there are no scatters on the screen.

Edited by Socowez
added footnote

19 minutes ago, Socowez said:

This is me.  Task manager says GPU is at 100% and memory is at 77% when its at its worst (5 FPS!). CPU is really low, only 16%.

ksp.log (google drive)

Specs:

Reveal hidden contents

according to Windows Settings/System/About, here are my CPU and RAM

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor         3.59 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB (doesn't state but I know it's CL16 and clocked at 2133 mHz)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

and a B450 motherboard, if that's relevant

Edit, to note: I have a bunch of mods, so I would understand if it's not Parallax's fault for the performance. However, I believe it is indeed Parallax's fault because performance jumps back up when there are no scatters on the screen.

What is your game version?

20 minutes ago, Socowez said:

Thats a LOT of mods! I won't be able to pinpoint what's causing this, but if you get the time I would recommend you try an install with just Parallax installed to see what your baseline performance is. You're the only one reporting this, but if more reports come in of this happening I will be able to determine what might be causing it

4 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Thats a LOT of mods!

Hence the footnote :P

Anyway, I'll be trying a save with 90% of my mods cut out in a second and get back to you on that.

8 minutes ago, Kerbals Gallery said:

What is your game version?

1.12.3, latest version

3 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Are you using JNSQ? There's a specific fix for that.

Hold on, does this work with JNSQ? I've tried it on stock with Sigma Dimensions, setup for 2.5x rescale and it works fine and dandy.

Performance overall seems solid, went to the Mun (which looks insane), landed, well I landed on a rock and tipped over but...no-one died so we'll call it a landing. Got out, had a little stroll about, no real issues.

I must confess, upon returning to Kerbin I landed in the mountains, or should I say just short of the mountains, the trees, and the grass, and the flowers, make it look so good. Like SO good, it's like a different game.

Now, if only I could get Beyond Home level clouds, in the stock game! :D

34 minutes ago, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

Hold on, does this work with JNSQ? I've tried it on stock with Sigma Dimensions, setup for 2.5x rescale and it works fine and dandy.

Performance overall seems solid, went to the Mun (which looks insane), landed, well I landed on a rock and tipped over but...no-one died so we'll call it a landing. Got out, had a little stroll about, no real issues.

I must confess, upon returning to Kerbin I landed in the mountains, or should I say just short of the mountains, the trees, and the grass, and the flowers, make it look so good. Like SO good, it's like a different game.

Now, if only I could get Beyond Home level clouds, in the stock game! :D

It only works on JNSQ because some of the planet names are the same. Otherwise it has no support

15 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Saw the new trailer, this is the single best visual enhancement I’ve seen. You made KSP look as beautiful as Subnautica! Will this work on a 16gb, Core i5 laptop?

What GPU do you have? Parallax isn't very CPU hungry

For those of you wondering:

OPM Parallax has been hotfixed, scatters will be out in the next few days.

KSRSS scatters for a few bodies should be out soon™. (They’re out now)

BH hotfix will out in a day or two, scatters will be released over the next couple months like KSRSS.

Edited by ballisticfox0