Jump to content

[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]


Gameslinx
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Can you double check that you are on the latest Parallax version? I'll be investigating this over the weekend, but I know this was an issue in an earlier version which was a result of the PQS maxLevel on those planets being artificially too high. This was fixed, and you might only be seeing it now because the latest update (1.12.4) wiped the planets in Settings.cfg.

ou28Jjf.png

Updated to recent version (i was on one of the older ones), Ike, Tylo, and Minmus are fixed.  Bop is still missing scatters though (not sure if it ever had it as i rarely go there and just randomly teleported a tank there to drive around with as i dont have any good civilian vehicles besides a fiat 126 replica which is unbelieveably slow as a homage to the real thing).

Edited by panzer1b
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

ou28Jjf.png

Updated to recent version (i was on one of the older ones), Ike, Tylo, and Minmus are fixed.  Bop is still missing scatters though (not sure if it ever had it as i rarely go there and just randomly teleported a tank there to drive around with as i dont have any good civilian vehicles besides a fiat 126 replica which is unbelieveably slow as a homage to the real thing).

Did you delete Settings.cfg after updating? I forgot to mention this, but you should do this so that it regenerates the planet terrain presets. Also make sure your terrain detail is set to High

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Did you delete Settings.cfg after updating? I forgot to mention this, but you should do this so that it regenerates the planet terrain presets. Also make sure your terrain detail is set to High

I always make a new settings for new game versions, only copy over my keybinds using cfg edits as i cant be bothered to rebind 50 different controls (im assuming that just the control bindings have nothing to do with the mod).  Still, ill try to delete the settings and just recopy the non terrain related bits.  I also have terrain to high and shader to high (dont use maximum as i feel the game look plenty amazing without tesselation enabled and well the game lags badly enough with 500 part bases...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Gameslinx I've been having a great time pushing the thing up to its limit, and other than some CPU hitching when running grass (even with default settings) it's holding up damn well. Great job!

I was wondering, though, if there is something I can do to mitigate this geometry crawl at the edge of the tesselation range. It's incredibly distracting. I know it's the geometry being calculated up on the fly but any suggestions welcome.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The game stutters a small for a few seconds but then I get a good 40fps with scatters on  and collision on my ryzen 3 3200g igpu. The only issue is kerbals moving slowly. My settings are set to 0.5 percent of loading distance and density.

Edited by THE_KERBAL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Moose said:

if there is something I can do to mitigate this geometry crawl at the edge of the tesselation range

Reduce tessellationEdgeLength in the ParallaxGlobal.cfg. Although, this will impact performance since you will be tessellating more geometry inside that range

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, THE_KERBAL said:

Are the textures 8k and in the future will we be able to use lower resolution textures?

The terrain textures are 4k, the scatter textures are also mostly 2k - 4k, although some rocks use a texture atlas which is 8k but there's usually only one of these textures per planet.

You will not be seeing lower res texture packs, since I don't want to have to manage and upload them each time I need to update the mod. Parallax uses on-demand loading to only load exactly what you need rather than everything all at once, so the memory usage of the textures is generally low. I have been experimenting with an option that resizes the textures to a lower resolution when they are loaded, but I didn't have it finished in time for release. Right now, I'm focused on bug fixes before I finish that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

The terrain textures are 4k, the scatter textures are also mostly 2k - 4k, although some rocks use a texture atlas which is 8k but there's usually only one of these textures per planet.

You will not be seeing lower res texture packs, since I don't want to have to manage and upload them each time I need to update the mod. Parallax uses on-demand loading to only load exactly what you need rather than everything all at once, so the memory usage of the textures is generally low. I have been experimenting with an option that resizes the textures to a lower resolution when they are loaded, but I didn't have it finished in time for release. Right now, I'm focused on bug fixes before I finish that

Ok that will cool when it’s done. I am amazed how I get a good fps on my crap pc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Final edit ahead of all the others: I ended up reinstalling Parallax, Eve and Scatterer and that fixed it. It seemed to be some odd combination of the three and some setting somewhere. But it's fixed for me. Leaving this here for the future but shouldn't be anything that needs fixing in the mod itself.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:47 PM, Gameslinx said:

Reduce tessellationEdgeLength in the ParallaxGlobal.cfg. Although, this will impact performance since you will be tessellating more geometry inside that range

Performance isn't a concern, thank you for the quick response! I'll do that and have some fun.

Post-experiment Edit:

Right @Gameslinx I have tried this and I've seen no change. But after various attempts at increasing the quality settings deep in config (using your wiki) I have come to the conclusion that it's not the tesselation itself that is the problem, it's that tesselating the Moutain biome is just broken. It leaves lots of black squares where the texture isn't applied (this is with the default Parallax_StockTextures package from CKAN) which make the crawling geometry much more apparent than if it was matching the colour of the terrain.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix this, so flagging it as a bug. I've supplied a picture with the coordinates on Kerbin so you can see for yourself (this is with stock settings). It is important to mention that this is unrelated to shadows - regardless of time of day, the missing texture mapping stays in the same place. 

There are no errors in the logs at all. I think there is a mismatch between a couple textures somewhere, or normals are flipped on some of the vertices, but I am unsure how to see this as it doesn't output anything to the logs.

Further edit: This is happening across all surfaces and is definitely holes in the mesh, I can see clean through the Mun with this bug in place. https://i.imgur.com/IBPrs5g.png

Edited by Moose
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2022 at 5:07 AM, Gameslinx said:

Can you double check that you are on the latest Parallax version? I'll be investigating this over the weekend, but I know this was an issue in an earlier version which was a result of the PQS maxLevel on those planets being artificially too high. This was fixed, and you might only be seeing it now because the latest update (1.12.4) wiped the planets in Settings.cfg.

You can disable stock scatters in the main menu by unchecking 'enable scatters'

Only individually in each planet config. There are parameters for minScale and maxScale for each scatter. You can use the GUI (Ctrl + P) to do this in-game

Thanks for the help on that one @Gameslinx. I've been able to change sizes of things in game and see them changing as i edit their values. One question though. When I hit "save kerbins scatters to config" should this be saving in the actual config file in Gamedata? I'm assuming Gamedata/Parallax/Exports. It seems as though when I reloaded KSP a second time everything reverted back to their original sizes...if the save didn't work will i need to change the values in the config file myself to see permanent changes?

 

qUZ6IWh.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jebalicious said:

Thanks for the help on that one @Gameslinx. I've been able to change sizes of things in game and see them changing as i edit their values. One question though. When I hit "save kerbins scatters to config" should this be saving in the actual config file in Gamedata? I'm assuming Gamedata/Parallax/Exports. It seems as though when I reloaded KSP a second time everything reverted back to their original sizes...if the save didn't work will i need to change the values in the config file myself to see permanent changes?

 

qUZ6IWh.png

A config is created in Parallax/Exports. It also has "-EXPORTED" at the end of the root node, which you must remove then paste over the existing config to apply the changes.

I'm also seeing the grass is discoloured. Are you on Linux? I plan to read through all these replies in more detail over the weekend and hopefully upload a release with some much anticipated changes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, THE_KERBAL said:

why is the kerbin ground lighter then it is supposed to be

This happens when you set your terrain shader quality to low. I made a very easy-to-run version of Parallax which enables itself when you set your quality this low. It's a very barebones shader without any of the bells and whistles. Set your terrain shader quality (in the main menu settings) to Medium, High or Ultra. Ultra will enable tessellation, whereas there is no difference between medium and high except for correct colouration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, THE_KERBAL said:

also what does changing the lods do

LOD = Level Of Detail. The Parallax objects (trees, grass, rocks, etc) have varying levels of detail. Objects close to the camera use a high LOD. Objects far away are much smaller, and use a lower LOD. The range at which these LODs change is a tradeoff between visual quality and performance. Lowering the LOD range multiplier in the ParallaxGlobal.cfg will improve your performance, but will sacrifice visual quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, THE_KERBAL said:

so will shanging the range without changing the range density make scatter more dense becuase it says it effects the amount of scatters in the range

Changing the range literally just changes the distance from the craft at which scatters will appear at. Changing the density will affect how many are within a given area.

9 minutes ago, THE_KERBAL said:

also some of the large scatter have no collison

I am aware that this is happening but I haven't been able to deduce what causes this yet. Seeing as collisions appear to work for all smaller objects now, I don't see why this would be happening

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...