Artificial craters

12 hours ago, DJDoesKSP said:

This might be a pretty far out idea, but I think it would be cool if crafts with enough speed/mass crashing into a planet/moon would leave a crater (although I wouldnt be surprised if this were quite janky).

I believe, unfortunately, terrain deformation is out of scope at launch for KSP2. Maybe in mods or future expansions?

Edited by Pthigrivi

If it were done, it would be good to do it right.  Like maybe upon impact the crater would be a complex "craft" made of terrain parts, but upon scene unload the mesh for the body would be permanently altered to simplify the rendering and get rid of the complicated temporary solution. Maybe a prompt right after impact for the user to decide if they want to reload the scene immediately with the optimized version. Just winging it here, but something like that

Edited by darthgently

1 minute ago, Rutabaga22 said:

when?

Sometime since the August 2019 announce. I can't keep track of every comment Nate made on every convo here, but I distinctly remember terrain deformation was a no, at least as a launch feature. He gave some brief technical explanation of why it would be a giant pain in the rear to do with heightmap differences or something.

On 9/11/2022 at 2:54 AM, DJDoesKSP said:

This might be a pretty far out idea, but I think it would be cool if crafts with enough speed/mass crashing into a planet/moon would leave a crater (although I wouldnt be surprised if this were quite janky).

This is one of those not bad and nice to have ideas that would most likely prove impractical and not worth the drain on resources.   Both to implement/program and run if it was.

Saving a crater as a 'vessel' may work, but how often  do most of us crash things?   To look believable it would need a decent amount of detail which would just eat up operating resources.

On 9/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, TLTay said:

Sometime since the August 2019 announce. I can't keep track of every comment Nate made on every convo here, but I distinctly remember terrain deformation was a no, at least as a launch feature. He gave some brief technical explanation of why it would be a giant pain in the rear to do with heightmap differences or something.

Yes, now another more practical use would be to make flat ground for bases, especially runways, the terrain modifying feature in games like sim city. 

On 9/17/2022 at 1:58 PM, pandaman said:

This is one of those not bad and nice to have ideas that would most likely prove impractical and not worth the drain on resources.   Both to implement/program and run if it was.

Saving a crater as a 'vessel' may work, but how often  do most of us crash things?   To look believable it would need a decent amount of detail which would just eat up operating resources.

As I understand it, terrain generation is fairly automatic based on pseudo random processes that are seeded with a persistent seed once the terrain is first generated.  Any permanent deformation would need to be a secondary modification to this mesh. 

I could see a deformation being simpler than a craft, and more like a separate bubble of terrain generation that replaces a subsection of the main mesh using is own pseudo random process.  The parent mesh would need to accommodate it and rendering would have an extra step.  Performance would be affected.  What is not likely to happen is somehow magically change the seeds to the main mesh to magically create deformation as an integral part of the body rendering without changing the rest of the body terrain also.  This would be vaguely akin to creating an encrypted packet with the same fingerprint but different data.  Tough problem, and not good if solved

20 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Voxel Sand Emulator

Rearrange the sand particles to make a flat embankment.

That should work by placing a local regolith coloured 'scenery tile' on top of the existing terrain.  In the same way as the KSC runway and building surrounds etc are applied.  That way the underlying terrain mesh won't be altered.

My guess is that is how the road sections etc  for colonies we have seen will work.

Creating an indentation in the mesh for craters is a much more difficult proposition.

Edited by pandaman

• 4 weeks later...