Oblivion Bubble Patrol Craft

ColdJ

License: CC-BY-SA-4.0

Link: https://spacedock.info/mod/3114/Oblivion Bubble Patrol Craft

Updated to 1.1.0 15/9/22

I have this working on the 0.1.3 version of "ModuleAnimateGenericEffects" it looks as though the latest version 0.1.4 has a glitch that is causing the animations to not work correctly.

Hi. This is my version of the Bubble Ship from the movie Oblivion.

It is all one piece and and it's electric engines are unlikely to run out of fuel in a game lifetime.

It only operates in atmosphere and has an operational ceiling of roughly 15,000 metres. It can super cruise up to around 670 metres a second when in between 5500 and 6500 metres up.

It can transition from VTOL to forward flight and it's landing gear fold back and up like the movie ship. It's doors open and it is possible for a Kerbal to walk through because originaly I was trying to make a command seat style, but due to the difficulty in trying to balance the Kerbal weight and the poor performance that caused, it is now an internal overlay cockpit. From the side and front when you have the ovelay turned on they should look like they are sitting in the actual cockpit.

I expect that most people would use this in a sandbox game but I will put it at the end of the tech tree in case otherwise.

It uses the small plugin from Linuxgurugamer called ModuleAnimateGenericEffects for 2 of it's animations and I will provide a link here.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2345/ModuleAnimateGenericEffects

I understand that some non windows set ups may not be able to use it so I will provide a second config file with the suffix txt and the title "Bubble2" in the main folder. If you need the version without sound effects for the animations then simply change the suffix of Bubble.cfg from .cfg to .txt and the Bubble2.txt from .txt to .cfg and it will use the stock system.

Change Log

Made the no sound animation version of the bubble ship the default as am not sure what is happening with the plugin. Other is still in for those who have it working.

Have added the Drone. When hover mode is turned on the sides with the guns sit out from the body revealing a blue glow when throttled up.

Added my Kerbal version of the motorbike. Is fine when spawned directly but as per usual it becomes oversensitive when built by an engineer or after a kerbal has got off of it, The reaction wheel then needs to be adjusted down about half way.

The wheels as always need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise when attached in the SPH, have simplified it by making the spoke that should be pointing up towards the top of the bike black so that it is obvious if it is the right way up. This also helps when an engineer attaches in the field to see which way up it is.

The Bubble ship now has an extra inventory slot and more weight capacity so that the bike frame and 2 wheels can be stored.

When getting an engineer to assemble, the bike frame should be put down upside down and the front wheel attached first, (if you put the back on first the bike will flip and try to get away.) wheels when attached need to be rotated so the black spoke is pointing to what would be the top of the bike if it were the right way up. (e.g down if the bike is upside down.)
Once completed switch view to the bike and get it to roll on to it's side, good time to adjust the reaction wheel strength down, so that a Kerbal can get on it. The bike is fully independent so you can stop it and bring it back when a Kerbal gets knocked off.

There is an RCS ball for the Drone that snaps to its centre, only really needed when moving about in hover mode. When in flight mode it is best off, so that it doesn't over rotate your movements.

Type bubble or oblivion for the parts to come up.

I hope that covers it.

Hope you get some fun from this, It is great for canyon running.

1buKLDJ.png

Oblivion_Bubble_Patrol_Craft-1662886846.

fonWkuJ.png

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Edited by ColdJ
New info

44 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Val:  Ah Jeb...  Are we still an effective team?

Just looking at your pics.

Are your engines transitioning fully?

They should stop at vertical or horizontal but yours look angled.

4 hours ago, dondnn said:

Please make the attack drones

I will see if it is possible, they are floating balls so might be tricky.

Edited by ColdJ

6 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Are your engines transitioning fully?

The animation for the engines seems to get locked into a repeating pattern when I switch between vtol and normal but it still flies.  Eventually it stops at the half way in-between position from the pictures. 

The landing gear animation does the same thing so I just leave it down.    

2 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

The landing gear animation does the same thing so I just leave it down.    

That sounds like the problem with The module that gives sound to to the animations that happened in another mod of mine with someone on an apple computer. That is why I provided an alternate config in the folder called bubble2. Change it to a cfg suffix and and the bubble.cfg to a txt suffix and use that instead, it will use the stock animation with no sound.

And the Results are in 

Val: Jeb take that hat off and get into the ship. We only wear the Red beanie's when we are going to sea! 

V0fMels.png

Hover mode engaged and we are off!

xDlN3zL.png

Engage Ludicrous Speed!

m1U7ZKQ.png

Super Top Secret Flight Information [Eyes Only]

Spoiler

This thing flies using  Kramax Autopilot Continued! OMG! 

YKSKSbX.png

Even better it LANDS using it as well.  Just have to have final speed around 50 m/s and hit Hover before just before you reach the runway (100 meters or so) 

QPxk3ub.png

SO AWESOME! 

@ColdJ As always, Well done Sir!

Thought I'd take this to Titan where it belongs ... (Huygens in this case!)

XwWHSpZ.png

The default config didn't work for me either. As Caerfinon said, the animations loop. Swapping out the other config worked well.

(Does using the alternate config mean that I can get rid of the dependency?)

A request: could you add control point direction change for forward and up? Hover mode would better from control point up.

And a couple more pics...

Another cool sci-fi addition from you! *applause*

Spoiler

c54IX7j.png

g3KcPAF.png

To @Caerfinon and @OrbitalManeuvers. Thank you for the awesome pics with  decent graphics. Mine are just base.

I can't believe you have a teseract, geeking out.

Could you both confirm that you are on non windows computers for me, just want to know if the plugin just isn't compatible with other set ups.

Yes you can remove the dependency if you are using the alternate config.

I haven't tested but I ripped this out of RND and as the top of it's head starts pointed out the door then the default position should be forward for the bubble ship, forward would be looking at the ground and reverse looking at the sky.(or looking backwards, won't know till it is tested)  you just need to replace the original module with this one.

Spoiler

So find this using a text editor in the config.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }

and then replace it with this.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.025
        }
        hasHibernation = False
        defaultControlPointDisplayName = #autoLOC_6011003 //#autoLOC_6011003 = Default
        CONTROLPOINT
        {
            name = forward
            displayName = #autoLOC_6011001 //#autoLOC_6011001 = Forward
            orientation = 90,0,0
        }
        CONTROLPOINT
        {
            name = reverse
            displayName = #autoLOC_6011004 //#autoLOC_6011004 = Reversed
            orientation = 0,0,180
        }
    }

Just paste over and save, don't hit enter.

Hope that works for you.

Thank you again for the great pics.

11 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Could you both confirm that you are on non windows computers

I am on Windows 11 

12 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I can't believe you have a teseract, geeking out.

It's a KK Static from  CountryDoggo's Random KK Bits. I use it as a dive site in The Life Aquatic. 

I am very tired. I should have said "Tetrahedron".

Ok you are both windows. I am 8.1. I don't know if I am using the the latest version of the plugin, something might have changed. I will just have to stop using it for now on any mods. Thank you for the info.

@OrbitalManeuvers

Ok, I got my head wrapped around the right combination and in the spoiler is the Module set up to replace the first or the quick one. It means what would normally roll you will pivot you and what is normally yaw will roll you. Just the 2  possibilities, default-forward and hover orientation.

Me, I will stick with default as switching hurts my brain. :)

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCommand
        minimumCrew = 1

defaultControlPointDisplayName = Forward
        CONTROLPOINT
        {
            name = forward
            displayName = Hover
            orientation = 270,180,180
        }

}

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Just the 2  possibilities, default-forward and hover orientation.

I believe this is how Bumblebee is set up as well. I'll play with it and get you some feedback. It's just one of those switches that can useful for landing sometimes, and I think some landing autopilots really need "down" to be under the vessel while the vessel is parallel to the ground. Very minor feature that could easily be omitted, but if it's solid/simple it might be good for some players.

In any event, doing really irresponsible things with this craft is really fun :)

@OrbitalManeuvers.

After many hours of trying to see if I could get the cockpit to move in the direction of the roll control, It turns out only if you make it think the ground is the sky, I don't think autopilot programs would like that. Finally realised that we treat rockets as if they were trackballs.

Built this, just refining the look. It is in hover mode when the sides are out. @dondnn

sMCFDNI.pnga4fvbho.pngspgG1Cc.png

• 5 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, imporator0815 said:

Hello,

Sorry for the necro.

Quick question though. What could be the reason for no Kerbals showing up in the seats ?

Its the same for me with the Zelicopter from the Belafonte.

Are you clicking on "internal view"? In both cases they are considered inside the craft and so only visible if you toggle it on. They are not in actual external seats because it ruins the balance of the craft. So I went with an overlay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.