How many star systems do you think there will be in KSP 2?

Crazy Inventor

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Oh, it would be easy to create different types of stars, art wise. But being scientific accurate to what we know about star distribution, the smaller cooler dwarves are much more common than giants. I mean a total of about 4% is much higher than the .000001% for giant stars. Just food for thought.

Being scientific, planets with densities like 58,484.090kg/m3 aren't possible either, but KSP bends the rules to make the gameplay more fun.

6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Being scientific, planets with densities like 58,484.090kg/m3 aren't possible either, but KSP bends the rules to make the gameplay more fun.

Can't argue that point, not everything in KSP is scientifically accurate. But does it make sense to have every different star type in such close proximity to each other? I'm sure somewhere in the universe that can happen. But the odds are against it.

13 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

But does it make sense to have every different star type in such close proximity to each other?

What you should ask is "Is there any reason to not have a diverse cluster of stars if it enriches gameplay experience?"

But the odds are against it.

Like the odds are against ridiculously dense planets? Again, I think this is another place where gameplay is more important than reflecting the chances of x type of star being near another type.

Can't argue that point, not everything in KSP is scientifically accurate.

I do like how you acknowledge my point for one brief moment before going back to making it out like having a blue giant next to a yellow dwarf should be less common than planets made of anvils in the world of KSP.

Edited by Bej Kerman

We already know Debdeb is a young system, similar to a Hadean earth. Given that we're unlikely to see complex life there. I'd personally love to see a red dwarf simply because they're so common, and also a very old system like a white dwarf. I think it would be cool if Ovin was a remnant core of a gas giant with its atmosphere stripped away. A red giant could also be cool (if terrifying). The sun is likely to reach a diameter close to the orbit of the earth, pushing the habitable zone out to Jupiter and Saturn.

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Can't argue that point, not everything in KSP is scientifically accurate. But does it make sense to have every different star type in such close proximity to each other? I'm sure somewhere in the universe that can happen. But the odds are against it.

Developers dont really care if something is realistically probable, they care if its realistically possible. If the devs wanted to be entirely realistic from a probability standpoint then most of the planets would be pretty boring and pretty samey but that doesnt seem to be the case. Planets like Puf and Skutt are pretty improbable , yet theyre cool and possible. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Well it's been revealed that there will be at least 2 new star systems:

AIcxlsq.png

And perhaps the "To Be Revealed" portion implies that everything we have seen so far is from the Debdeb system.

Nah, we've seen that ice moon in the "To Be Revealed" background. It was part of the annoucement trailer. At least, that's my opinion on the matter. I could be wrong.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:26 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Well it's been revealed that there will be at least 2 new star systems:

AIcxlsq.png

And perhaps the "To Be Revealed" portion implies that everything we have seen so far is from the Debdeb system.

According to Nate not all new planets shown are in Debdeb

On 10/24/2022 at 7:07 AM, GoldForest said:

Nah, we've seen that ice moon in the "To Be Revealed" background. It was part of the annoucement trailer. At least, that's my opinion on the matter. I could be wrong.

The Ice moon "Merbel" is in Debdeb, that was stated in feature video 4

I'm guessing that there will more than two systems after 1.0, there will two by the end of E.A but with the chance to add much more after the full release.

10 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

According to Nate not all new planets shown are in Debdeb

I still need a source on that. As far as I know, it's clear which planets are in Debdeb because it's been explicitly stated (Charr, Glumo, Gurdamma), but we don't know if the other bodies are also there or not.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

I still need a source on that. As far as I know, it's clear which planets are in Debdeb because it's been explicitly stated (Charr, Glumo, Gurdamma), but we don't know if the other bodies are also there or not.

It was on the discussion page for Feature video 4, nate confirmed not all the planets were in Debdeb, but I can't find the page for some reason :/

It's probable there are more in Debdeb that they have shown (Like Rask & Rusk which certainly give a Debdeb vibe) but not all, I'd assume many are in that system since they're using that one much more in marketing material.

Base game as far as I know is confirmed to have at least the starting Kerbol solar system, the DebDeb system, and AT LEAST one more.

So I'm going to say "minimum 3, maximum 5 in base game, DLCs will add more (how many I don't know, depends on how long the developers intend to support KSP 2 I suppose, since the DLC is what brings in the money), and then mods will add probably 100x what the DLC adds".

That should just about cover it, at least in my opinion.