[WIP] New Generation ESA Rocket: Vega, Ariane 6....

josselin2196

After 7 years of KSP, i decided to try making a mod for my favorite game. I'm a complete noob from this field but i try to learn on the go.

This mod will  (hopefullyà consist of several rocket launcher from European space agency. 

The first rocket will be the first version of the vega light launcher:

DKdU87w.jpg

Here the first 3D model for the p80 first Stage:

orWsRVw.png

depending of learn progression with blender ( few friend actualy help me in modeling) and ksp coding, this launcher should not take many time, ariane 6 will take far longer.

I have a few question for experimented modder, first one is: It is possible to have the retro rocket on the same part of the booster or should i make them separate?

second one: Is it possible to have rcs on the same part of the booster or it should be better to make hem standalone.

last one: if there a easy way to place node so two part snap perfectly.

Thanks in advance for help.

I"m look forward to see to add a liitle brick to mod building.

To do:

Vega: Done
        P80:  Done
        Zephiro-23: Done
        Zephiro-9: Done
        AVUM: Done
        Fairing:  Done
        payload adaptor: Done

Vega C:
        P120C:  Done
        Zephiro-40: Done
        Zephiro-9: Done
        AVUM+: Done
        Fairing:  Done
        various payload adaptor: WIP

-Waterfall Config

Ariane 6:
    P120C: Done
    First Stage: Done
    Vulcain 2.1: Done
    Second Stage: Done
    Vinci: DONE
    Payload Adaptor: Done

Ariane 5 and derivative ( maybe, mod already exist)
    X

StarRider:
    WIP

SUSI:

WIP

GitHub:

https://github.com/AemerFactory/ESA_Rocket

Edited by josselin2196
Roadmap

Looking great so far. Looks like you're getting a hang of Blender. I don't know much about part modding/blender, more the programming, but I've played enough KSP to have some thoughts on a couple of your questions:

It is possible to have the retro rocket on the same part of the booster or should i make them separate?

second one: Is it possible to have rcs on the same part of the booster or it should be better to make hem standalone.

I'd definitely look closely at the BDB part pack as this contains rockets which have both inbuilt retro and rcs on some parts, but also provides some others as separate. That way you could see how it's done. Being inspired by other mods is fine.

An example might be the Scout Castor (second stage solid rocket booster) which also has built-in RCS, because it's quite particularly laid out and extremely built-in and specific, so it makes more sense. However the Apollo command module's RCS cluster is separate because it's somewhat general looking bolt-on unit.

You can see how it's done in the part's cfg file (ModuleRCSFX I believe):

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/Solids/Scout/bluedog_Scout_Castor_Inline.cfg

So if the particular retro or RCS part could be re-used, you might want to go that way, but that may make it harder to build a replica. Personally, given there are lots of similar parts, combined would probably be better?

22 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

Nice! Like the look of the models so far, might be competition for the other europe launcher mod (knes i think)

I use this mod extensively, i don't plan (for now) to make part who are already present in knes. Thanks thar the model compliment

6 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Looking great so far. Looks like you're getting a hang of Blender. I don't know much about part modding/blender, more the programming, but I've played enough KSP to have some thoughts on a couple of your questions:

I'd definitely look closely at the BDB part pack as this contains rockets which have both inbuilt retro and rcs on some parts, but also provides some others as separate. That way you could see how it's done. Being inspired by other mods is fine.

An example might be the Scout Castor (second stage solid rocket booster) which also has built-in RCS, because it's quite particularly laid out and extremely built-in and specific, so it makes more sense. However the Apollo command module's RCS cluster is separate because it's somewhat general looking bolt-on unit.

You can see how it's done in the part's cfg file (ModuleRCSFX I believe):

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/master/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/Solids/Scout/bluedog_Scout_Castor_Inline.cfg

So if the particular retro or RCS part could be re-used, you might want to go that way, but that may make it harder to build a replica. Personally, given there are lots of similar parts, combined would probably be better?

Thanks for in info, i'm curently testing different configuration

I almost finish all the vega part, and the main tank of ariane 6 if nearly completed and is use for part import testing:

Spoiler

nhbCzLx.pnggeIz9UR.pngfiuAXaL.jpg

I currently struggle to understand how baking, texturing and shadering with the blender addon and for some reason my node are on the over side of the vab:huh:. Learing curve is stuck for now. And the game lag when i need to move the part, maybe a bad collider?:confused:

1 hour ago, josselin2196 said:

I use this mod [Knes] extensively, i don't plan (for now) to make part who are already present in knes

Isn't Vega already in Knes? I don't know much about that rocket and maybe Knes has an older concept for it while you plan to do an updated version. Here's a link to a Knes Vega build.  https://github.com/tony48/Unofficial-KNES-Wiki/wiki/Vega

I would greatly appreciate your pre-built custom fairing shapes regardless of overlap between mods.

On 9/19/2022 at 11:43 PM, DeadJohn said:

Isn't Vega already in Knes? I don't know much about that rocket and maybe Knes has an older concept for it while you plan to do an updated version. Here's a link to a Knes Vega build.  https://github.com/tony48/Unofficial-KNES-Wiki/wiki/Vega

I would greatly appreciate your pre-built custom fairing shapes regardless of overlap between mods.

The vega in knes use stock part to make last stage and some booster, so i decide to do knes

More pic for wip part, @scribstar has join me for making 3d model.

YJWRfLH.png

Uaye17R.png

I have begun to import part in ksp, there are some texture imperfection to correct but looking good so fare, the vega rocket should launch this week if no problem arise.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, i will go crazy with blender who won't generate the texture as i see it in render. On another note the model for vega C and old vega are finish, i just need to make the texture. 

Some  test with part in game but i think i set the wrong axe. I will have to tweak the engine spec, i set real world value, but i think there are overpowered for Kerbin size.

KupTGOb.jpg

21 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

I will 100% use this mod when it comes out :)

Also do you have any plans for Susie? Just Wondering

Maybe later, i just began modding and there are not a lot known about it.

First part finished, the first p80 booster has been delivered for our kerbal engineer to qualify it.

Vega is finished and is in current process to be balanced. Space Rider is in working for Vega C.

Spoiler

Fko9cJh.pngOL9XPzF.png

Github repo is in progress for beta testing. I never use it so i have know idea how it work

Edited by josselin2196

21 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Will you be doing SUSIE?

This question has already been asked and answered:

On 10/5/2022 at 5:13 AM, josselin2196 said:
On 10/4/2022 at 7:32 AM, Royalswissarmyknife said:

I will 100% use this mod when it comes out :)

Also do you have any plans for Susie? Just Wondering

Maybe later, i just began modding and there are not a lot known about it.

H6L6L5g.png

Ariane 6 is in good way, the booster and fairing are the only missing piece. I will probably use B9 switch part for 62/64 Variant.

With the P120C booster nearly complete Vega C will follow shortly, and Star Rider will be next, i only need to learn about animation for the science payload bay.

Github has been updated.

Edited by josselin2196