Week World Planet Jam: The Sauwel System. v0.8: Scatterer complete! 30 worlds. 10 modders. Built in one week.

Whirligig Girl

Current version: v0.8

Download at GitHub: https://github.com/GregroxMun/WeekWorldPlanetJam/releases/ (0.8 release available)

Download at SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/3124/Week World Planet Jam (0.8 release currently being uploaded slowly--use github.)

If you want to discuss our work and more, check out my Discord.

KzlQ5fb.png

Week World Planet Jam

A collaboration between ten planet modders to create a Kerbal Space Program planet mod within the span of one week.

On 2022 August 14, at the behest of Techo, ten planet builders on the Gregrox Mods discord server came together to build a solar system together within one week, in an event called the Week World Planet Jam. We present the results of this collaboration here. The Sauwel system contains 9 planetary systems comprising 30 celestial bodies. Aside from a few initial conditions, each contributor created their planet blind, with no spoilers or hints about the other contributors' work. The system is therefore an interesting mix of different styles of planet design, resulting in a system where every planet is something of a unique oddball.

The mod is released as of September 22nd, 1 month after the "deadline" version, and includes a few tweaks, art passes, compatibility patches, and bug fixes.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/609759014384828449/1011086311416942603/unknown.png

Mod dependencies:

Mod Support:

• Scatterer: scatterer atmospheres are present on all worlds with atmospheres.
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements: Only supports shadow casting, no clouds. Install plugin only; do not install additional configs/visual packs.
  • Kronometer: Several custom clocks are included, with instructions on how to change them in the SETTINGS.cfg file.

Credits:

• Luna Gregoria (GregroxMun) - The central star Sauwel, layout of system orbits and masses, Scatterer sun lens flare, cloud map for planet d, project lead.
  • WarriorSabe - Planet b (2 objects), Scatterer sun lens flare.
  • Wolf Rayet (Exo's Lab) - Planet c (8 objects), cloud map for planet d, project lead.
  • Adstri - Planet d (1 object), polar ice caps on planet e.
  • Techo - Planet e (3 objects), project lead.
  • Marshall (Myth) - Planet f (3 objects).
  • Caps Lock - Planet g (3 objects).
  • Tholin - Planet h (6 objects).
  • CIOCIA (Cloverdove) - Planet i (1 object).
  • Jo (JoQueebious) - Planet j (2 objects).

The Homeworld and the Kerbals who Inhabit it

The interstellar starship U.S.C. Optimism intended to settle Sauwel d, only to find it a bone-dry windswept desert poor in elements vital for Kerbal biochemistry. A new homeworld had to be chosen. Elaan, Caen, and Asite Par were voted on by the crew. No one wanted to land deep in the gravity well of volcanic hothouse Elaan, but cold Caen and warm Asite Par nearly tied, with Asite Par winning by just six votes as it had much more oxygen.

Asite Par was chosen as the homeworld. It has 0.7 atmospheres of pressure, 0.68 G gravity at sea level, 0.432 Earth masses (Kerbal-scale), and a 507km radius. It's also hot, getting more illumination from Sauwel than Earth gets from the Sun, with daytime temperatures climbing over 100 degrees fahrenheit. It is kept cool enough to support water and life by high-altitude reflective dust. But Asite Par's life has had millions or even billions of years to adapt to these temperatures, and it's also nowhere near the boiling point of water.

A nasty strain of the purple lichen-like material coating the wetter regions of Asite Par had evolved to metabolize Kerbin biochemistry, and soon became a blight on Kerbal crops that was difficult to control. Even worse was the variant which attacked the algal symbionts which give Kerbals their green color. These parasitic fungus-like infections would result in death if not treated. Eventually doctors found that infected patients could endure much higher temperatures, and they could metabolize the opposite chirality sugars and other biochemicals of native Asite Par life, at least until they died. Instead, they set to work coming up with a genetically modified variant of the parasite which could entirely replace the symbiotic algae in Kerbals. This version would be stable, non-infectious, and would defend against the original parasitic strain.

Eventually, the benefits of the treatment for inhabitation on Asite Par would be studied and recognized, and many began getting the treatment done intentionally, and have the procedure done to their kids from hatching. Now, most Kerbals on Asite Par are purple, and those that aren't mostly live around the polar regions to escape the worst of the heat.

Purple Kerbals are called Parbals, which is,  depending upon who you ask, a portmanteau of "Purple Kerbal," "(Asite-)Par Kerbal," or "Parsite Kerbal."

27f7R3N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9ElKiTH.png

System layout:

Spoiler

The Sauwel planetary system contains a total of 30 objects, including one star and three gas giants, split up into nine orbits. Result is a system of similar complexity to the real-world Solar System, but with a unique layout and some strange and interesting planets.

Screenshot of the layout of the inner system: A screenshot of Kerbal Space Program with Week World Planet Jam installed. A yellow star is at the center, with three concentric circular orbits indicated close in, a slightly elliptical orbit slightly farther out, and two very elliptical orbits. The two very elliptical orbits are pointing away from each other, with their apoapsis on the opposite side of the star.

Screenshot of the layout of the outer system: A zoomed out version of the above. about twice as far away from the star as the apoapsis of the elliptical orbit from the previous image, is a circular orbit, and beyond that are two very elliptical orbits.

Sauwel

• Sauwel b Elaan
    • Sauwel b I Askilos
  • Sauwel c Reticulum
    • Sauwel c I Ribo
    • Sauwel c II Golgi
    • Sauwel c III Lyso
    • Sauwel c IV Cytosel
  • Sauwel ct Asite Par (trailing Reticulum Trojan)
  • Sauwel cg Yroptos (leading Reticulum Trojan/Greek)
    • Sauwel cg I Exular
  • Sauwel d Windswept
  • Sauwel e Caen
    • Sauwel e I Ovoidun
    • Sauwel e II Menea
  • Sauwel f Avu
    • Sauwel f I Ein
    • Sauwel f II Aire
  • Sauwel g Diredul
    • Sauwel g I Mindo
    • Sauwel g II Awoy
  • Sauwel h Ildebra
    • Sauwel h I Noir
    • Sauwel h II Kalt
    • Sauwel h III Tris
    • Sauwel h IV Nik
    • Sauwel h V Nak
  • Sauwel i Iridel
  • Sauwel j Merune
    • Sauwel j I Erica

Science/Career Compatibility

Spoiler

The following planets do not have biome maps: Askilos, Avu, Ein, Aire, Awoy, Mindo, Iridel and so use the biome map of their template.

The following planets do have science definitions flavor text: Asite Par, Yroptos, Exular, Reticulum, Ribo, Golgi, Lyso, Cytosel, Caen, Ovoidun, and Menea.

All planets have balanced science multipliers, although they tend to be a bit on the plentiful side, so given how easy career mode starting on a small planet like Asite Par is, it might be worth turning down science rewards when you start a new game.

Astrophotos

Simulated views through telescopes of each of the planets, just enough to give you a hint of what they look like, without spoiling them entirely.

Spoiler

glBVPdf.png

Elaan (right) and its binary companion Askilos (left)

FfrS9WO.png

Reticulum and its moons, from left to right, Lyso, Golgi, and Cytosel. Minor moon Ribo is too dim to show up in this image.

74jr0ML.png

Best image available of Reticulum's leading trojan: asteroid Yroptos and its minor satellite Exular

We don't have any astrophotos of Reticulum's trailing trojan, Asite Par, because we're standing on Asite Par. Don't worry--you'll get plenty of looks at it.

N10Rqe5.png

Windswept, during a period of century-long global dust storms.

https://i.imgur.com/SomZc2p.png

a sketch of Windswept drawn at the eyepiece of a Great Refractor from before Windswept's surface was semi-permanently covered in dust. Also, before the reinvention of photography.

HhSZise.png

Caen and its outer moon Menea and inner moon Ovoidun. The latter is casting a shadow onto the planet.

EIIp7w0.png

Scattered planet Avu. Its satellite Aire is barely visible to the left. Its inner satellite, Ein, is lost in the rings.

hc8HxTE.png

Right to left: giant planet Diredul, supermassive super-earth Mindo, and distant rounded Awoy.

0Omh4YG.png

Ildebra. Three of its five moons are visible here. From left to right: Noir, Tris, and Kalt. Minor moons Nik and Nak are not shown.

1yTYpPD.png

The mysterious and enigmatic distant planet Iridel.

z97kmKJ.png

Sub-Neptune (whatever that means) Merune and its tantalizingly unresolved rounded moon Erica.

Now, I did say they were simulations, but truth be told, these were made just based upon what 'looked right.' They do not represent anything like a consistent aperture, magnification, or resolution limit. Consider each of these images to be made by different astronomers with different equipment.

Screenshots

These may contain spoilers and may show inaccuracies since they were taken over the course of development.

[pending]

License

Please provide attribution both to Week World Planet Jam, and to the modder whose work you are using.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

Edited by GregroxMun

It was an absolute honor and a blast to work on this pack, some of the most fun I've had planet modding in a long time, and time spent surrounded by so many talented peers. It's fantastic to finally have a few more bits of my work out to the public after releasing MPE two and a half years ago, hopefully it won't be two and a half years until my next project releases. I hope you all have as much fun as we had making this pack together!

A lot of the same sentiment here. I got bit by burnout pretty bad, but in the end I'm glad to have participated, and glad some of my more recent work since Corelian will be visible outside of the development pages, even if it could have been better with more time lol

It's been great helping to administrate this planetjam. Wolf-Rayet (Exo's Lab) initially roped me into the project to make the system layout, but because i had no planet of my own I was free to help the other contributors and to see their progress report over the course of the week. It made the end-of-week reveal that much more rewarding for me.

In particular seeing Techo's (mrpasta44's) progress developing his very first planets has been spectacular. In the span of one week he's come a long way.

Rushing to get a functional integrated build during the final day of the planetjam did at least give me a taste of the rushed pace the rest of the contributors dealt with.

6 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Hi, these are all pre-releases and hence not on CKAN. Would you rather have us drop this dependency or use the older releases from https://github.com/StollD/KopernicusExpansion-Continued ?

Hey I cant get the mod to work? I have all the dependency's? The mods are listed in order below.

000_Harmony

Kopernincus

Modular Flight Indicator

Scatter

Scatter atmo cache

scirev

squad

squad expantion

texture replacer

week world planet jam

KEX-Common

KEX-RegonalPSQ

KEX-Vertexhightmap16

Why cant I get the mod to work?

The Kerbal skin color changes but nothing else. Kerbin and the planets are still the same.

While the pack was made obviously in a week for a planet jam which probably don’t get continued after releas (hence the planet jam time limit in the first place) , I think if this were to continue post release work could make this pack really nice. 

Regardless, an interesting idea.

Edited by smushanoob

1 hour ago, smushanoob said:

While the pack was made obviously in a week for a planet jam which probably don’t get continued after releas (hence the planet jam time limit in the first place) , I think if this were to continue post release work could make this pack really nice. 

it was worked on after the time limit, mostly some improvements on the maps and small tweaks. new bodies are very unlikely

4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, these are all pre-releases and hence not on CKAN. Would you rather have us drop this dependency or use the older releases from https://github.com/StollD/KopernicusExpansion-Continued ?

The old KEX doesn't work. that's why there's a new KEX.

Unless VabienArt wants to put their version of KEX onto CKAN in its current state, WWPJ should be removed from CKAN.

2 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

Hey I cant get the mod to work? I have all the dependency's? The mods are listed in order below.

000_Harmony

Kopernincus

Modular Flight Indicator

Scatter

Scatter atmo cache

scirev

squad

squad expantion

texture replacer

week world planet jam

KEX-Common

KEX-RegonalPSQ

KEX-Vertexhightmap16

Why cant I get the mod to work?

The Kerbal skin color changes but nothing else. Kerbin and the planets are still the same.

Do you have ModuleManager?

Is there an error message when you start the game and reach the kerbin main menu? That error message contains instructions for how to get support from planet pack developers.

Did you install Week World Planet Jam such that files that are supposed to be in GameData are actually in GameData/WeekWorldPlanetJam/GameData?c (i.e., if you just unzipped the contents of the zip file)

More info is needed.

3 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

The old KEX doesn't work. that's why there's a new KEX.

Unless VabienArt wants to put their version of KEX onto CKAN in its current state, WWPJ should be removed from CKAN.

Do you have ModuleManager?

Is there an error message when you start the game and reach the kerbin main menu? That error message contains instructions for how to get support from planet pack developers.

Did you install Week World Planet Jam such that files that are supposed to be in GameData are actually in GameData/WeekWorldPlanetJam/GameData?c (i.e., if you just unzipped the contents of the zip file)

More info is needed.

Yea I have modal manager, yea so I unzipped the file twice, and I saw  Texture replacer sci rev and weekworld planet jam. I put them all in game data. There was no message when I loaded the game and reached kerbin in the main menu, the only thing different was the Kerbal skin color.  https://www.deviantart.com/skyfitu/art/C-Users-skyfr-Desktop-New-folder-GameData-9-23-20-930534704

The link is what my game data folder looks like.

1 hour ago, smushanoob said:

17 minutes ago, Clonos said:

it was worked on after the time limit, mostly some improvements on the maps and small tweaks. new bodies are very unlikely

Correct.

We plan on implementing scatterer support for the other atmospheric bodies which do not yet have them, complete biome maps for all planets, and possibly science definitions. I'd also like to make a few sun intensity curve models to be switched between in the SETTINGS.cfg. Seeing the light dim as Diredul reaches apoapsis might be very cool. But I don't want anything to be too bright or too dim, either.

Some of the developers have left their work finished as-is and aren't interested in doing further work on WWPJ, so the science definitions will have to be split between those of us who are still involved in polishing and maintenance.

The biggest incomplete aspect right now is Windswept, which was never finished before the deadline, since Adstri had an emergency. There's a large square which covers most of a hemisphere which is finished, and beautifully detailed at that, but the rest of the planet is at a low resolution. Our solution for this was to cover it in a global dust storm map in scaledspace which is slightly transparent over where the terrain is finished, so you know which region to land in. I added a biome map which also indicates the finished vs unfinished region.

One day we'd like to finish Windswept and perhaps get rid of the dust storm obscuring everything. Windswept being unfinished is the main reason the initial release is called 0.7 and not 1.0--but it's the only body likely to be changed significantly.

1 minute ago, Sky Kerman said:

Yea I have modal manager, yea so I unzipped the file twice, and I saw  Texture replacer sci rev and weekworld planet jam. I put them all in game data. There was no message when I loaded the game and reached kerbin in the main menu, the only thing different was the Kerbal skin color.  https://www.deviantart.com/skyfitu/art/C-Users-skyfr-Desktop-New-folder-GameData-9-23-20-930534704

The link is what my game data folder looks like.

you could upload these screenshots to imgur rather than filling up a deviantart account with them.

KEX needs to be all in one folder called KopernicusExpansion. Delete the KEX files and reinstall that mod. Just install all of the plugin files rather than picking just the ones that are listed as dependencies.

Also, and this won't help the game work better, but consider getting EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-redux, which WWPJ supports shadow-casting for. there's a few locations for which this looks really spectacular.

v0.8 - Scatterer Complete!

link: https://github.com/GregroxMun/WeekWorldPlanetJam/releases/tag/0.8

This release was going to be a few days ago, and include just a few important bugfixes (particularly, fixing a fade value on Avu, and fixing career science balancing on Asite Par), but I decided to wait and finish scatterer atmospheres first.

I also changed the kronometer link in the forum OP, so if you downloaded the original Sigma version of kronometer, delete that and install the LinuxGuruGamer version. https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Kronometer/releases

Every atmospheric planet now has a scatterer atmosphere.

Planets

• Add AtmosphereFromGround (stock up-close atmosphere visuals) to Avu.
  • Fix a bug where Avu would go transparent at certain altitudes; Avu will now remain opaque from any altitude.
  • Even less placeholdery atmosphere for Windswept. About the same pressure and height, but now with well-defined pressure and temperature curves and a canon atmospheric composition.
  • Regenerate scaledspace cache on Caen, Menea, and Ovoidun, to account for a change made before v0.7.

Scatterer

• Add scatterer atmospheres for Windswept, Avu, and Erica.
    • Note: In WWPJ's SETTINGS.cfg is an option to use a cloudless map for Windswept. This isn't a new feature, but it works well with Windswept's scatterer integration.
  • Tweak scatterer atmospheres for Ildebra and Noir to make them a little more consistent.
  • Roughly half the scale height on Mindo's scatterer atmosphere visuals.

Career Integration

• Reduce the AntennaRange to 30% of stock. (antenna range can be increased in the game settings if you want it back to normal)
  • Fix the default Asite Par science values so they are no longer comically high. (Fixing career progression)
  • Make Asite Par science values dependant upon homeworld mode. (They are higher when homeworld is set to Kerbin)
  • Make it impossible to generate ore contracts for Sauwel, Askilos, Diredul, Ildebra, and Merune.
  • Change some names involved in contracts.

• 3 weeks later...

for version 0.8 only.

Hotfix for Elaan's atmospheric oxygen. Elaan was always intended to have breathable levels of oxygen, but somehow that got left out. Here's how to fix it:

• Download 0_Sauwel_b.cfg here and replace the file in WeekWorldPlanetJam/KopernicusFiles/1_Sauwel_b
  • OR open the existing file WeekWorldPlanetJam/KopernicusFiles/1_Sauwel_b/0_Sauwel_b.cfg in notepad or notepad++, go to line 153 in the atmosphere node, and replace "oxygen = false" with "oxygen = True"
  • I'm too lazy to go and update the zip file. The next version will include this properly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/18/2023 at 11:53 AM, ABOBA said:

Can someone write links to all the dependencies of this mod. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, all that changes after installation is the color of the kerbals in the main menu.

Mod dependencies:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.