[WIP] [1.12.x] StockRealism - Making the stock solar system more realistic.

Zombie_Striker

cEZKvu0.png

Stock Realism

Stock Realism is a collection of patches to make the Kerbol system reflect the real Solar System. More will be added in the future (Once I get the hang of modding KSP :p)

Current Features:

• Moves Bop and Gilly to Duna, to simulate Phobos and Deimos
  • Moved Ike to Jool to simulate Callisto
  • Moved Minmus to Saturn to simulate Enceladus(Or moved to Eeloo to simulate Charon if using the No OPM version)
  • Moved Pol to be closer to Jool to simulate Io, and rearanged the Jool system to be more stable (moved Laythe and Tylo further away)
  • Recolored Eve to be more Yellowish like Venus
  • Recolored Jool to be more Jupiter-like
  • Recolored Tekto (*if you have OPM installed) to look more like Titan
  • Recolored Neidon to be more blue
  • Altered the Mun so it is at a 6 degree inclination, to simulate Moon.

If you do not want a patch, you can delete the .cfg file for it in the StockRealism folder.

DevLog:

Spoiler

Initial Release

Dependencies:

Imgur Album (Still WIP)
https://imgur.com/a/Cvwvs7Z

Dowload on SpaceDock:
https://spacedock.info/mod/3125/StockRealism

Github (The No OPM Version can be found there):
https://github.com/ZombieStriker/StockRealism/releases

To Professional Modders:
This is my first mod for KSP, so if you have any advice or suggestions I can make to the config files, let me know so I can learn. Thanks.

Edited by Zombie_Striker

2 hours ago, Zombie_Striker said:

To Professional Modders:
This is my first mod for KSP, so if you have any advice or suggestions I can make to the config files, let me know so I can learn. Thanks.

Hi, congrats on the release! I'm looking at this for CKAN, and I wanted to let you know that the .version file is only checked if it is included inside the download ZIP. Right now you've got one on the GitHub repo only.

Sounds good! Do you have a non OPM version?

If you did then Minmus should go to Eeloo to simulate Charon.   Also use Kopernicus to increase science from Minmus too.

I'd give the Mun a 6  degree tilt, as really you should have a launch centre  that can launch the (and there is a dlc one or stock one launch site that is a 6 degrees?) the point of the inclination should be a need for transfer windows or the right inclination.  And the rest of the IRL solar system is inclined massively so 6 degrees is a good compromise.  And it is also Minmus stock inclination.

I'd also move the Mun out to need 3 days or 18 hours to reach.  That would be more 'realistic' too.

On 9/23/2022 at 2:35 AM, Dafni said:

There you go! Plz ignore my post in your other thread :D

Well, after reading your post, it made me realize I could make my own mod for it. Turns out it was simpler than I thought (Even if it did take 4 hours to learn ModuleManager)

22 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, congrats on the release! I'm looking at this for CKAN, and I wanted to let you know that the .version file is only checked if it is included inside the download ZIP. Right now you've got one on the GitHub repo only.

Thanks! I put it in the new update on spacedock. Lets see if that works.

9 hours ago, Seadragon420 said:

bro this is amazing, also third

Fifth.

2 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Sounds good! Do you have a non OPM version?

If you did then Minmus should go to Eeloo to simulate Charon.   Also use Kopernicus to increase science from Minmus too.

I'd give the Mun a 6  degree tilt, as really you should have a launch centre  that can launch the (and there is a dlc one or stock one launch site that is a 6 degrees?) the point of the inclination should be a need for transfer windows or the right inclination.  And the rest of the IRL solar system is inclined massively so 6 degrees is a good compromise.  And it is also Minmus stock inclination.

I'd also move the Mun out to need 3 days or 18 hours to reach.  That would be more 'realistic' too.

1. I do now! Github now has a package specifically for non OPM users.
  2. The Non-OPM version also now has Minmus as Charon. Not entirely sure how to increase the science tho.
  3. You're right about the six degree Mun. I changed the both versions so its 6 degrees instead of 20.6. Looks a bit better too.
  4. I also moved the moon out to 29Mm, which should increase the time enough to be a bit closer to realism. Tested it, and it takes about 3 days to travel to the mun.

On 9/24/2022 at 9:33 AM, Zombie_Striker said:

Well, after reading your post, it made me realize I could make my own mod for it. Turns out it was simpler than I thought (Even if it did take 4 hours to learn ModuleManager)

Glad I could inspire you and I am amazed how quickly you picked it up and how well your little project turned out in such a little time! Way to go @Zombie_Striker!! And congrats on the release!! Great stuff!

6 hours ago, Zombie_Striker said:

Yes, it does work with Parallax. I want to try to remove those bubbles from Eve eventually, once I figure out how.

Ah thanks, ill install this mod as soon as i get my pc back from maintence, But Quick question which mod version of this would you afvise to use opm or No opm

19 hours ago, CalvonVulcan said:

Ah thanks, ill install this mod as soon as i get my pc back from maintence, But Quick question which mod version of this would you afvise to use opm or No opm

If you're going for solar system realism, I recommend using the OPM version, as that gives all the planets for a more realistic playthrough. However, No OPM is also fine.

The only thing I noticed is that for the regular gameplay, without minmus there for easy science, the early game is a bit harder, and requires more Mun missions before Duna, and since Gilly and Bop are now both in Duna's SOI, that becomes a better target for science.

5 hours ago, Zombie_Striker said:

If you're going for solar system realism, I recommend using the OPM version, as that gives all the planets for a more realistic playthrough. However, No OPM is also fine.

The only thing I noticed is that for the regular gameplay, without minmus there for easy science, the early game is a bit harder, and requires more Mun missions before Duna, and since Gilly and Bop are now both in Duna's SOI, that becomes a better target for science.

K thanks, cant Wait to try this out once my pc is fixed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

CanI make a suggestion thay you use the kopernicus configs to alter the science multipliers.  With Minmus gone, make the Mun 3, 3.5, 5 for landing.  Then it gives a boost to science collection before heading to Duna.  You may want to increase Minmus as well otherwise it is low compared to other equivalent moons.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:57 PM, Zombie_Striker said:

The only thing I noticed is that for the regular gameplay, without minmus there for easy science, the early game is a bit harder, and requires more Mun missions before Duna

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.