"Get out and Push"

Koooooj

(I don't know if there is a better place to put this, so I put it here. :) )

I noticed that when Kerbals enter a command capsule, their RCS fuel is refilled. Using this idea, I wondered, is it possible for a Kerbal to "Get out and push"? Now, rather than just asking the question, I went and tried it out. I put a command pod on a highly elliptic orbit with periapsis just outside of atmosphere, waited to apoapsis, then had my brave Kerbalnaut get out and rcs against the pod for a few seconds. I only managed to change the velocity by a few m/s, but I got some "free" delta V and managed to save a Kerbal that would have otherwise been doomed.

Now, I don't think this is a game changer in any way. To go anywhere meaningful you would need enormous amounts of time babysitting the command pod, but I do think it's amusing, and a testament to the physics engine, even in its alpha state. Also, it means that stranded Kerbals in a pod in deep space aren't as doomed as they may have thought--they can always just push their pods to the nearest planet, and hope that the devs don't add a limit to the amount of EVA RCS fuel a pod carries.

I actually tried this back before the EVA pack had limited fuel. It's certainly possible, but it takes FOREVER to do anything meaningful (eg, deorbit your spacecraft)

Your old avatar was way cooler.

On topic: This would maybe be helpful in achieving a PERFECTLY circular orbit since it's so hard to inch those last couple meters. Use a little EVA finesse!

I wish there were a way for the Kerbals to grab onto floating objects. I know I can stick a ladder onto everything but that would attach the kerbal to the object.

Say you have a booster floating a couple meters from you, say you want to deploy a satellite, a kerbal should be able to just grasp the thing and pull or push it somewhere with the EVA pack

I wish there were a way for the Kerbals to grab onto floating objects. I know I can stick a ladder onto everything but that would attach the kerbal to the object.

Say you have a booster floating a couple meters from you, say you want to deploy a satellite, a kerbal should be able to just grasp the thing and pull or push it somewhere with the EVA pack

Easy solution, allow use of RCS packs while on a ladder. And fix the bug where Kerbals are entirely unable to remain in one spot on a ladder attached to an accelerating object.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.