RP-1 on Linux Mint 21 - Can't enter Space Centre buildings so I can't start a game. [SOLVED]

Hello All,

I can't get RP-1 to work on Linux Mint 21.  (I've also got an unmodded stock install of 1.12.3 which works perfectly.)

For the RP-1 install I followed the latest installation instructions to the letter. Fresh install of KSP 1.12.3 followed by CKAN, Realistic Progression One (RP-1) Express Install and all the automatically recommended extra mods.

The game starts OK, although I get a message "Missing RSS Texture Pack" during loading (RSS-Textures folder is present and correct in GameData). I can choose New Game and get as far as the Space Centre screen. All the toolbar buttons work but the pause menu won't allow me to save or exit the game. I can't enter any buildings except the Astronaut Complex and the exit button doesn't work there so I can't get back out of it. All I can do is Alt-Tab out of the game and close it from the desktop.

One oddity I noticed is that there's an orphaned GameData folder in my Home folder which contains a few different files to the proper GameData folder in the KSP installation. It was added sometime during the installation process by CKAN. I tried copying the additional files into the game but that didn't make any difference.

I've searched for posts about this problem but couldn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Elbows
Solved

4 hours ago, Elbows said:

One oddity I noticed is that there's an orphaned GameData folder in my Home folder which contains a few different files to the proper GameData folder in the KSP installation. It was added sometime during the installation process by CKAN.

Do you happen to remember which files/folders were in this orphaned GameData? If CKAN is doing that, we'd want to investigate why.

11 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Do you happen to remember which files/folders were in this orphaned GameData? If CKAN is doing that, we'd want to investigate why.

There are 2 folders plus subfolders in the orphaned GameData folder:

Home/GameData/PatchManager/ActiveMMPatches

Home/GameData/PatchManager/PluginData/PatchManager.cfg

and

Home/GameData/RSSVE/Configs/Misc_Configs/RSSVE_Settings_Config.cfg

Must admit I just assumed that it was CKAN as I hadn't put it there myself and it wasn't there before. I'll try deleting everything and starting again with a new installation just to make sure.

I've just done a complete reinstall of 1.12.3 plus CKAN plus RP-1 Express and there' s no orphaned GameData this time. Must have come from somewhere else although I've no idea where.

And now the game works properly! The only difference with this install is that I selected medium res textures instead of high res during the RP-1 install.

Sorry for the false alarm. I should have tried a reinstall before posting.

6 hours ago, Elbows said:

There are 2 folders plus subfolders in the orphaned GameData folder:

Home/GameData/PatchManager/ActiveMMPatches

Home/GameData/PatchManager/PluginData/PatchManager.cfg

and

Home/GameData/RSSVE/Configs/Misc_Configs/RSSVE_Settings_Config.cfg

Thanks! I think those are bugs in those mods. They save their settings to relative paths without prepending the game's path, which works fine if you run the game from inside the game folder, but creates an orphaned GameData if you run it from somewhere else. Luckily they're being maintained by @linuxgurugamer and the KSP-RO team respectively, so I'll look into sending pull requests upstream to fix this...

... done:

Edited by HebaruSan

7 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Thanks! I think those are bugs in those mods. They save their settings to relative paths without prepending the game's path, which works fine if you run the game from inside the game folder, but creates an orphaned GameData if you run it from somewhere else. Luckily they're being maintained by @linuxgurugamer and the KSP-RO team respectively, so I'll look into sending pull requests upstream to fix this...

... done:

Ummm, that was a bug in an old version of PatchManager.  It was fixed in version 0.0.14, it 's now up to 0.0.17.5

10 hours ago, Elbows said:

I've just done a complete reinstall of 1.12.3 plus CKAN plus RP-1 Express and there' s no orphaned GameData this time. Must have come from somewhere else although I've no idea where.

And now the game works properly! The only difference with this install is that I selected medium res textures instead of high res during the RP-1 install.

Sorry for the false alarm. I should have tried a reinstall before posting.

Without a log file I can't confirm this, but as I said, the fix was done, and I just looked at the code to confirm it.  When you did the full reinstall with CKAN, it downloaded the correct version of the code

54 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, that was a bug in an old version of PatchManager.  It was fixed in version 0.0.14, it 's now up to 0.0.17.5

I'm guessing you fixed a different occurrence of the same bug, based on your comments on the fix PR, because what I'm talking about still exists in the master branch and was just reported to have occurred by a user.

54 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

When you did the full reinstall with CKAN, it downloaded the correct version of the code

@Elbows probably ran KSP from the game folder (or not at all?) on the second try. CKAN probably didn't download anything differently, since nothing about CKAN was changed. Most importantly, CKAN does not install any of the files that were found in the orphaned GameData folder; they're all created at runtime in-game.

Edited by HebaruSan

On 9/26/2022 at 4:59 PM, HebaruSan said:

guessing you fixed a different occurrence of the same bug, based on your comments on the fix PR, because what I'm talking about still exists in the master branch and was just reported to have occurred by a user

You are correct, I'll get your PR merged later today

In case this information is useful:

The orphaned GameData folder has shown up again, I noticed it after I exited KSP.

Patch Manager version is 0.0.17.5 according to CKAN.

I used  the Cinnamon app menu to start KSP for both installs and the shortcut points directly to KSPLauncher.x86_64 in the game folder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.