RCS not working in docking mode

I am trying to dock a large module to another for a Duna run, and the RCS isn't working in docking mode. I have monopropellant, EC, and the RCS works when I rotate the module around with SAS headings, but the shift-ctrl-wasd aren't doing anything in linear or rotation docking mode. I've never had a module just refuse to respond to docking controls, so I'm confused. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

16 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

I am trying to dock a large module to another for a Duna run, and the RCS isn't working in docking mode. I have monopropellant, EC, and the RCS works when I rotate the module around with SAS headings, but the shift-ctrl-wasd aren't doing anything in linear or rotation docking mode. I've never had a module just refuse to respond to docking controls, so I'm confused. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I think docking mode changes the controls, try docking in normal RCS mode instead?

Docking mode does change the controls.  If you're having this problem, then it is possible that you have a keybinding issue or a conflict of some sort in your settings.

However, it seems more likely to me that you have a CommNet problem.  Are you playing with comms, as well?  You might be having a problem where your radio signal (or lack thereof, actually) is only letting you have 'limited control', in which case it's not a docking mode issue at all.  Does the vessel respond to rotation input when you turn SAS off?

It may help to know that in normal flight mode, WASD provides rotational control (technically, it's WASDQE, because roll is a thing in three dimensions), and IJKL provides translational control (technically again, it's IJKLHN for a similar reason).  The nice thing about that is that it allows you to have simultaneous control of rotational and translational motion, and also doesn't train you to press the shift key for anything other than engine throttle.

19 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I think docking mode changes the controls, try docking in normal RCS mode instead? Are the RCS thrusters set to dorsal/ventral, core/aft and port/starboard in their actuation toggles?

17 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

Docking mode does change the controls.  If you're having this problem, then it is possible that you have a keybinding issue or a conflict of some sort in your settings.

However, it seems more likely to me that you have a CommNet problem.  Are you playing with comms, as well?  You might be having a problem where your radio signal (or lack thereof, actually) is only letting you have 'limited control', in which case it's not a docking mode issue at all.  Does the vessel respond to rotation input when you turn SAS off?

It may help to know that in normal flight mode, WASD provides rotational control (technically, it's WASDQE, because roll is a thing in three dimensions), and IJKL provides translational control (technically again, it's IJKLHN for a similar reason).  The nice thing about that is that it allows you to have simultaneous control of rotational and translational motion, and also doesn't train you to press the shift key for anything other than engine throttle.

Thanks folks. For unknown reasons, with this particular vehicle (I've tested it three times now) it will periodically stop responding to the correct keys in docking mode. If I go to map mode and then back, they start working again. Utterly senseless but there it is :) I appreciate the thoughtful replies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.