KSP 1.12.3 will not start on Mojave

I have downloaded the zip of 1.12.3 for OS X.  It is completely unmodifed.  When I open the KSP.app application, I get a black screen with a orange rectangle down near the bottom.

I'm running Mojave.  I find no KSP.log file in the KSP_osx directory.

I have tried chmod-ing the KSP_osx directory and removing the unity saved state file.  Neither of which helped.

KSP 1.7.2 runs just fine on my machine.  My kid wants to upgrade to 1.12.3 though.  :shrug:

Any ideas?

@jora welcome to the forum. Try a different way of opening it, such as right clicking ksp.app and select "show package contents" from the right-click menu, and open the Unix Executable File "ksp" using terminal located in "ksp.app"->"contents"->"MacOS"->"ksp". I might be wrong, but if you downloaded ksp as a zip file (not the installer thing), I think what you described (the "black screen with an orange rectangle at the bottom") is a result of directly clicking the "ksp.app" and not following the aforementioned procedure. To be fair, I have no idea why that needs to be done (I'm not a computer scientist) but it worked for me (after a lot of trial and error) when I first started playing ksp a long time ago. By the way, have you downloaded and opened ksp v1.12.3 in the same way as  you did in v1.7.2? Hope this helps!

Here’s what works for me:

• Open the KSP folder in a finder window.
  • Locate the KSP app.  This is the file you click on to run, and has a Kerbal icon next to it.
  • Drag that app file to the desktop, and drop it on the desktop.
  • Next, drag the file from the desktop back to the folder where KSP is located.  (Right back to where you found it..)
  • Double click the app, it should start just fine now.

You only need to do that the first time you run a new download of KSP, after doing that procedure once you won’t need to do it again.  I have no idea why this works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.