CommNet is choosing a weak direct signal path instead of a much stronger relay

When and how often does the game recalculate CommNet signal path? Is there any setting to change that?

It seems like my playthrough is favoring direct KSC connections even when stronger relays are available. I don't recall ever having this problem before. I don't think I'm using any new antenna mods. Planet pack is GPP 2.5x and that's new to me. Prior playthroughs were with JNSQ or KSRSS at similar 2.5-2.7 scales.

My only enabled ground station is KSC. I have some huge relays (JX2 mod) in orbit that are much stronger than the KSC DSN. Distant ships in lunar orbit are sometimes connecting directly to KSC with fairly weak signals, instead of bouncing through the JX2 relays where they'd get close to 100% signal strength. If I wait until KSC gets blocked by the home planet then I immediately get the stronger signals, so my JX2 relays had line of sight before and should have been used.

This hurts my science transmission returns if I transmit at the wrong time. My workaround was to boost the DSN multiplier but I'm curious what's going on.

GameData folders in spoiler.

Spoiler

Mods by directory (sub directories of GameData):
  000_ClickThroughBlocker
  000_FilterExtensions
  000_FilterExtensions_Configs
  000_Harmony
  000_Toolbar
  000_USITools
  001_ToolbarControl
  999_KSP-Recall
  B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
  BahaSP
  Benjee10_Orion
  Benjee10_sharedAssets
  BetterTimeWarp
  ColdWarAerospace
  CommNetAntennasExtension
  CommunityCategoryKit
  CommunityRealAgencyPack
  CommunityResourcePack
  CommunityTechTree
  ContractPacks
  CryoEnginesNFAero
  DMagicUtilities
  EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
  Fox'sProfiles
  GPP_Rescale
  HabTechProps
  JX2Antenna
  KerbalJointReinforcement
  Kerbaltek
  KGEx
  KspCraftOrganizer
  KSP_PartVolume
  MinimumAmbientLightingUpdated
  MoarFilterExtensionConfigs
  ModularLaunchPads
  NearFutureProps
  Nereid
  OSSNTR
  Palette
  RationalResources
  RealPlume-Stock
  RemoteTechRedev
  Shaddy
  SimpleAdjustableFairings-KWRocketry
  SituationModuleInfo
  SpaceTuxLibrary
  Squad
  SquadExpansion
  TrackingStationEvolved
  TriggerTech
  TweakScale
  TweakScaleCompanion
  UmbraSpaceIndustries
  WildBlueIndustries
  zFinal_FilterExtensions
  _JVSPatches
  _JVSSunflare

I think this is a stock feature, direct connections to the ground are preferred over relayed connections even if the relay gives a stronger signal. I could be completely wrong about that, but I believe I've seen others saying something similar before.

As for solving it- CommNet Constellations might be a good bet, it allows you to put different antennae on different frequencies so you could set all your long-range missions to use the same frequency as the big relays and use a different frequency to connect the relays to the ground station(s). I've used it to create planet-specific networks so that I only need a few powerful relays and everything else can use short-range communications systems to save weight, cost, power etc.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.