Land on Jool... (Yes it's possible)

Aliquido

Try your challenge yourself first, impossible challenges arent fun for anyone, I see your new to the forum, so welcome, I hope you have a good time here, and assuming the next challenge you post is possible, I would gladly take part

Edited by kspnerd122

On 9/27/2022 at 9:02 PM, Aliquido said:

Land on Jool and take a surface sample, EVA Report, and plant a flag. Yes, it is possible to land on Jool. Look it up.

Ok, I did look it up. According to the KSP wiki it is not possible to land on Jool:

Jool has no solid surface to land on; descending spacecraft will explode when they reach the altitude of -250 m. The message "... collided with Cloud" will be displayed in the mission summary. The game may glitch out and corrupt the save. Prior to version 0.23, it was possible to land on a solid surface, though spacecraft were inevitably and invariably devoured by the Kraken.

Source: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Jool. This matches my own experience in trying to land on Jool. My own experiments went as described: the craft will explode once you reach -250 meters, although I haven't experienced glitches or corrupt saves as a result.

As to the note on "prior to version 0.23": Version 0.23 was released back in 2013. I don't think many people will be willing to play such an old version of the game, just to be able to complete this challenge.

That said, by all means prove us wrong. Fly your own mission where you land on Jool, take a surface sample, plant a flag and get back to Jool orbit, and present video evidence of your mission here.

Edited by QF9E

At a certain altitude there's a barrier which represents being crushed by atmospheric pressure (or the like). An occasional glitch might allow a craft to contact that without being destroyed and sit on it for a while, but it's very buggy and the craft usually jitters around until it breaks apart. Science cannot be collected from it. (Or at least that's how it was the last time I tried it.) 

For the record, HoDeok was able to get a craft stable in the "Landed at Jool" state by transferring a craft in the landed state all the way to Jool. Notably, this effect will transfer between crafts - a craft landed on an already-landed Jool platform will also be landed. So you can indeed get surface science from Jool.

Likely this is what the OP was thinking about, but it's a pretty niche mechanic and I don't fault everyone here for not knowing about it.

Edit: Apparently they were thinking about something else entirely. But the challenge is definitely possible, if a bit tedious.

Edited by camacju

• 2 weeks later...

Back around KSP 1.7 times, Jool had an surface, this was just after flags got released so I tried to plant an flag on Jool. 
Used an airship mod to let me float just about the 0 meter attitude, then I used an KAS winch to lower Jeb down to the -200 meter surface. Now on the surface he was tossed around and I was not able to plant a flag even if trying for many minutes so I gave up winched him up and had him climb to the top of the accent rocket, dumped the deorbit and winch module and fully inflated the balloons. 
At max attitude I jettisoned the balloons and burned back to orbit there Jeb was recovered 
Submitted it as an fun bug report. 

Next version did not have the surface and Jool was transparent at low attitude as in a couple of kilometer above 0, yes you see trough it and can see moons on the other side. 
Still think its so but not been down there for some time. 

5 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

But what if you use a flying platform, and land a ship on it? Would it be considered as "landed"?

The vessel you land on has to itself be landed in order for it to count like that.

In HoDeok's video that Camacju mentioned earlier, HoDeok used a specially designed platform to glance off of Vall's surface during a flyby, exploiting a glitch to pick up the landed state despite not actually having landed, and then flying to Jool in real time in order to keep it technically landed until low in Jool's atmosphere. He's then able to land on it while it just floats there due to another exploit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.