just how to create a proper seaplane in ksp???

landplane is easy and all, so i decided to create a seaplane

no problem when i take off, but when i land, its always flippin' over

JUST HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM HUH, I AINT GOT ANY SOLUTIONS, HELP PLZ

p.s: my plane is a flying boat, not a floatplane

if u dont know how it looks like, then here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Is7b3viQ6OByeOriPwZWwUJYi8b2hQkS?usp=sharing

the craft file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KFoP-Msb2Ie8YClnOlUTvfoBOQFXNNxN/view?usp=sharing

Edited by quangdinh

46 minutes ago, quangdinh said:

Hi. Have you checked where your centre of mass is when you build it in the SPH? KSP uses what is called a "Drag Cube" which is calculation of the volume of the parts, it uses this for both flying and buoyancy. Due to this parts that you think might sink end up sitting bobbing on the top of the water as if it was made of jello. If your centre of mass is too high then when you land on the water the buoyancy will cause you to flip so that the heaviest point is closest to the water. So you need to clip inside your craft near the bottom, fuel tanks or other things that will cause your centre of mass to be low.

1 hour ago, quangdinh said:

but when i land, its always flippin' over

If you want some examples to look at these are some I use a lot from Kerbal X. 

1. Platypus
  2. KC-10A-Seabird
  3. Maik-McSeaplane

The trick to good seaplane landings is coming in at a with your nose pitched up and a speed less than 60m/s with a vertical speed between  -1 m/s  to -5 m/s   

On 9/29/2022 at 12:52 PM, quangdinh said:

your problem is very unusual. my experience with seaplanes is that getting them to take off from water is very hard, while landing is very easy. I can't even imagine a sea plane that flips in contact with water. make a U-turn, that it can do, but a destructive flipping? I don't think I'd be able to do it if I wanted.

more details needed. show us your plane and tell us how you're flying it

19 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

your problem is very unusual. my experience with seaplanes is that getting them to take off from water is very hard, while landing is very easy. I can't even imagine a sea plane that flips in contact with water. make a U-turn, that it can do, but a destructive flipping? I don't think I'd be able to do it if I wanted.

I made an seaplane who was unable to take of as in lifting its nose enough to take of. However managed to dive by accident, did an underwater loop and shoot out of the water as TWR was above 1. Yes this is not very realistic for an jet powered plane :cool: 

On 10/2/2022 at 6:08 AM, king of nowhere said:

On 9/30/2022 at 12:24 AM, Vanamonde said:

What does it look like? 

here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Is7b3viQ6OByeOriPwZWwUJYi8b2hQkS?usp=sharing

On 10/3/2022 at 6:43 PM, ColdJ said:

@quangdinh

Yep, from the pics your centre of mass is up too high.

If any of those tanks around the wings have fuel then you need to empty them. If you still want the range then clip tanks inside down near the keel.

well actually my plane runs on electricity, it uses Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators to generate electricity

On 10/3/2022 at 6:25 PM, Caerfinon said:

Can you add the .craft file of the aircraft to Google Drive? 

here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KFoP-Msb2Ie8YClnOlUTvfoBOQFXNNxN/view?usp=sharing

On 10/3/2022 at 7:00 PM, king of nowhere said:

i think the propellers are too high. they push the plane above the center of mass, causing it to pitch.  but i'm not a huge expert on planes

well i have to do that or else the propeller blades will be doomed by smashin to the water

On 10/3/2022 at 7:00 PM, king of nowhere said:

i think the propellers are too high. they push the plane above the center of mass, causing it to pitch.  but i'm not a huge expert on planes

On 10/3/2022 at 6:43 PM, ColdJ said:

@quangdinh

Yep, from the pics your centre of mass is up too high.

If any of those tanks around the wings have fuel then you need to empty them. If you still want the range then clip tanks inside down near the keel.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:25 PM, Caerfinon said:

Can you add the .craft file of the aircraft to Google Drive? 

yo, you guys forgot about me

1 hour ago, quangdinh said:

you guys forgot about me

Your aricraft is too front heavy. When you get up to speed on launch it wants to submerge like a  submarine (don't get me wrong, I LOVE subs).

This is the weight to lift of your craft. 

2ds3lNi.png

I simply adjusted the weight and lift of your main wing assembly towards the rear of the aircraft like so... 

piceqhT.png

And the results were easier take offs and the plane not diving for the seabed 

MpzBfBY.png

For landing,  at 3 notches of throttle you get a airspeed of 45 m/s. Set pitch to 4 degrees and you get a gentle -2m/s vertical speed. it lands like a feather floating on air 

GTCmFiy.png

No flips. 

AQkEzpQ.png

Edited by Caerfinon

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 11:01 PM, Caerfinon said:

Your aricraft is too front heavy. When you get up to speed on launch it wants to submerge like a  submarine (don't get me wrong, I LOVE subs).

This is the weight to lift of your craft. 

2ds3lNi.png

I simply adjusted the weight and lift of your main wing assembly towards the rear of the aircraft like so... 

piceqhT.png

And the results were easier take offs and the plane not diving for the seabed 

MpzBfBY.png

For landing,  at 3 notches of throttle you get a airspeed of 45 m/s. Set pitch to 4 degrees and you get a gentle -2m/s vertical speed. it lands like a feather floating on air 

GTCmFiy.png

No flips. 

AQkEzpQ.png

thanks alot

can you give me the craft file?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.