Show and Tell - Jool Flyby

Ghostii_Space

my dream shot of jupiter has the camera low enough near the atmosphere that you can see the volume of the clouds.
that kinda helped scratch that itch a bit...

can't wait to send probes and kerbals there in ksp2

(hopefully on my m1 pro macbook pro)

Exhibit A: The first gameplay footage of Jurassic World Evolution 2, showing footage labeled pre-alpha. Released on June 25, 2021. 

Spoiler

Exhibit B: The launch trailer for Jurassic World Evolution 2, advertising that the game is available for purchase. Released on November 9, 2021. 

Spoiler

If they can go from pre-alpha to release in a bit over 4 months, I'm pretty sure the KSP 2 guys are gonna be fine.

HOLY GUACOMOLE 

Jool has gone from boring to beautiful

Look at those volumetric clouds

And those crispy, modern, graphics. So gorgeous

This kind of new release points to still active development on KSP 2, and with this, the game may be moving towards release at the expected time of next year :0

On 10/9/2022 at 7:49 PM, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

If they can go from pre-alpha to release in a bit over 4 months, I'm pretty sure the KSP 2 guys are gonna be fine.

jurassic world is a highly asset-based game with few complex mechanics, easy to make and mostly feature-complete at the time they showed the early alpha footage

meanwhile ksp2 is still struggling with its core mechanics, on the backend, we probably wont even see multiplayer on release

Edited by Fullmetal Analyst

6 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

meanwhile ksp2 is still struggling with its core mechanics, on the backend, we probably wont even see multiplayer on release

What's your source on that? Do you work for them? As far as I can tell, all this argument is ever backed up by is "well, they haven't shown off the full game yet, so clearly they're in trouble", but that's just how marketing works. They never show off the whole thing before it's released.

Moving back on topic, the new clouds look cool!

The game is dying and will be delayed for nineteen more years, that's why they're actively ramping up marketing and clearly leading to a wider marketing campaign. 

Also correct me if Im wrong, but isnt a very large chunk of the work that goes for planets is asset based same with the parts? Most planets arent going to be rusk and rask and not require changes to the physics engine to have them work, so I feel like the majority of the work would just be the art direction, mapping and all that jazz. For engines most of them seem really easy to implement on the code framework if you have that framework, which we already know they do at this point. 

16 hours ago, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

but that's just how marketing works.

https://sbox.facepunch.com/news/september2022

thats how marketing works

that closet dev stuff is totally 2010, as a former indie studio they should know better...

15 hours ago, Strawberry said:

implement on the code framework if you have that framework, which we already know they do at this point. 

source?

57 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

https://sbox.facepunch.com/news/september2022

thats how marketing works

that closet dev stuff is totally 2010, as a former indie studio they should know better

If you're selling game engine/3D modeling add-ons, that is exactly how you market them.

Game marketing usually will show that type of stuff when everything is finalized and the release date is near, rarely before.

Put yourself in Intercept's shoes for a moment. Think how it will kill the morale of the teams involved when they keep seeing negative comments about how they are running development. I'm not talking about constructive criticism, pointing out mistakes, or expressing your general negative opinion. I mean attacking what they are doing that doesn't remotely pertain to the topic on hand.

How would you feel if someone always had a negative comment that has nothing to do with what you're currently doing or current accomplishments?

On 10/13/2022 at 7:03 PM, shdwlrd said:

How would you feel if someone always had a negative comment that has nothing to do with what you're currently doing or current accomplishments?

if there really isnt anything constructive in it, i would just ignore it, why would i give an emotional reaction over something like this? xD

and if i notice people just speculating about random things, i will try to clear up the situation as good as i can.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

And no, the Timing Update video doesn't count because there isn't a single word about having problems with developing something.

But nowhere do they say "development is going smoothly and on schedule," doesn't that implicitly say "we're struggling with the core mechanics?"

(/s if that wasn't clear)

11 hours ago, The Aziz said:

You keep asking for source but didn't provide one for "struggling with core mechanics". Funny.

its an assumption based on them not showing us anything, i think its not far off, so prove me wrong

12 hours ago, Ashandalar said:

this video isnt really showing any game mechanics, the only thing we can see is a rocket landing at the start, which we already had in ksp1. so nothing new there. the rest are just shots from their editor, and a coder working with his face dangerously close to the screen which is really bad for your eyes, especially when wearing glasses

On 10/18/2022 at 3:45 AM, Fullmetal Analyst said:

still waiting for a source on that lol

Oh sure, outside of exhaust most engines behave pretty similarly in behavior (consume resources continually, produce thrust constantly, have various efficiencies at different altitudes, etc.) Once you code one engine, you have most of the code that other engines are going to use. So even if you just believe that the show and tell that describes how modules work is all lies, the fact that we've seen engines since when they first announced this should show you that they have the framework to make engines. Planets of course are more involved code wise then engines, however theyre a similar story as well. Once youve coded an atmosphere for one planet, you can easily just use that code again for another planet with an atmosphere, once you code oceans you have the code for other planets to have oceans, and once you have the code that scatters objects, you can apply it elsewhere easily. All of this has been seen on kerbin, and while of course there are likely going to be some planets that require some new changes/additions, and the process still requires more work then changing a few numbers, a lot of the code will be repeated. 

Edited by Strawberry