Threads of the month: October 2022

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
October 2022 Edition

knKEyuC.png?1

October is here! For those of us in North America, summer is now over and autumn is showing it's colors. For those south of the Equator, spring is in the air! 

And as I do in each of these threads, I am asking a favor - if you see an interesting thread - NOMINATE IT! The instructions for nominating a thread are at the bottom of this post.

For those out there who like the nerdy parts of the TOTM:

To continue what I started in May 2021, I began keeping some forum statistics to respond to those claiming the forum was dying. In September, there were 387 new forum accounts (an increase of 46, or up 13.48% from August). Out of the new forum members that joined last month, there were 25 who were active and participating in the forum. This conversion means 6.45% of the new users who registered their accounts are now contributing members of our community! (This increased from last month; 6.15% of the new members became active and contributing members). If you’re interested in seeing the new members of our forum, you can click here!

Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for October:

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Works:

This category features a thread (or threads) that, while not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation related to the game.

There were no threads nominated for this category this month.

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:

This category contains missions and challenges created by you, the members of our gaming community. Many excellent missions and challenges threads are created that expand our fun with the game and press our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck beyond what we get accustomed to. Let’s face it, we all have our go-to design basics and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes, a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals

Nothing can be as frustrating as trying to figure out what to do next! You have an hour (or half a day) to spend playing your favorite game, you have it already running, the craft editor open, and there you sit - with not an idea bouncing between the ears on what to build next! Maybe I'm the only one that has that happen. There are two things that help get me out of the lack of imagination blues - watching really bad science fiction and visiting the member created challenges section of the forum. And in this challenge, submitted by @Scarecrow71, the challenge is introduced in the most humorous way befitting of a Kerbalnaut challenge:

Kerbals, at their core, are loyal and brave and fearless.  Not to mention complete snack-hounds who love nothing more than the promise of Minmus being any variety of mint-flavored ice cream.  They look to the skies every day, dreaming of the day that they can finally prove their second satellite is in fact tasty and ready to be served and eaten at the next Kerbsgiving feast.  Ah, just think about how lovely that's going to taste.  Unfortunately, we have a serious problem.  Kerbals can tend to be lazy and unmotivated, not wishing to actually DO anything other than daydream of the snacks.  Someone else will surely bring them, right?  Someone else will run to the store and pick them up, or fly to Minmus and bring back loads of minty frozen concoctions.  Right?  Won't they?

Well...no, they won't.  If all Kerbals are waiting for someone else to go get snacks and such, then nobody is going to go get them.  We need to find a way to motivate Kerbals to get up off their lazy heinies and do some work around here.  And here at World's Firsts Record-Keeping, we believe we have found a way to properly motivate Kerbals into performing hard labor.  We present to you...

So, if you're looking for a good laugh, a good challenge, and some genuine fun, why not give this challenge a try?

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:

This category features either help with the game (stock or modded) or mods that add quality-of-life gameplay improvements to Kerbal Space Program.

This month, there was one mod which stood above all others nominated for this category. In this mod, by @Gameslinx, Parallax gives Kerbal Space Program the stunning surface features for the planets many of us have desired for years. @Gameslinx introduces this mod:

Parallax completely recreates the surfaces of the planets, from the environment all the way down to the terrain detail. It combines a tessellation and displacement terrain shader as well as a completely new scatter system to vastly improve the planet surfaces. Parallax uses GPU instancing for surface objects in order to render massive amounts of geometry at amazing performance.

If you are looking to add a "wow" factor to KSP and are ready to really lose yourself in hours of gameplay, then this is the mod for you. Please read the OP, as there is a lot of helpful information to guide you through the process of setting up this mod. I know we say this about most visual mods - but this one is a game changer and sets the bar high. It turns Kerbal Space Program into a completely new experience and will provide breathtaking views of Kerbin and the rest of the stock planets. Even on my potato this mod works well!

General community threads of the month:

This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn’t fit the game support/game mod categories.

Last month all eyes were turned skyward as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) conducted the long anticipated Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART). Since the 1960s, this concept has been the  fodder of cheap science fiction. Social media has been buzzing with the speculation about the success of the test. And of course, our forum has been no exception. In this thread, started earlier this year by @Ultimate Steve , there's been a lot of discussion during all stages of the mission, including the most recent phase.

As NASA and other space agencies around the world begin analyzing the data gained from the test, the world will soon know if DART was successful.

Video-based Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Works:

This category features a video or other form of cinematography of a Kerbal mission report using in-game video recorded game play. 

There were no threads nominated for this category this month.

Honorable mentions:

Sometimes it’s a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being selected as the Thread of the Month for our five categories. We get so many good nominations each month to choose from, but we limit it to one for each type. Threads nominated but not selected as a thread of the month become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for this month are:

The honorable mentions for this month may not have made the Thread of The Month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month! We want to thank our forum members, @Rodger,   @zer0Kerbal,  and the members of the moderation team and staff who nominated this month’s contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads and bringing their awareness to our forum community. We’d appreciate your continued help in the future.

The odds and ends:

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month’s thread of the month, then use the “report comment” feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post “Nomination for thread of the month,” and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

And the last word this post: I'd like to thank a few people who continue to trust me enough to continue to support and allow me to contribute to the forum. I'd like to thank the Lead Moderator, @Vanamonde for bringing me on as a moderator, a decision that I'm sure has had moments where he often wonders why he did it. I'd also like to thank @Ghostii_Space, our community manager and @Nerdy_Mike, the KSP Franchise Community Lead, for allowing me to continue to serve our Kerbal Space Program forum community through the monthly Threads of the Month post. :) 

In case you missed last month’s threads of the month, you can click here.

Thank  you for mentioning me again. It is a great feeling to know that people like your work.

Congrats to @Scarecrow71 for yet more challenge goodness.

Congrats to @Gameslinx for a an amazing addition that makes it easy for us to say "Take your time getting KSP2 right, we love what we already have."

Congrats to @BenJee for a great parts mod.

Now can we call this October 2021? I would like another year of time please.