Can we have a Flight Test Dummy please for test launches?

I am trying to make an SSTO in KSP1 (non revert save) and am using a probe core for testing. Lack of Kerbals is throwing off my testing.

Flight Test Dummy Kerbals could be quite useful now that their weight is accounted for in KSP (which I assume is how it will be in KSP2)

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Assuming it wasn't a joke, you're in luck

Wow, I wish I had seen this image sooner. That’s three wishes of mine fulfilled in one picture. One, really nice IVAs with light-up displays/monitors, two, what appears to be a 3 seat 2.5m-ish plane/rover pod, and three, IVA isn’t permanently stuck with all the lights on!

6 hours ago, Anth12 said:

I am trying to make an SSTO in KSP1 (non revert save) and am using a probe core for testing. Lack of Kerbals is throwing off my testing.

Flight Test Dummy Kerbals could be quite useful now that their weight is accounted for in KSP (which I assume is how it will be in KSP2)

Assuming that "throwing off" doesn't mean "my little Kerbal cam is missing", all you need to do is recreate the mass of kerbals with dummy parts. When I'm testing a new rocket, I always throw a random part into the payload bay to figure out payload capacity. There's plenty of parts in KSP, so use them. If it's about a probe core and manned capsule on the same vessel, figure out what parts have similar drag and use one of those instead, then fill in the remaining mass with dummy parts.

I would honestly recommend just always putting probe cores in your vessels anyways, you never know when you need to fly something without a kerbal inside.

Edited by intelliCom

3 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

You could use.... :) 

Can they be added to a pod/cockpit though?

6 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Assuming that "throwing off" doesn't mean "my little Kerbal cam is missing", all you need to do is recreate the mass of kerbals with dummy parts. When I'm testing a new rocket, I always throw a random part into the payload bay to figure out payload capacity. There's plenty of parts in KSP, so use them. If it's about a probe core and manned capsule on the same vessel, figure out what parts have similar drag and use one of those instead, then fill in the remaining mass with dummy parts.

Yeah I added 0.5 tons to the craft that would amount to the weight of the Kerbals, but I really shouldnt have to, in comparison what happens in real life.

2 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Can they be added to a pod/cockpit though?

Yeah I added 0.5 tons to the craft that would amount to the weight of the Kerbals, but I really shouldnt have to, in comparison what happens in real life.

I guess it is a bit cumbersome to spam dozens of ant engines in a 0.625m faring (you know, to remove drag?).

To help make your idea a bit more comprehensive, test dummies could demonstrate how a kerbal might pass out from g-forces, or passing out from high pressure (which could happen if you had an underwater or venusian container).

2 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

To help make your idea a bit more comprehensive, test dummies could demonstrate how a kerbal might pass out from g-forces, or passing out from high pressure (which could happen if you had an underwater or venusian container).

The weight of a human also equals a reduction in overall deltav available. It also equals a different center of mass.

4 hours ago, Anth12 said:

So what you are saying is that they might have experiments built in for the KSP2 version.

You know what'd be cool? An entire set of suitable testing buildings for your vehicles. Think Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts' Test-O-Track.

The game isn't as bad as people think it is, really.

19 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Assuming it wasn't a joke, you're in luck

that is going to be a mean IVA if it is true no way that its gonna be that detailed etc for you to NOT be able to use iva's at any point for full control with detailed screens etc ( should state i know its "Old")

Edited by Stephensan

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Or add the ability to add the appropriate mass for your Kerbals to the crewed parts while in the editor. That way you can balance the CoM and get better DV numbers.

Right there are inventory slots for the pod/cockpit. I will have to see how much weight I can add there. Thanks.

16 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I think if its real a simulation mode to test before you fly would take care of this. 

I remember this post but must have completely missed the simulation part of it.

I am playing a no revert save for the first time in 7000+ hours of KSP. I could use another save for simulation mode but it would make the no revert save too easy.

Just now, Anth12 said:

I remember this post but must have completely missed the simulation part of it.

I am playing a no revert save for the first time in 7000+ hours of KSP. I could use another save for simulation mode but it would make the no revert save too easy.

To be clear it's not exactly obvious how it will work, when you can access it or what you can and can't do with it. I guess we'll see? 

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

To be clear it's not exactly obvious how it will work, when you can access it or what you can and can't do with it. I guess we'll see? 

Hopefully sooner than later. Late February should be the release in my opinion if they don't delay again.

Though if they don't start solidly start promoting KSP2 soon that might be an indicator that there will be another delay

2 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Hopefully sooner than later. Late February should be the release in my opinion if they don't delay again.

Though if they don't start solidly start promoting KSP2 soon that might be an indicator that there will be another delay

Eh, I don't personally expect any real deep-dive information until early next year, possibly weeks before release. We might get a release date and last dev video before the end of december.

7 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Eh, I don't personally expect any real deep-dive information until early next year, possibly weeks before release. We might get a release date and last dev video before the end of december.

If we don't get the next feature video before October ends, I do believe I'll cry

More related, I wonder if we'll get any zero-G indicators in IVA views along with Munikins. That'd be so cute

Edited by whatsEJstandfor

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I could be wrong because its hear say information but from what I have heard T2 games ramp up with their promotions in the last 6 months before release. But, it would only take a few months of promotion to show off KSP2 right?

48 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

I could be wrong because its hear say information but from what I have heard T2 games ramp up with their promotions in the last 6 months before release. But, it would only take a few months of promotion to show off KSP2 right?

I don’t really know! Its not my field and Ive never been particularly fussed about marketing. My business doesn’t advertise. We do good work and we let it stand for itself. Honestly I see most advertising as suspicious. Often the harder you see folks work to sell something the less confident I am that the quality will be there after purchase. If one were to look at Elden Ring for example they put out very little information because they knew they had the goods in the end. But maybe Kerbal is different. Its an acquisition by a ‘big publisher’ hoping to cultivate a sincere fanbase. Whatever folks feel about indie studios Squad did something truly remarkable, and a lot of that was built on real-time community feedback. A lot of that requires actual beta-level interaction which is probably not feasible at this point, but maybe here months prior to release there’s something valuable to be gained, or maybe its best to hash it all out in that post-release blitz of hotfixes. It probably depends on how confident they’re feeling in the bedrock mechanics. We’ll just have to see I guess. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

6 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I don’t really know! Its not my field and Ive never been particularly fussed about marketing. My business doesn’t advertise. We do good work and we let it stand for itself. Honestly I see most advertising as suspicious. Often the harder you see folks work to sell something the less confident I am that the quality will be there after purchase. If one were to look at Elden Ring for example they put out very little information because they knew they had the goods in the end. But maybe Kerbal is different. Its an acquisition by a ‘big publisher’ hoping to cultivate a sincere fanbase. Whatever folks feel about indie studios Squad did something truly remarkable, and a lot of that was built on real-time community feedback. A lot of that requires actual beta-level interaction which is probably not feasible at this point, but maybe here months prior to release there’s something valuable to be gained, or maybe its best to hash it all out in that post-release blitz of hotfixes. It probably depends on how confident they’re feeling in the bedrock mechanics. We’ll just have to see I guess. 

Nate Simpson in the timing update talks about setting a "high bar of quality" and he's the face of KSP2 right now. I dont think we are going to experience a Cyberpunk 2077 in this case.