Final boss star system ideas

I want to here some ideas for the "Eve of star systems"

Personally, I would love Sol as the hardest system to get to and fully explore. Imagine if you could find IRL probes and stuff like the ISS and some orbiting spacecraft. Maybe you can recover parts of the LEM from lunar orbit. Then, once you colonize Sol, you can visit earth and can take over IRL launch sites. You could also get IRL rocket parts for travelling throughout Sol.

Edited by Rutabaga22

Agree with @The Aziz here. It’d just feel off to me if every body in one star system was the hardest of its kind to navigate around/on. 

Now changing perspectives a little, could there be something in the star system that makes it generally hard to navigate? Like multiple asteroid belts maybe? 

5 minutes ago, Ahres said:

Now changing perspectives a little, could there be something in the star system that makes it generally hard to navigate? Like multiple asteroid belts maybe? 

That's probably what you could expect in Debdeb. Not all debris formed into planets or sent into a larger gap between bodies. I think there was a few seconds of development footage suggesting such thing.

Our own asteroid belt is very sparsely populated but that's after billions of years of evolution AND creation of Ceres and Vesta. Same goes with asteroids behind and in front of Jupiter etc etc.

9 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I would like the "hardest" being nicely spread out. You know, highest gravity in this system, thickest atmosphere in that system, tricky approach over there etc. Avoiding linear progression.

Hardest bodies should be spread out, but having solar systems with some major danger, like the suggested asteroids, or a dying star that sheds layers and can really mess up a mission you are flying would be pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Strawberry said:

Also I really hope theres an absurdly large hypergiant star that practically requires interstellar engines until you unlock torchships if you want to travel in between planets. 

It'd be fun to make a 12000 Dv burn only to get to a super resource rich planet.

If they do go with a very large system Id like it if they go the route of each planet is specialized in its own resource, meaning that if you want a good colony you need complex trade between the colonies, itll make it that much more satisfying when you get access to smaller and more efficient ships. 

16 hours ago, Strawberry said:

. Also I really hope theres an absurdly large hypergiant star that practically requires interstellar engines until you unlock torchships if you want to travel in between planets. 

I feel like a red dwarf or white dwarf system would have higher DV requirements, just because everything orbits so close in. With larger stars, everything is usually much farther out, to the point where orbital speeds are slower despite the star being much larger.

You forgot that the planet you're lauching from also has a orbital speed. And a star/remnant with lower gravity means the speeds of planets can be lower. And since the distances are lower, only a small hop is required, instead of looong transit. It all cancels itself out.

UY Scuti has a radius of 8 AU, meaning that all planets that orbit it would have to be at least 8 AU away from the center. Your planets will still generally be faster though due to the higher mass necessitating greater speeds to orbit around the star. 

Edited by Strawberry

On 10/6/2022 at 5:31 PM, Strawberry said:

I'd be shocked if there isnt a very radioactive star.

Define "very" - all stars are radioactive. Supergiants and hypergiants emit a lot more radiation than main sequence stars like our own Sun, but they're still normal(ish) stars. Maybe you mean something like a pulsar, or a quasar (which maybe was a star once upon a time, but is now a supermassive black hole eating a galaxy).

Supergiants emit a lot of radiation, but due to the large surface area and the fact that planets around these systems would be a lot farther from the star then on earth, the radiation isnt really a concern. Neutron stars however, with how close those planets can be they get a lot of radiation. 

Edited by Strawberry

Earth with its size is already a challenge if we take KSP parts performance and weight into account.  I'd suggest making kerbin more earth-like and parts more like their real life counterparts so it would be both automatically balanced and also more versatile, current dry weight to fuel mass for KSP stock tanks is absurdly high, but it is ballanced by outright fantasy like performance for engines and kerbin size.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:32 AM, Strawberry said:

UY Scuti has a radius of 8 AU, meaning that all planets that orbit it would have to be at least 8 AU away from the center. Your planets will still generally be faster though due to the higher mass necessitating greater speeds to orbit around the star. 

Actually they would be incredibly slow due to the stars mass being so low, a larger star doesn't equate too more massive and giants would be a prime example of this having expanded almost to the point of falling apart and blowing half of they're mass into space.

Anyways I don't think there should be a "final boss" star system, it would be jarring to have a system that was somehow totally different then the other systems and would feel forced, also the game doesn't have linear progression so what if someone chooses to fly to the final boss first?

7 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Actually they would be incredibly slow due to the stars mass being so low, a larger star doesn't equate too more massive and giants would be a prime example of this having expanded almost to the point of falling apart and blowing half of they're mass into space.

Anyways I don't think there should be a "final boss" star system, it would be jarring to have a system that was somehow totally different then the other systems and would feel forced, also the game doesn't have linear progression so what if someone chooses to fly to the final boss first?

While it is true that stars loose mass over time, hypergiants/supergiants still have very large masses. UY scuti for example likely has a mass in between 7 to ten times the mass of the sun. 

An advanced civilisation should occupy every neutron star system it can.

Due to various exotic stuff thrown from it and genetrated in its magnetosphere, allowing to use absolutely insane materials, and due to cheap energy which can be produced from its magnetic field.

Giants are useless and can blast.

So, the ultimate aim of the game is a Kerbal hivemind living in an asteroid near a neutron star and orbital facilities making strange things.

On 10/13/2022 at 3:28 PM, Strawberry said:

UY scuti for example likely has a mass in between 7 to ten times the mass of the sun. 

it is also 1,700 times larger, and has a density of 0.000007 kg/m³.  I still wasn't sure if this would mean that the planets would orbit faster, so i decided to go into universe sandbox and find out. i put a planet orbiting in the habitable zone of each star, and this is what i found. around proxima centauri, a blank planet orbited at a speed of 83.4 km/s.Screenshot-236.png

However, around UY Scuti, the same planet only traveled at a speed of 4.12 km/s, only about 5% the speed of the one orbiting the smaller (and less massive) star.

Screenshot-237.png

so the delta v required to launch from 1 planet to another in the supergiant system would be much lower than in the red dwarf system.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:51 AM, Rutabaga22 said:

I want to here some ideas for the "Eve of star systems"

Personally, I would love Sol as the hardest system to get to and fully explore. Imagine if you could find IRL probes and stuff like the ISS and some orbiting spacecraft. Maybe you can recover parts of the LEM from lunar orbit. Then, once you colonize Sol, you can visit earth and can take over IRL launch sites. You could also get IRL rocket parts for travelling throughout Sol.

Why? Sol does not belong in the Kerbal universe.

On 10/6/2022 at 2:49 PM, Ahres said:

Like multiple asteroid belts maybe? 

They don't work like in Star Wars. Asteroids will be thousands of kilometres apart at the least, not including binaries.

5 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I just think it will be fun. Even if sol isn't really kerbal, it would be a cool easter egg.

I think that a whole star system is a pretty big easter egg. Maybe if they do a huge expansion with tons of new systems they could slip in Sol as a (relatively) small thing to discover, but I think at this stage in the game, a whole fleshed-out solar system would be too big to fit in as a joke, and as you said, it won’t properly be “kerbal”