Final boss star system ideas

6 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I just think it will be fun. Even if sol isn't really kerbal, it would be a cool easter egg.

I'm thinking it should be either Sol a few billion years ago, or a few billion  years from now.  Can't decide which would be a better egg.  Either way, zero trace of humans as the kerbals need their elbow room

2 hours ago, determinationmaster said:

it is also 1,700 times larger, and has a density of 0.000007 kg/m³.  I still wasn't sure if this would mean that the planets would orbit faster, so i decided to go into universe sandbox and find out. i put a planet orbiting in the habitable zone of each star, and this is what i found. around proxima centauri, a blank planet orbited at a speed of 83.4 km/s.Screenshot-236.png

However, around UY Scuti, the same planet only traveled at a speed of 4.12 km/s, only about 5% the speed of the one orbiting the smaller (and less massive) star.

Screenshot-237.png

so the delta v required to launch from 1 planet to another in the supergiant system would be much lower than in the red dwarf system.

The habitable zone for UY Scuti is also ~80 AU out while the habitable zone for proxima centauri is way less then one AU, if both planets were at the same distance from the star the UY Scuti planet would be far faster. Not to mention that most of the bodies in a hypergiant system would be relatively close to the star, considering that the planets would've formed when the star wasnt nearly the size it is now.  Also the amount of velocity a planet isn't all that factors into delta v, using standard orbital mechanics would mean the travel time between planets would take ages due to you travelling very long distances, if you want to get to places in a reasonable time youll need to go brachistochrone, which means youre spending more delta v.

Edited by Strawberry

14 hours ago, Strawberry said:

if you want to get to places in a reasonable time youll need to go brachistochrone, which means youre spending more delta v.

good point, only one problem: kerbals don't care if you spend 5000 years in space, they'll do everything just the same, so there's no point in any trajectory except a normal intercept:P

however, if the snacks system required you to get your kerbals somewhere in a reasonable amount of time, then yes, time would matter!

17 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

They don't work like in Star Wars. Asteroids will be thousands of kilometres apart at the least, not including binaries.

this. unless you are travelling at like 50% the speed of light through a GIANT asteroid belt, you'd be lucky to even come across a single asteroid!

1 hour ago, determinationmaster said:

good point, only one problem: kerbals don't care if you spend 5000 years in space, they'll do everything just the same, so there's no point in any trajectory except a normal intercept:P

however, if the snacks system required you to get your kerbals somewhere in a reasonable amount of time, then yes, time would matter!

Considering that we've seen greenhouses and artificial gravity, I think we can count life support in some form as confirmed. 

37 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Considering that we've seen greenhouses and artificial gravity, I think we can count life support in some form as confirmed. 

i'm kind of torn as to how far they should go with life support for ksp 2. on one hand, having a complex life support system would remind ksp 1 players of Umbra Space Industries life support, which i think would be amazing, but on the other hand, unless the life support is gradually introduced (all small ships have enough snacks/oxygen/whatever for a short trip and stuff like that) the entire group of "novice" players will be alienated.

i think it's best if they keep it simple, but not so simple that it feels like an afterthought.

On 10/14/2022 at 3:11 PM, Bej Kerman said:

They don't work like in Star Wars. Asteroids will be thousands of kilometres apart at the least, not including binaries.

Good point. This is something I knew but forgot in the moment trying to throw the OP a bone. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve always imagined an adventure mode themed around the search for life (like much of our own space exploration is), so I’d like to see the final star system feature you actually finding it. Of course, it should be a massive challenge. Perhaps on a stormy moon around a complex brown dwarf system orbiting a red giant, with huge gravity wells, complex orbits, environmental extremes, and dangerous terrain to navigate. And you’ll have to make it a crewed mission. But taking a sample of life on another world and bringing it back to Kerbin seems like a fitting way to roll the credits.

6 minutes ago, TheTennesseeFireman said:

I’ve always imagined an adventure mode themed around the search for life (like much of our own space exploration is), so I’d like to see the final star system feature you actually finding it. Of course, it should be a massive challenge. Perhaps on a stormy moon around a complex brown dwarf system orbiting a red giant, with huge gravity wells, complex orbits, environmental extremes, and dangerous terrain to navigate. And you’ll have to make it a crewed mission. But taking a sample of life on another world and bringing it back to Kerbin seems like a fitting way to roll the credits.

Unspoken Rule 1 of sandbox, no credits. No story.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:
1 hour ago, TheTennesseeFireman said:

Unspoken Rule 1 of sandbox, no credits. No story.

There are some good sandbox games that have challenges (like KSP) and play some sort of end scene after an appropriately hard and late-game challenge has been completed. I wouldn't mind seeing an end card with something similar to "Congratulations! You recovered Jeb's long lost sandwich!" and a photo of that, and then the game returns to normal. Developer credits could play, although they would be accessible from the main menu like in other sandbox games and KSP 1. Overall, 0.05 - 2 minutes of credits after probably 50 hours of gameplay is an acceptable amount of credits for a sandbox game. So, why no credits? You've already made your position clear that just because every industry professional designs their systems a certain way, that doesn't make it good. 

Edited by t_v