enhanced iva view

could you devs possibly add a system that allows us the player to control a kerbal on the inside of a craft

it would work as if the inside of the craft had those seats that you can already use in the base game

you get out and can walk around

while your doing this the game only loads a model and physics for the iva of cockpit or crew module your currently in

of course the exterior will de load textures but keep physics to help with performance

you could possibly place stuff like a console that remotely operates experiments

maybe in order to do eva in space you need a special interior piece

if this isn't already coming maybe something to think about in the future 

9 hours ago, asap1 said:

could you devs possibly add a system that allows us the player to control a kerbal on the inside of a craft

it would work as if the inside of the craft had those seats that you can already use in the base game

you get out and can walk around

while your doing this the game only loads a model and physics for the iva of cockpit or crew module your currently in

of course the exterior will de load textures but keep physics to help with performance

you could possibly place stuff like a console that remotely operates experiments

maybe in order to do eva in space you need a special interior piece

if this isn't already coming maybe something to think about in the future 

No one is really sure at this point, but its true, with colonies and all there’s a lot more interior space coming. Its a trickier problem than it seems on the surface though because it means players would also need to design interior continuity into their vessels. You couldn’t for instance put a 1.25m battery or probe core between two inhabitable spaces because you couldn’t move through them. Its also difficult to do things like radially attached crew tubes at any angle. Its a subtle thing but it greatly reduces your design options. We’ll just have to see if the devs think that’s worth exploring. 

13 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

You couldn’t for instance put a 1.25m battery or probe core between two inhabitable spaces because you couldn’t move through them

I think this would be a pretty easy thing to fix. If you have 2 crew parts separated by a solid part it would just have a crew tube between them in IVA, maybe even have it specialized to a part so that batteries would have a ring of AAs or an ISRU unit would have pipes.

Edited by Rutabaga22

17 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I think this would be a pretty easy thing to fix. If you have 2 crew parts separated by a solid part it would just have a crew tube between them in IVA, maybe even have it specialized to a part so that batteries would have a ring of AAs or an ISRU unit would have pipes.

True! But does it mean other radially affixed crew parts not attached to a hub are inaccessible? This kind of thing is very important for landers and early colony parts that want to keep their COM as low as possible. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I'd love for something like this to be a thing in KSP 2, just don't have hopes for it. Oh, and the thing regarding timewarp: the kerbals should just instantly teleport into their seats whenever a timewarp is in progress. I don't think it would be worth having the kerbals simulate physics in their own space.

Personally I doubt the IVA options will be much more than KSP1s - you can sit in a cockpit and look around and fly with that viewpoint, maybe with interactive controls  or buttons.  

But fully interactive interiors would be a huge undertaking.