AD ASTRA: A Reimagining of Stock and The Outer Planets Mod - "It's Cloudin' Time"

G'th

In that case, have you given any thought to Parallax 2.0 compatibility? I imagine it probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement the existing terrain scatters even if you are changing the worlds around a bit with Kopernicus. I have no idea what's involved with making brand new scatters though.

1 minute ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

In that case, have you given any thought to Parallax 2.0 compatibility? I imagine it probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement the existing terrain scatters even if you are changing the worlds around a bit with Kopernicus. I have no idea what's involved with making brand new scatters though.

Down the line yes.  I'm still learning myself and Parallax is going to be a pretty big leap, so I'm working my way towards it. 

Most likely won't be before this mod releases though.

Minmus

ZEiMkgn.png

fk0pwXK.png

1xmNLIK.png

Ended up scaling it a bit too big, which as a consequence robs it of some of its dramatic heights and lows, but that will be adjusted in time. 

You'll also notice a cloud layer that's pretty visible; thats going to be replaced with a genuine atmosphere and thus scatterer...probably. I don't think anyone's actually ever used scatterer to give a moon a barely existent atmosphere, but it would be a lot better for my purposes to use it over an EVE hack. 

On 10/26/2022 at 1:22 PM, G'th said:

I don't think anyone's actually ever used scatterer to give a moon a barely existent atmosphere, but it would be a lot better for my purposes to use it over an EVE hack. 

Triton in KSRSS has one iirc

2 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

If minmus has an atmosphere could you give Tylo one? In one thread I heard someone say that it is weird a body that massive wouldn't have some atmosphere.

Real talk I thought it had one lmao :sticktongue:

Just now, Rutabaga22 said:

Maybe switch it's environment with laythe if you are making this a planet pack. You could make laythe have a duna-like atmosphere and make tylo the wet one.

Ehh I'm pretty keen on keeping Laythe the classic Laythe. Tylo I plan on bringing closer to Iapetus which was, according to Nova, the general inspiration for it. 

On 10/26/2022 at 1:22 PM, G'th said:

I don't think anyone's actually ever used scatterer to give a moon a barely existent atmosphere, but it would be a lot better for my purposes to use it over an EVE hack.

This is funny because in the latest Spectra update @HafCoJoe and I did this exact thing on Minmus lol

The, I think, 6th iteration of Kerbin. This one I think I'm pretty satisfied with.  It also has lore, which is going to be a thing I think. 

kmuAs2u.png

3toCEq2.png

w4zVvKB.png

q2ApYen.png

Obviously of course there's no scatterer work and the EVE effects are just copy/pasted in from Sol, and the normal still needs some work, but its come together really well today. 

1 hour ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

"Still needs work" he says about the best looking Kerbin I've ever seen.

You'll come to see that I'm what one might call a perfectionist. 

Plus it also doesn't help that as I continue to work on these worlds I get better at it, so my earlier work starts to look worse to me than it did when I originally made it, making me want to re-do it. 

Which I'm about to do for Mun :wacko: lol 

But on that note, here's the initial go at Duna. 

To6sY9Z.png

plx7HhX.png

Fv2z0Pt.png

8vz0cpL.png

3 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I had an idea. If you want to make dres colorful you could have it be growing bismuth on it's surface.

That is an interesting idea. A very interesting idea in fact, and I think I know q good way to do it. 

Nice!

6 hours ago, Beccab said:

That's great! JNSQ and KSRSS are so heavy these days, I really would love to go back to the stock system and not having it crash anymore because of excessive memory consumption

Don't get me wrong, as a baseline the mod is going to be pushed as hard as I can push it. But I'm also big on accessibility, so in general it shouldn't be that much heavier than stock+OPM was, particularly if one chooses to skip or downgrade the other visual aspects like the eventual EVE and Parallax applications. 

6 hours ago, MoeKitsune said:

Will you be moving the orbit of Pol to make it closer to an Io analogue?

Probably yeah Pol and Laythe will swap places.