AD ASTRA: A Reimagining of Stock and The Outer Planets Mod - "It's Cloudin' Time"

G'th

Okeedokee gents, ladies, and germs, this is a milestone post.  All 35 worlds completed in 38 days.  

With these last 3 worlds in-game, we're now ready to move along to the EVE stage of things, which will basically be a mix of adding cool stuff to each world, but also finalizing any worlds (Ie, most of them) that still need or want adjustments to their looks.  We'll be starting at the Sun and radiating outwards, and I edited the OP with the general gameplan for each world. 

But that is all to come after I take, I think, a well deserved break. While I don't feel burned out per-say, I'd rather take the time for caution (heh) and just, do something else. Probably kill zombies and rob people. 

But anyways, here's the last 3 worlds.  Gilly and Bop now occupy the Asteroid belt alongside Dres, and while I don't show them in these pics, the two asteroids are actually (and unintentionally) very similar in shape. I'm inclined to keep them as semi-twins, but we shall see. 

And newcomer Lypso slots in just after Tylo in the Jool system, pushing Laythe out into a more inclined Titan-esque orbit.  Lypso is a Callisto analogue, and does feature the scant atmosphere found there. Both it and Tylo should be a considerable challenge to land on alongside Laythe. I had thought to replace Tylo with it and put Tylo somewhere else, but I ultimately decided against it after realizing that Laythe is really the odd one out here, and not Tylo. Laythe if anything should take the place of Tekto, but thats lame, so I think this solution works best.

Gilly
screenshot27.png

screenshot28.png

Bop
screenshot29.png

screenshot30.png

Lypso

screenshot31.png

screenshot32.png

5 hours ago, MoeKitsune said:

I'm curious as to how large Gilly will be. It looks somewhat similar to Vesta, and I think it could make a good analogue for it

Thats actually what I intended it to be lol.  In a similar orbit and everything. 

51 minutes ago, Kerbal hunter101 said:

Everything just keeps looking better and better, i like the vall redesign, but  with gilly's new asteroid status, does it mean eve wont have any satelite orbiting it?

It does indeed. 

3 hours ago, G'th said:

It does indeed. 

Honestly, I am happy with this decision. It makes Eve into more of a Venus analogue. Are you planning on adding a second moon to Duna?

Also, with regards to Parallax support. Is Eve going to maintain the alien life found in the original configs, or is it going to be more desolate?

35 minutes ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

Honestly, I am happy with this decision. It makes Eve into more of a Venus analogue. Are you planning on adding a second moon to Duna?

Also, with regards to Parallax support. Is Eve going to maintain the alien life found in the original configs, or is it going to be more desolate?

If you look back you'll find that Mic and Ike have long since been in Dunatian orbit ;)

And while I haven't thought on it much so far, I'm inclined towards keeping Eve more Venus than alien. 

2 hours ago, G'th said:

And while I haven't thought on it much so far, I'm inclined towards keeping Eve more Venus than alien. 

If life on Eve is eventually removed, could there be an option to re-add it in an optional patch? 
The pretty scatters are definitely a huge incentive to visit the planet for me(other than the extreme challenge of leaving it).

2 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Have we seen mic yet?

We have indeed. (ingore what Duna looks like)

ZwVmr7q.png

3 minutes ago, Probird_23 said:

If life on Eve is eventually removed, could there be an option to re-add it in an optional patch? 
The pretty scatters are definitely a huge incentive to visit the planet for me(other than the extreme challenge of leaving it).

Possibly. Its also possible I may go a different direction; just depends. 

On 10/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, G'th said:

I learned an awful, awful lot of about Kopernicus today. Special thanks to @OhioBob for his totally badass help. 

This is an initial look at the new Mun, which is now my first successful attempt at a completely bespoke world in KSP. 

screenshot0.png

Absolutely stunning.

Edit: FIRST ATTEMPT!? WHAT!?

Edited by Emilius73

1 hour ago, CytauriKerbal said:

When this mod posts, will it have a choice of texture resolution? Amazing job on all the textures!

It will indeed. The standard will be 16k but there will also be 8k and 4k versions available. 

Update :D

First, here's an update for Moho. A wee bit different but it better illustrates that its close to Kerbol and is getting hella blasted. Up next I'm going to add some subtle effects to show this off as well (Still exaggerated from real life but we can do that :D)  I will note though that the experiments I alluded to regarding planetary rings did not pan out, so we won't have anything particularly neat there, but even so. 

R1bGG0B.png

fbtlzNe.png

dYZU6l2.png

And on the note of Kerbol, here is Kerbol itself from various points from Moho to Duna to Eeloo, updated and at the proper resolution.  I'm inclined to keep it this color for now, but that may change down the line to be a bit more golden yellow than red-orange. It really depends on what it turns out to look like on Kerbin. 

FLLcaOI.png

9YQaGQY.png

VCh5qVP.png