F35 nickname brainstorm

On 10/18/2022 at 4:59 AM, steve9728 said:

Don't know how American pilots call it but I'm sure that the PLAN and PLAAF's pilot will call them 'fatty lightning': this nickname in Chinese was already existing more than a decade hahaha:lol:

So you are saying that the industrial espionage branch of the CCP is a chubby chaser?

Edited by Meecrob

2 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

So you are saying that the industrial espionage branch of the CCP is a chubby chaser?

Ah no offence. This nickname is from folk internet. Not by me or the gov or something else. Man, this nickname has been around for longer than I have been exposed to the internet!

31 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

Ah no offence. This nickname is from folk internet. Not by me or the gov or something else. Man, this nickname has been around for longer than I have been exposed to the internet!

You are a little defensive and it appears you think I took offense to what you said? I'm not American. I'm just watching from the sidelines. You said in China there already is a nickname, I'm just making a joke based on the well known fact that China has a habit of stealing designs...so clearly China likes the fatties!

Edit: CCP has a habit of stealing designs...please understand I am not making a joke about the citizens of China.

Anyways I'd die a happy man if at least the USN named the F-35C the Hippo...since the Super Hornet is named the Rhino...to keep with the "non-svelte" theme.

Edited by Meecrob

29 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

You are a little defensive and it appears you think I took offense to what you said? I'm not American. I'm just watching from the sidelines. You said in China there already is a nickname, I'm just making a joke based on the well known fact that China has a habit of stealing designs...so clearly China likes the fatties!

Anyways I'd die a happy man if at least the USN named the F-35C the Hippo...since the Super Hornet is named the Rhino...to keep with the "non-svelte" theme.

And we call our planes sticks (J-10) and chopsticks (J-11)!

As for plagiarism in design, let's say there's a guy in class who's a good student who writes all his answers on the board, and instead of looking up you go on to 'reinvent the wheel yourself', that's not 'academic integrity', it's stupidity.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of praise"

Spoiler

-Call me Thunderbolt, there's nothing on the ground I can't kill

-OK Hog!

Edited by steve9728

7 hours ago, steve9728 said:

How about some big cat or heroic figure from a Native American tribe?

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

But there are mythological/spiritual figures. Thunderbird, maybe?

Sadly, no. My middle school mascot used to be the Thunderbird but it was changed a couple years ago due to being offensive*.

Presumably the attitude would be similar across the country, with any Native American derived name.

*I would like to note that the image used was a simple Native American motif, nothing truly inflammatory or offensive, and was thus presumably taken down because the tribes were never asked if it was fine to use them, rather than being actually offensive in the same way a certain football team’s mascot was.

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

The Soviets named numerous self-propelled guns and mortars after flowers. Like the 152mm Acacia, 122mm Carnation, 203mm Peony, and 240mm Tulip.

In light of that, perhaps the M142, whose only nickname is just a boring acronym of its official designation, ought to be called "Weedwacker"?

Edited by Codraroll

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

The Soviets named numerous self-propelled guns and mortars after flowers. Like the 152mm Acacia, 122mm Carnation, 203mm Peony, and 240mm Tulip.

Fair enough, I suppose artillery shell explosions tend to “bloom” like flowers. But then I suppose most explosions do. 

But “Petunia “? Isn’t that the name of a cartoon character?  If you really don’t want a weapon taken seriously, call it a Pansy…

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Fair enough, I suppose artillery shell explosions tend to “bloom” like flowers. But then I suppose most explosions do. 

But “Petunia “? Isn’t that the name of a cartoon character?  If you really don’t want a weapon taken seriously, call it a Pansy…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petunia flower

Maybe it could be the F-35 Venus Fly Trap in light of its cooperative engagement capability. AWACS have the sticky parts and the F-35 “closes the mouth” with AMRAAMs.

8 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

82mm automatic 2B9 Cornflower.

6 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

F-35 Venus Fly Trap

Yes, if reverse the fan to suck the flies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.