Custom livery help please.

Hi there. I have been messing around with designing my own custom livery for some parts but I am having difficulties with it showing correctly in the game.

I am saving as DDS DXT5 both using gimp and also using DXTbmp but nether will allow the image to show  correctly in game.

I am somewhat knowledgeable on creating basic liveries for other games and can usually figure stuff out in the end but this has me totally stumped.

This is the image I am trying to get into the game.

correct.png

This is what it looks like in game.

Iwrong.png

It does look somewhat correct but the "test" logo does not snow correctly as part of it is missed out ( i can also see that it is mirrored but that would not be a problem to fix)

I have tried adding it both as a standalone skin within the Rockomax folder (and of course editing the Rockomax16.cfg file) and also just a strait overwrite of the original BW version.

Please can someone point me in the right diction as I am completely stumped. 

Thanks.

On 10/17/2022 at 2:22 AM, quicksilver384 said:

Hi there. I have been messing around with designing my own custom livery for some parts but I am having difficulties with it showing correctly in the game.

I am saving as DDS DXT5 both using gimp and also using DXTbmp but nether will allow the image to show  correctly in game.

I am somewhat knowledgeable on creating basic liveries for other games and can usually figure stuff out in the end but this has me totally stumped.

This is the image I am trying to get into the game.

correct.png

This is what it looks like in game.

Iwrong.png

It does look somewhat correct but the "test" logo does not snow correctly as part of it is missed out ( i can also see that it is mirrored but that would not be a problem to fix)

I have tried adding it both as a standalone skin within the Rockomax folder (and of course editing the Rockomax16.cfg file) and also just a strait overwrite of the original BW version.

Please can someone point me in the right diction as I am completely stumped. 

Thanks.

.dds texture files are flipped vertically compared to all other formats  so you need to go into the .dds and flip it vertically, (not rotate it).

I assume the yellow box like sections were meant to be on the bottom.

I work in the blender enviroment using the .mu plugin and it doesn't flip the pic in uv texturing so I build using a .png so that it is easy to see what is where, then when it is all finished, I flip the pic in paint.net, save it as BC3(Linear DXT5) and remove the .png  The game then uses it without a problem.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:36 AM, quicksilver384 said:

Thanks.

Im still not 100% there yet but somewhat sorted out now. For some reason though an image I have at the bottom  is also getting mirrored at the top of the tank. Any ideas on how to stop that from happening?

Most likely when you originally changed the texture using a .dds that was upside down you have ended off with part of the UV map going off the top edge of the texture pic, instead of just showing nothing the program treats the pic as if it is wrapped around a cylinder, so the UV map going off the top  would act as if was over the bottom of the pic and so you get mirroring.

The easiest way to check this if you are set up for it is to load the model into blender/Bforartists using the .mu plugin and look to see where the UV map is overlayed on the pic.

If you can't do this and so don't know where the original author put things, then your best bet is to study the original texture pic very carefully and try to figure out what parts turn up where on the model and then adjust your pic to be in the right places. You could also set a colour grid texture with different colour boxes, using as many different shades as possible, name it to texture name and load, then you can compare where on the model matches what shade and so get an idea of the UV map layout.

My thread can get you started on using the .mu plugin if you aren't already, all software is free apart from whatever your service provider charges for data.

Good Luck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.