Kerbal Space Program 2 Release into Early Access Feb 24th

Intercept Games

58 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Hi there. Could someone tell me what the minimum PC setup is likely to be to run this, CPU, GPU, RAM etc ?

Thank you.

No one knows for certain yet, but you can make a fair guess, since they are planning on releasing a console version for PS5 and XBOX X/S (after full release on PC) - I would expect the PC equivalent of those console specs to be near the minimum requirements. 

4 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Here I agree,  also the elephant in the room is multiplayer and time warp. I see two ways to solve this the simplest is: time warp is universal, all has to agree on it and set the alarm to end it. 
An much more advanced version will do some sort of catch up system to sync time between players.

Say you collect science on Minmus while he sends an base to Minmus. You do little time warp but need to time warp 8 days forward to match his time. Its then probably common time warp while you land at the base. 

However that should imply that multiplayer with timewarp disabled should be much easier outside of the multiplayer part :) 

People keep raising time warp as if it is the biggest problem with multiplayer, but on a technical side its really not much of one at all. Its a design problem of what you want to allow.

The real problem with multiplayer is physics, latency compensation, and simulation ownership and sync. Things fall apart really quickly when two people go to dock their ships, one player sees a successful dock and the game starts the 'merge' process, but the other player gunned the engines and broke the port in the last 300ms of latency, and now you gotta resolve this mess. Same for moving objects, worse for fast moving objects, exponentially worse for fast moving player controlled objects.

And thats why multiplayer takes a bundle to hash out, and causes so many seemingly unrelated bugs they'd want to avoid.

I make it a policy to never buy anything in early access. Too often the game ends up disappointing or even just never getting to a full release at all. (One game that was suggested to me literally a few years ago is still in early access - and they are asking for votes for game of the year - I'm not quite sure how that makes sense when the game isn't actually released). But I'll make an exception for KSP. Even if it turns out to be a complete bomb, I've gotten enough out of KSP already that the total will still seem like a pretty good deal. And that's even including the fact that I bought KSP 1 on both steam and gog.

Edited by rmaine
fix typo

I am a little concerned that despite talking about multiplayer in the past and how much fun it was, that it has been made the LAST feature on the EA roadmap. If it is really going so great, why is it being pushed back so far as a feature. It seems a bit strange...

29 minutes ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

Speaking as an indie dev - While I can't literally show you, multiplayer is one of those critical foundational things, and likely why the whole thing took so long to get to just this state. To put it simply, if multiplayer foundations were not already implemented, then they would never be implemented. Its not the sort of thing you can just hammer down in at the end of development. Either its in there, or they're blatantly lying to our face through their teeth.

As for why its not on day one, multiplayer is also one of those things that tends to generate its own wealth of novel bugs that tend to look like something else is broken. Keeping it out of our hands while the major features come into play helps ensure the bugs they're fixing are actually for the major features.

And as a person that helped with the first ksp 1 multiplayer mod i can tell you that NO the foundations DONT have to be in the game it relied mainly on a bugged single player positioning system and the modding UI. “Hacks” if you will. Ill put a dollar on it that the modders will have to save the day again

18 minutes ago, darsie said:

Can you please say Windows when you mean Windows? I  have a PC running Linux and saying "The game will be available on PC only during Early Access," is confusing

To be fair, "PC" has commonly meant "computer running Windows" since, like, 1996. I never liked it either, even back then (what, is a Macintosh not a computer that's personal?) but, 2 decades later, I've given up on it.

If we want to discuss Mutiplayer in regards to the release date, feel free, but any other discussion needs to head over to this stupendously  long thread on the details of MP.   We don’t want to clutter up this thread with the same discussion. 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187358-ksp-2-multiplayer-discussion-thread/

18 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I mean I think if thats not something you feel like you can trust then probably just wait till it gets incorporated? Im personally most excited for colonies and resources which also wont be complete for a while, but having the chance to play and give feedback on all that as its being developed is completely my jam. 

Yeah thats fair enough i get it. But for me it’s multiplayer and after squad burned us with ksp 1 multiplayer ill believe it when i see it. The fact that its not part of the base game early release or not has me HIGHLY suspicious. Im betting the modders will have to do it for them. Maybe thats the plan who knows

Edited by Redneck

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Hi there. Could someone tell me what the minimum PC setup is likely to be to run this, CPU, GPU, RAM etc ?

Thank you.

Someone beat me to the punch. As i'm buying new gear soon. It would be nice if we can get an idea

13 minutes ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

People keep raising time warp as if it is the biggest problem with multiplayer, but on a technical side its really not much of one at all. Its a design problem of what you want to allow.

The real problem with multiplayer is physics, latency compensation, and simulation ownership and sync. Things fall apart really quickly when two people go to dock their ships, one player sees a successful dock and the game starts the 'merge' process, but the other player gunned the engines and broke the port in the last 300ms of latency, and now you gotta resolve this mess. Same for moving objects, worse for fast moving objects, exponentially worse for fast moving player controlled objects.

And thats why multiplayer takes a bundle to hash out, and causes so many seemingly unrelated bugs they'd want to avoid.

That is an excellent point, now add large explosions with lots of part flying 

9 minutes ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

The real problem with multiplayer is physics [...]

I get your point and I must admit that it's an aspect few consider (I didn't). However, in the end this is a game that allows you to do rocket science with (a reasonable approximation of) real world physics, so most of will take the coding aspect for granted. We're kinda used to miracles!

"What you want to allow" — and I'm sure it's not intended as such — might suggest to the casual observer that it's intended to trivialize the problem. But it's still a big challenge. There are probably a dozen ways time warp can integrate with multiplayer, diametrically opposed to each other. The problem is not can they but how and then specifically and not the way those troglodytes on the forum want it, but the way I want it. That's what everyone is curious about.

Good point on the criticality of timing issues in MP though.

15 minutes ago, Rocketology said:

No one knows for certain yet, but you can make a fair guess, since they are planning on releasing a console version for PS5 and XBOX X/S (after full release on PC) - I would expect the PC equivalent of those console specs to be near the minimum requirements. 

I'd never compare console all-in-one integrated hardware to anything you can put in a pc. A 2013 PS4 could handle a 2017 game, a pretty one, without breaking a sweat, while my 2016 mid range (with a big GPU upgrade) PC struggled with a 2020 port of the same game.

12 minutes ago, Deadmeat24 said:

I am a little concerned that despite talking about multiplayer in the past and how much fun it was, that it has been made the LAST feature on the EA roadmap. If it is really going so great, why is it being pushed back so far as a feature. It seems a bit strange...

Speaking of which.. is that roadmap actually set up chronologically? I know it says Debdeb system there, and unknown system in the other stage, but colonies(stage 3) without resource extraction/management (stage 5) sound kinda weird.

14 minutes ago, Redneck said:

And as a person that helped with the first ksp 1 multiplayer mod i can tell you that NO the foundations DONT have to be in the game it relied mainly on a bugged single player positioning system and the modding UI. “Hacks” if you will. Ill put a dollar on it that the modders will have to save the day again

Someone linked me a video on it recently. Buggy, laggy mess. More like Kraken summoning, rather than working multiplayer. Whatever hacks there were, they worked only just. Those foundations better be there if the experience is to be smooth.

Just now, The Aziz said:

I'd never compare console all-in-one integrated hardware to anything you can put in a pc. A 2013 PS4 could handle a 2017 game, a pretty one, without breaking a sweat, while my 2016 mid range (with a big GPU upgrade) PC struggled with a 2020 port of the same game.

Speaking of which.. is that roadmap actually set up chronologically? I know it says Debdeb system there, and unknown system in the other stage, but colonies(stage 3) without resource extraction/management (stage 5) sound kinda weird.

Someone linked me a video on it recently. Buggy, laggy mess. More like Kraken summoning, rather than working multiplayer. Whatever hacks there were, they worked only just. Those foundations better be there if the experience is to be smooth.

I guess we shall see. Perhaps raytracing could be a solution for positioning if need be but lower end video cards not happening. They wont know until they get hands on game and start tearing it apart

1 hour ago, FleetAdmiralJ said:

I mean, this is true, but if I play this as much as I played the first game, it is still going to be pennies or fractions of a penny on the hour, so I'm not going to complain too much as long as it is good and engaging

i'm not talking about the doller/game hour here that is out of the question for the real fans or players who like this genre is clear to me.

I'm more concerned with the "barrier to entry" AND a small amount of accommodation for the trust/test advance in/to the playerbase.

So, seeing the trailer, I have some mixed feelings. I will chronicle them by excitement level, starting from the top:

We finally have a release date. And, seeing as it's going into Early Access, instead of full launch, it's likely that is the final date (knock on wood, though). That's something to be excited for, as someone who has waited since the announcement. Also, the game is looking really good, in my opinion. I think that the visuals are phenomenal, including all of the atmospheric effects, terrain detail, and material shading for parts. Definitely a step up from KSP 1 (without mods, of course). The base gameplay seems to be solid, and I'm looking forward to a (hopefully) more performant, smoother experience in KSP 2.

However, this is where my excitement wanes. For instance, I'm not sure if it was because the game was running in a smaller window size during the gameplay captures or not, but the UI seems pretty cluttered. I'd post an image, but I can't seem to figure it out right now, but if you go to 9:53 in the video and pause, the UI takes up a pretty massive amount of space. Again, not sure it's something having to do with aspect ratio or not. Either way, I hope there is some scalability for the UI, and that this isn't finalized. I will say, I do like the style of the UI for the most part, so kudos. 

My biggest issue, though, lies with the intense change in direction that has left me somewhat whiplashed. I'll start by saying I have nothing but respect for the KSP2 devs, and it's clear that they have put a huge amount of effort in to making this game, and it looks like it's paying off. However, I can't help but be disappointed with all of the promised content now being pushed back for future updates. Now, before anyone says anything, I recognize that a delayed game/feature is a more complete game/feature, and I believe it. I'm sure it was a difficult decision to make for the devs, and I respect and understand the decision to further develop these new ideas. I can't say I'm really happy about it, though. For instance, the last KSP 2 Episode released was about interstellar travel, and now it will not be in the game until the planned third update. The science system won't even be in the game until the first update. All in all, the change to early access is, to me, a bit disappointing. The part that really stung the most, though, was the heavily delayed multiplayer aspect. I want to reiterate that it's a good decision to delay it for polishing. However, one of the things I looked forward to most was playing KSP 2 with a friend when it came out. No longer. This left me very disappointed.

However, I won't end this post on a sour note. I still can't wait for the game to come out. There are a plethora of improvements from KSP 1 that can be easily seen, and I'm truly looking forward to buying it on day one, as much as some of this new information has surprised me. All of what they have been talking about is still coming, though not when I had expected. I hope they are true to their word when they say how important community feedback will be, because if they are, this will surely be an amazing game.

1 hour ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

Back in 2019-2020 during a @ShadowZone (I think it was?) with Nate Simpson, he mentioned something along the lines of "We've been trying multiplayer internally and I've never seen anyone laugh so loudly".

ShadowZone might be able to correct that quote word by word, but all in all goes to say that their internal builds already have most of those features already implemented, just not in a release-ready state.

Yo are just acting like they are scamming people by promising things that will never come, when it's a fact that they are not.
This is not Star Citizen, or any of the trillions of Early Access survival games that scammed people by paying youtubers like FrankieOnPc back in the day.

Matt Lowne already said in his video that during his talk with Nate, he mentioned Early Access won't be pre-Alpha, or Alpha, or Beta, so we can take from that that they are literally using the Early Access program as it was meant to-- A pre-release access for the community to shape the bigger features of the game by providing feedback. There is a huge dev team in KSP2 compared to what Squad was during most of KSP1's life, so it's likely that their workflow and update schedule will be much smoother and faster than what we got used to back in the day.

But in short, yes, multiplayer being on the works internally for a very long time is a known fact. 

Yes that's pretty much what was said. Original quote at 8:43 here: https://youtu.be/Jw42iC-mlZM?t=523

And I agree with you on the faster workflow. Even KSP1 was able to get major releases out of the door every 6 months (roughly) from about 1.8 until 1.12 (not counting bugfix releases). So that was already pretty predictable and I'm pretty sure the KSP2 team already has some kind of major release cadence already planned. The main thing that's missing is what's really going to be in those releases, but that will also be up to us by supporting the developers in fine tuning the experience and prioritizing what really matters. Also something I highlighted in the video I released today.

I also had a chance to chat with Nate about the Early Access and what will be in it. Those infos are going into a video I'll release on Sunday. Had a bit of a hell week and barely was able to get my early access announce video out. I recorded my talking head until 2:20am ... But I'm highly motivated to get more details out by Sunday :D

9 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

Yes that's pretty much what was said. Original quote at 8:43 here: https://youtu.be/Jw42iC-mlZM?t=523

And I agree with you on the faster workflow. Even KSP1 was able to get major releases out of the door every 6 months (roughly) from about 1.8 until 1.12 (not counting bugfix releases). So that was already pretty predictable and I'm pretty sure the KSP2 team already has some kind of major release cadence already planned. The main thing that's missing is what's really going to be in those releases, but that will also be up to us by supporting the developers in fine tuning the experience and prioritizing what really matters. Also something I highlighted in the video I released today.

I also had a chance to chat with Nate about the Early Access and what will be in it. Those infos are going into a video I'll release on Sunday. Had a bit of a hell week and barely was able to get my early access announce video out. I recorded my talking head until 2:20am ... But I'm highly motivated to get more details out by Sunday :D

Looking forward to those :)

48 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

This had me scratching my head as well. Like we'll be able to engage with colony parts in an aesthetic way but it'll be hard to gauge how well the progression mechanics or game flow are integrating with that if we don't know what the parts cost or what they're for?

Matt Lowne talked about this in his first thoughts video, but I think walkable interiors should really be on the developers list. Not just a free cam no clip, but something that actually gives you the sensation of moving about your own colony. Imagine looking out one of the windows of your Laythe base and seeing the waves washing ashore with Jool high in the sky with its rings. Could be crazy