Kerbal Space Program 2 Release into Early Access Feb 24th

Intercept Games

Linux support only at 1.0? Shame, I guess I'll just, uh, run the Windows binaries through Proton, as usual ;D

2 minutes ago, shimmy00 said:

Hmmm ...

when they say this is to be "released to PC first", does that include Linux on PC, or is it only Microsoft that they're supporting?

Only support for Windows, but just because they don't *support* it, doesn't mean you can't make it work. Proton is exceptionally reliable lately, much better than Wine was when I first tried LInux in 2013 or so.

5 minutes ago, SingABrightSong said:

Linux support only at 1.0? Shame, I guess I'll just, uh, run the Windows binaries through Proton, as usual ;D

Only support for Windows, but just because they don't *support* it, doesn't mean you can't make it work. Proton is exceptionally reliable lately, much better than Wine was when I first tried LInux in 2013 or so.

Thanks.

Okay, never heard of that before, but if it works with that, that'll be great!

2 minutes ago, mcpattyp said:

Matt Lowne talked about this in his first thoughts video, but I think walkable interiors should really be on the developers list. Not just a free cam no clip, but something that actually gives you the sensation of moving about your own colony. Imagine looking out one of the windows of your Laythe base and seeing the waves washing ashore with Jool high in the sky with its rings. Could be crazy

I've heard folks ask for this (even I wanted it when I first started playing) but Im not sure actually how fun that is? Like how much work does that take to integrate and whats the actual, in-engine, gameplay pay off? Is it just visual? Out of all the gameplay you could get out of robotics or submarine parts or richer planetary surfaces how much actual time will players crawl around inside their ships? It also doesn't come without some restrictions on vessel design. Like if you radially attach crew tube parts into a Hitchhiker can you then access those? Or do you need hubs and sanctioned crew-passable node-attachment? 

I won't bother saying what's already been said, but I guess I can start giving some feedback and bring up the UI. I quite liked the style of the UI shown in the PCGamer article and now what I'm seeing feels like quite a step back. It's definitely practical and useful, but it looks... placeholder-ish compared to the best (IMO) of what we've seen in the past.

4 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I've heard folks ask for this (even I wanted it when I first started playing) but Im not sure actually how fun that is? Like how much work does that take to integrate and whats the actual, in-engine, gameplay pay off? Is it just visual? Out of all the gameplay you could get out of robotics or submarine parts or richer planetary surfaces how much actual time will players crawl around inside their ships? It also doesn't come without some restrictions on vessel design. Like if you radially attach crew tube parts into a Hitchhiker can you then access those? Or do you need hubs and sanctioned crew-passable node-attachment? 

Agreed. The role-playing aspect of it would be entertaining for me for all of ten seconds. That seems like a pretty major game mechanic to add in for how little gameplay it actually adds.

Oh and another thing I just want to say how awesome it is to see the Squad folks part of the team. You all made literally the best game I've ever played in my life and solved so many unique and crazy problems, stayed so involved with us over the years adapting and making new content. Genuine tears that this next phase is coming to life and you're all part of it. 

3 hours ago, poopslayer78 said:

Linux user here... yay!

Me too!

One thing to say:
Given what I've read on the forums the last few month, about half the KSP community uses either Mac or Linux. If the early access is for Windows only, then half of the KSP community (or so) won't be able to get access to early access, which is quite sad... And why only Windows?

3 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Me too!

One thing to say:
Given what I've read on the forums the last few month, about half the KSP community uses either Mac or Linux. If the early access is for Windows only, then half of the KSP community (or so) won't be able to get access to early access, which is quite sad... And why only Windows?

And what about the great and detailed bug reports we Linux users write? Just take this post as inspiration: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/qeqn3b/despite_having_just_58_sales_over_38_of_bug/

Not having a Linux version in Early Access means we can't write them!

2 minutes ago, Mat2ch said:

And what about the great and detailed bug reports we Linux users write? Just take this post as inspiration: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/qeqn3b/despite_having_just_58_sales_over_38_of_bug/

Not having a Linux version in Early Access means we can't write them!

I totally agree! They've suddenly lost half their bug reports :/

But it's in 4 months, we can knock wood, maybe there'll be a Linux early access...

Disappointed about what at the end of the day is just another delay for the full game.

But I would be dumb for me not to give the EA a chance, even without all the content they promised it looks like quite an upgrade over KSP1, and given how much I still play it make sense to upgrade.

I don't like the EA and I'm not going to treat it like one, as soon as I download it my question for my personal refund window review will be: "is this a 50$ upgrade of KSP1 sandbox?"

If not then it's going to be a refund and a wait for the next mayor update.

Game Developer: We've been delaying the game for as long as we could, much of what was promised in the trailer is completely unfinished, so here's a $50 remaster of the previous game with bugs and a roadmap.

Fans of other games: are you crazy? Reviewbombing! 1 out of 10!

KSP fans: oh my god, this is the happiest day of my life! The best game in the universe, it has textures and shaders! 20 out of 10!

By the way, what are the system requirements for the game? What fps will a rocket with 200 parts have?

6 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

plan complex maneuvers with ease using the new non-impulsive maneuver planner.

I might have missed something, but can somebody please explain to me what "non-impulsive maneuver planner" means? For me, "impulsive" is usually a character trait, but I guess that's not it...

Edited by ShadowZone

5 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

I might have missed something, but can somebody please explain to me what "non-impulsive maneuver planner" means? For me, "impulsive" is usually a character trait, but I guess that's not it...

I would guess that the maneuver planner will no longer assume a maneuver takes place instantaneously, for long smeared out burns.

1 hour ago, Ahres said:

I guess I can start giving some feedback and bring up the UI. I quite liked the style of the UI shown in the PCGamer article and now what I'm seeing feels like quite a step back. It's definitely practical and useful, but it looks... placeholder-ish compared to the best (IMO) of what we've seen in the past.

I have to agree here. I still very much prefer these:

Spoiler

3UmQxrfTsm9zLVXD9YJ3GQ.jpg

(though without the LCD font)

7D5Mbp1.png

Over that:

Spoiler

KHAdSIF.png

WZRbZcf.png

I get the idea behind it, but the pixely font and icons just don't work for a civilization that is about to hit interstellar space. Instead, we landed in the late 90's. Also I can barely read what's on the navball.

Because, modern spaceworthy vehicles can have modern interface.

Spoiler

1*a67qiB8yTSSJH2JhvIXnYw.png

Being completely honest, I think the second picture I posted, with Kerbal on EVA, has the best UI of them all.

6 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe when it comes to maneuvers, "impulsive" means that over a long period of time, the maneuver can be considered an "impulse" because it takes a short amount of time to impart velocity on the vehicle. A non-impulsive burn would be a Brachistochrone  trajectory, because it's not a short blip of impulse but potentially a years-long burn.

14 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

I might have missed something, but con somebody please explain to me what "non-impulsive maneuver planner" means? For me, "impulsive" is a character trait, but I guess that's not what it means...

Edit: As others mention^ I think they mean impulse in the physics sense of "product of average force and the time it is applied", the way when you plan a maneuver it boils the total force down as if it was all applied at the maneuver itself. Someone might be able to better explain this but I feel like even when I execute a maneuver perfectly my resulting trajectory is off especially on very long burns, I suspect because the node planner over-simplifies oberth. When Im looking at the new maneuver planner it doesn't give the time to the center of the node, but the time until the beginning of the burn and the end of the burn, which is much more intuitive and hopefully more accurate. 

Where's @Snark at? His mod is brilliant and Im sure he knows. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I look forward to playing the new game, it looks amazing! I also look forward to  seeing what the new art standards are for the awesome looking parts in the game, and learning what steps are needed to mod the game. I have a few ideas from KSP 1 that I'd like to bring over, even if it means starting from scratch.

Thanks for the announcement trailer, it looks great!

3 minutes ago, wpetula said:

WIll players who purchase the Early Access version of the game have to pay for each additional update to the game and/or for the full release? 

No, absolutely not. All content listed in the roadmap will be included in the $49.99 Early Access price. 

The fact that resource gathering will need to come in a different update from colonies actually makes me really excited because it implies that resource gathering will have significant mechanical and gameplay differences/additions from the colony system (Im guessing that the update will also come with more focus on interstellar trade?). I wonder if there will be stopgap changes for when some of the design of the stuff in the EA build doesn't have features that they were designed around (for an example would colonies not having resource collecting mean that all the stuff would basically be in sandbox mode?)

Ok so this is a crazy theory of mine but I just can't get this out of my head;

Spoiler

Does Dres have a MOON?!?!

I know it was said that there would be no changes to the Kerbol System but plans do change and if it does exist it's probably an asteroid moon of some kind so not a major change, and they've already added rings to Dres, I guess the rings already existed in KSP 1 but it was a distant asteroid field you had to find as opposed to a full-on ring system you could crash into.

NuoYByS.png

Now you can't see the moon with Dres in any footage but in the video there is some interesting footage which could allude to this new moon being in the game, I'm gonna codename it "Tal" for simplicities sake.

First of all there is an interesting bit of footage from the surface of some kind of brownish smaller object, this could be explained away as just a new interstellar object like Skutt (more on it later by the way) but the video doesn't at any point show something outside of the Kerbolar System from what I remember, so this is probably in the base system.

This could also be Gilly or Bop but judging by the speed that lander took off from it's surface it's probably smaller than even Gilly, also worth mentioning is that the features of this object are unlike anything we've seen in the first game or footage of Bop or Gilly, there's clearly a massive crater just next to the lander and it takes up quite a bit of the object.

X4uQfBs.png

hvAOuym.png

Ok so it's probably not Bop or Gilly unless one of them got hit by the other, so what could it be? the answer is a totally new celestial object and probably in the Kerbolar System as well.

But where will "Tal" fit into the game, what about the most bland and boring place in the original game? Dres of course, it's already being spruced up with a ring system and new terrain, how about put a cherry on top by adding a small moon? but why am I going with Dres for this theory? because of this image right here;

Iq5gEIy.png

The outer orbit is more than a little suspect for a celestial object, it could be mistaken for the orbit of a spacecraft but why would a craft be parked in an orbit like that? I do recognize that the debris craft were seeing on the screen does seem to have an inclination that's the same as the mystery objects orbit but it could be the craft had been trying to reach Tal and then was destroyed.

I'm gonna go a step farther with this too since I'm feeling bold today, Tal is actually Skutt;

6GeXh9U.pngThe crater does look like the one seen in the new video, and it has the right color, shape, and terrain, it's also quite small like Tal which is why it rotates so fast, this object could very well be Skutt regardless of if it's in the Kerbolar System.

Anyways that's my theory, a moon for a now ringed Dres would really add to the main parent and adding a fast rotating rubble pile would make it stand out on it's own as opposed to Bop or Gilly.

I should probably have done this in a forum post in retrospect so Il just copy paste I guess.

Edited by Minmus Taster

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

I have to agree here. I still very much prefer these:

Hide contents

3UmQxrfTsm9zLVXD9YJ3GQ.jpg

(though without the LCD font)

7D5Mbp1.png

Over that:

Hide contents

KHAdSIF.png

WZRbZcf.png

I get the idea behind it, but the pixely font and icons just don't work for a civilization that is about to hit interstellar space. Instead, we landed in the late 90's. Also I can barely read what's on the navball.

Because, modern spaceworthy vehicles can have modern interface.

Hide contents

1*a67qiB8yTSSJH2JhvIXnYw.png

Being completely honest, I think the second picture I posted, with Kerbal on EVA, has the best UI of them all.

I’m also having a similar problem with readability. In terms of the UI elements and their positioning, I actually really like it because the nav ball contains the most pertinent navigation information (altitude, speed, direction) in close proximity but in distinct locations (want heading? Look up). I think that the choice of ticker tape is reasonable because it gives a good indicator of rate of change, and even modern aircraft HUDs use it because it works. However, the font and the way the lines are put together is visually cluttered, more than any of the other UIs in your post. Even if you compressed the SpaceX interface so it didn’t take up a whole screen, the visual simplicity makes it easier to read. I think that the amount of lines and markers on the navball makes it hard to really distinguish specific pitch angles, and the text on the rest of the UI fades into the information surrounding it. Making them even more distinct and isolated would go a long way towards being able to get information at a glance. This is purely subjective, so feel free to disagree, and who knows, maybe you will be able to mod UI themes into the game for anyone’s preference. 

Edited by t_v