Kerbal Space Program 2 Release into Early Access Feb 24th

Intercept Games

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I know this cuts both ways but I think we might all have some appreciation at this moment for all the ingenuity and perseverance the Squad team showed making KSP1 what it is. 

Very well said!There were many moments where being critical about the hardships of KSP 1 development was edging the too much area.

You expressed it in a way that resonates so much with me!

Well, I must admit I'm a bit shocked. I did not expect this.

Let's have a look at the road map: only the Kerbolar System is released. No interstellar, no multiplayer, no colonies. Also no career mode or science mode. In other words, it's plain v0.21 KSP1, but improved.

I read the situation like this:

1. We need to know if you like the game. How does it feel? UI, collision, wheels, flames/explosions, etc. It would take too much time (and money) to hire people for a QA team knowing they are not experts on the matter nor ksp fans. Somehow the game has to be new and different, but not too new so you would lose the KSP feeling KSP1 left on us.

2. Not releasing the missing features on day 1 might mean they are not ready. Why would they do it otherwise? They community might not take too well another delay. That's a way to buy some more time and start getting revenue. Let's keep in mind this game was set to release in 2020. It's almost 3 years of delays. Take-two wants that investment back. That's why the 50$ early access price.

All in all, I'm fine with that. I understand (I think) why they are doing this. To me, it's another delay. I'm not a beta tester, I won't play this game in early access. I'll buy the game on day 1 though, just to support the development, and I'll wait until its release to play it.

How long can we expect early access to last? 6 months? 1 year?

57 minutes ago, Sidneyia said:

It would take too much time (and money) to hire people for a QA team knowing they are not experts on the matter nor ksp fans

I was always saying that no QA team can do the work of thousands of players. Especially in sandboxy titles like KSP. QA people have to be as creative as most creative players, but a bunch of people can only do so much.

15 hours ago, TLTay said:

I'm betting it's almost certainly this.

Why work on really challenging and exhausting physics problems when you can go work on some copy/paste survival or shooter game.

Because copy/paste stuff is REALLY  DULL, to do for very long.  Great as a change of pace for a short while after a big challenge to 'reset', but if you enjoy the problem solving aspect, then it will drive you to boredom.

1 hour ago, Sidneyia said:

Let's have a look at the road map: only the Kerbolar System is released. No interstellar, no multiplayer, no colonies. Also no career mode or science mode. In other words, it's plain v0.21 KSP1, but improved.

1. We need to know if you like the game. How does it feel? UI, collision, wheels, flames/explosions, etc. It would take too much time (and money) to hire people for a QA team knowing they are not experts on the matter nor ksp fans. Somehow the game has to be new and different, but not too new so you would lose the KSP feeling KSP1 left on us.

2. Not releasing the missing features on day 1 might mean they are not ready. Why would they do it otherwise? They community might not take too well another delay. That's a way to buy some more time and start getting revenue. Let's keep in mind this game was set to release in 2020. It's almost 3 years of delays. Take-two wants that investment back. That's why the 50$ early access price.

All in all, I'm fine with that. I understand (I think) why they are doing this. To me, it's another delay. I'm not a beta tester, I won't play this game in early access. I'll buy the game on day 1 though, just to support the development, and I'll wait until its release to play it.

permeant early access, its a beta, regardless of what they call it.. you buy the game you keep the game.

Grammerly removed: I can expect only it take a few years if they are not giving time frames.

Edited by Stephensan

1 hour ago, Sidneyia said:

its way better to say current KSP 1, but only in sandbox.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:21 PM, magnemoe said:

Is I the only one wanting to see that the hidden feature right of multiplayer is? Its intentional blurred. 

KSP2_Steam_About_ROADMAP_EN.thumb.png.bf

With muliplayer the game will be feature complete as I see it. Except its just two interstellar locations but don't see any reason to hide that. 
Star systems are also  pretty different from multiplayer in that its created by artists but multiplayer is coding. 

Maybe further star systems will be released in the complete version?

As others have said, Early Access is not for everyone, and no one is forced to do Early Access. You can still opt to wait for the full game to be released later.

Some of us enjoy Early Access style of launch, others do not and that is ok.

Personally I will be really enjoying a part of KSP 2 Early Access that I never did in KSP1, a sandbox game. I could, I just never did ( always played career which may not be available in KSP2  ).  

6 hours ago, Turtlegirl1209 said:

Hello! Could we please get any estimation of how long we would have to wait between major updates, once the early access is out? Would it be 2 months? 10 weeks? 3 months?

Hopefully the answer is that there is not a set schedule and the answer is when it is fully ready.

Edited by DwightLee

7 hours ago, Turtlegirl1209 said:

Hello! Could we please get any estimation of how long we would have to wait between major updates, once the early access is out? Would it be 2 months? 10 weeks? 3 months?

They'll never tell you that because it's one of the dumbest things you can do in software development. Even giving a ballpark figure delivers an expectation that must be met, regardless of whether the update is ready.

I can't wait to play KSP 2 this is going to be a lot fun to play when early access comes out I really hope when does that I can give some really good feedback to all of you developing it  :D

(P.s Take your time making a game is not easy)  

kerbal-space.gif 

Edited by EmeraldTrashCan

1 hour ago, regex said:

They'll never tell you that because it's one of the dumbest things you can do in software development. Even giving a ballpark figure delivers an expectation that must be met, regardless of whether the update is ready.

Exactly right, if one thing is proven over so many decades of game development, is that the fans cannot handle any date that is not cast in stone. Better to say nothing at all until it is cast in stone.

10 hours ago, Sidneyia said:

My read it as: guys this is not gone be ready before summer 23, and it can easy be even more delays, have fun telling leadership this. 
How to spin it, one idea Early Access, KSP 1 was early access after all. 

This way we get income Q1 as you mention in 2.  
Also the 1 part they get lots of feedback from players and people are more tolerant to bug in an early access game. 

I will buy at day one unless the KSP streamers who will get preview copies say its bad or very buggy. 
Will probably not play it that much until its more finished but will mostly mess around. 

5 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Maybe further star systems will be released in the complete version?

One statement from the dev was more star systems in the finished game. 
But that would not be any reason to hide it, simply add it after multiplayer and all would be happy. Also star systems are created by artists while multiplayer is pretty much all coding. 

That the card is blurred out probably is because they want to surprise us or some feature they don't know if work or take to long. 

The part is blurred because everything that was originally planned for the game is already marked to be added during EA. Whatever is beyond that is probably still unknown even for the devs, or at least they're not sure if something should come or not.

36 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

The part is blurred because everything that was originally planned for the game is already marked to be added during EA. Whatever is beyond that is probably still unknown even for the devs, or at least they're not sure if something should come or not.

I'd assume there would be at least one more system down the line, two is awesome but it feels like the full potential of expanding the universe of the game could be higher.

You guys got no shame, you've been announcing all those features since 2019 and none of those will be coming anytime soon, we dont even have science and tech trees so you're telling me this Game Will have less content than ksp1 and you guys selling It for 50 bucks, bruh, corporations have no shame nowadays, release your Game unfinished and dont regret It because the community already accepts this behaviour.

People told you to take your time and release a good Game and now people defend this, its crazy how have we forgot cyberpunk or no man's Sky, not to say that your Game Will be bad but It seems that releasing unfinished products is the way It goes now. 0 shame for this, you guys killed the hype for me

Ill be getting it

Ill be reviewing it

Ill be playing it

Sure it early access. But i think Intercept can pull it off. But look at KSP 1. Its graphics are not the greatest lets be honest. And then look at linuxgurugamer. He made us Parallax. The 2.0. Many, many planet mods. If people feel like they want earlier, then people are going to mod it. People can save the game though mods people. It wont be easy, but it might be worth it.