Kerbal Space Program 2 Release into Early Access Feb 24th

Intercept Games

I bet KSP2 early access will have way less bugs but $50 is for early access anyway.

A real comparison of KSP1 to KSP2 probably wont be right until KSP2 hits 1.0 which has a price tag of $60. Though that might change who knows

I am not sure if KSP2 will even have drills and ISRUs to start with based on what the roadmap talks about.

Your isrus will look like that

loIQmpO.png

Also, a lot of bugs you mentioned are very feature-specific. We don't know if KSP2 maneuver tool won't come with some other weird bugs. Or something else related to painting parts or brachistochrone trajectories, or gravity model in Rausk twins system or...

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Your isrus will look like that

loIQmpO.png

Also, a lot of bugs you mentioned are very feature-specific. We don't know if KSP2 maneuver tool won't come with some other weird bugs. Or something else related to painting parts or brachistochrone trajectories, or gravity model in Rausk twins system or...

It will 100% come with plenty of new bugs.  Any non-trivial software will have bugs, especially games where it simply isn’t economical to track them down and fix them because  they don’t have the ability to cause real world damage. 
The game being delayed via EA, presumably because development itself is still not done, means you can expect lots of bugs with each release in the roadmap as they simply will have even less time to fix bugs before release.

The best we can hope for is that these bugs mostly fall into outlier’s where you don’t find them during “normal” gameplay unless you are purposefully going out of your way to find them or clearly using mechanics as they were not intended to be used.  Given that this is KSP that might seem like a tall order to expect people to play “normally” but the fact of that matter is that most of their customers are going to play the game a specific way and that is the play style that will be optimized to have as few bugs as possible. 

2 hours ago, Anth12 said:

A real comparison of KSP1 to KSP2 probably wont be right until KSP2 hits 1.0 which has a price tag of $60.

The full price will be really 60USD? I was expecting about 100USD.

I'm not complaining (not at all), a lower price will make it pretty easier to sell nowadays - but this makes buying the Early Access way less compelling.

"Hey, buy an unfinished product, help us to debug and polish it with your scarce free time and save 10 bucks after a year of work"...

Do you see my point?

I would suggest some perks for the early adopters, something with more (perceived) value than 10 bucks. I would suggest avoiding exclusive content, as this tends to angry people buying the full price later.

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned tyops!

29 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I would suggest some perks for the early adopters

Like, an indirect input into how the final game is going to look like?

And if your time is scarce, maybe you shouldn't invest it in the game before it's actually out. It's a perfectly valid reason after all.

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Like, an indirect input into how the final game is going to look like?

And if your time is scarce, maybe you shouldn't invest it in the game before it's actually out. It's a perfectly valid reason after all.

Not to mention you get to play the game early, even if it is just a part of it. I don't think that the developers need to or should change their early access program. The people who think it is worth it to buy the game for $10 off and play and playtest it will, and those who don't think it is worth it won't. Even if you change the incentives, the same will still apply, just with more or less people on each side of the fence. 

Edited by t_v

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

US$100?  Some developers are putting up the price a bit but that's way too high.

I am in New Zealand where the standard price for a new standard PC game is usually up to NZ$100 (US$60 currently = NZ$103.2 according to google)

So if KSP2 was US$100 then that would currently make it NZ$172 here. There is no standard game that is that high in this country. Not even console games

Edited by Anth12

9 hours ago, Anth12 said:

I am not sure if KSP2 will even have drills and ISRUs to start with based on what the roadmap talks about.

3 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Resource collection is a part of second to last update. Regardless of mobility of the parts.

Yeah it doesn't clarify if that applies to the smaller parts that we already on KSP1 or its just in regard to colony parts.

Just checked. About 117 dollars, not 1000

3 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

What?! How many DLC are there?

11 minutes ago, dogecoin investor said:

I think the original price for full release was said to be $60 but that was before early access was announced.

They might add some of the roadmap features as DLC, at this point I think that's more likely than the full price being only $10 higher than early access, or the price going above $60US (since I've also never seen a game that high).

Sims 4 with all DLC ends up somewhere around $1000. EA are unique in this kind of greed but once they get away with it, everyone else will probably start following the trend.

1 minute ago, Forked Camphor said:

A lot, like Microsoft Flight Sim and DCS World

I guess not...

Edited by Rutabaga22

What planets stated before the early access that were going to be added?

Ovin and Gurdamma (debdeb system) Was that it?

Was there one with a binary star system or was that Ovin? Or was that two planets orbiting each other?

21 minutes ago, dogecoin investor said:

They might add some of the roadmap features as DLC

Anything on the roadmap they have shown us for early access is for 1.0. I am not sure why they would indicate otherwise.

Edited by Anth12

21 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

What planets stated before the early access that were going to be added?

Ovin and Gurdamma (debdeb system) Was that it?

Was there one with a binary star system or was that Ovin? Or was that two planets orbiting each other?

Repo with entire section related do Debdeb. If it's not there, you can assume it's part of the Unnamed Solar System. Anything else is unknown.
    ↓

23 hours ago, Lisias said:

It's not about how much you make by sell, but how much you make at the end of the month with the sum of all the sells.

do you really believe the devs get a share of the earnings from the game? they have a fixed salary and possibly a relatively small bonus after release, depending on their contract

8 hours ago, Lisias said:

I'm not complaining (not at all), a lower price will make it pretty easier to sell nowadays - but this makes buying the Early Access way less compelling.

"Hey, buy an unfinished product, help us to debug and polish it with your scarce free time and save 10 bucks after a year of work"...

Do you see my point?

I would suggest some perks for the early adopters, something with more (perceived) value than 10 bucks. I would suggest avoiding exclusive content, as this tends to angry people buying the full price later.

They could do a free(small) dlc for early access that others can buy and maybe a flag for early access testing.

Edited by Ryaja

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Repo with entire section related do Debdeb. If it's not there, you can assume it's part of the Unnamed Solar System. Anything else is unknown.
    ↓

According to your posts we might be missing a few from KSP2 1.0

15 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I wonder how many people will just say, "nah KSP2 is just like ksp1 + Parallax 2.0 + DMP + some other mods, I'll just do that rather than spend $50"

On paper this makes sense, however the realities of doing so in KSP 1 make it impractical at best and outright impossible at worst.

As an example; I loaded a developed, extra-solar MKS colony on a heavily modded install. Note that this was before parallax 2.0 on version 1.7.3. It ran at 3 FPS.

And if that wasn't enough, there's a decent chance your colony will phase through the ground and explode each time you load it.

Edited by Luriss

Imagine not having any visual mods because you're stuck playing it on PS4... Must be hard because everything is only as pretty as you can make it out to be... As well as only being able to handle an ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM of 300 parts and 2 FPS trying to keep the throttle down enough to prevent aerodynamic effects from lowering the FPS even lower....... Sounds like a challenge.... Totally. Couldn't. Be. Me.

27d.jpg

Edited by BigStar Aerospace

OK, I'm in. I have been beta testing KSP since way back, EA is practically a tradition with KSP, will try to help.

Money is no object for me with KSP, you could price KSP2 EA at $100  and I would pay it though I am grateful that I am probably at the far end of the bell curve as that means I won't have to! Private Division have a rep for making quality games and their prices tend to reflect that at release and tend to remain high but for those who need to save money they do seem to have steam sales after a while. 

I got one of those coins and a flag the other day, just to show some interest and support. Money is not the whole story but you can't make a business work without it.

Its good you are publishing, bringing in some revenue, we have a date and you are committed to working on it into the future.

That's a good place to start.

I'm surprised to see so many people saying things like "they want $50 just to test an unfinished game" — like, no, it's $50 for the complete, finished game, to be delivered later, basically a preorder with a $10 (edit: $60 was speculation, not an official number) discount.  And in the meantime, you can play unfinished versions if you want to.  And it's not just KSP1 with nicer graphics; it's clear they've made a lot of architectural improvements under the hood.  KSP1 is fun, but it's always been kinda rickety, especially with mods; KSP2 should be a more solid and stable foundation since it was designed from the start with a clear idea of what features it needs to support, plus lessons learned from KSP1's limitations.

I'm disappointed, though not really surprised, that the EA won't support Linux (yet); I'm unlikely to actually play it much at first, unless it runs well in Steam's Proton or my (much older) Windows computer can handle it.

I plan to buy the EA regardless, though, since I think it's worth it.  Steam tells me I've played KSP1 for about 3500 hours; at $70 for the game plus expansions, that's about 2 cents per hour, which makes it one of the most economical games I've ever bought.  I expect KSP2 will be similar, even if I have to wait a while.

Edited by Wyzard

54 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

no, it's $50 for the complete, finished game, to be delivered later,

No it's $50 for the unfinished game and IF they release the complete game later you get that free.

Doesn't matter how likely that is, it's still an IF.

Never buy a game based on what it might become. Buy it based on what's there right now.

Even KSP2.

(All IMO)