Kerbal Space Program 2 Release into Early Access Feb 24th

Intercept Games

8 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Just ask a sandbox player. Or anyone who doesn't need artificially imposed barriers to have fun :)

Indeed, all I need to have fun is a box of paper and a pen. All the games in the entire world right at my finger tips.

Will it get the future free updates like KSP1 had(or will this happen at some point?)? And will all versions be compatible later? IE if I buy a windows version will I also have access to any future linux version for instance. Or will the PC ones potentially be separate?

Edited by Arugela

Most questions answered here.

But to answer your questions:

Yes, we'll get free updates, but not free DLC.

They PLAN on having all versions being compatible, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this. KSP 1 had several game breaking updates.

We don't know, since the Linux and Mac versions won't come until AFTER early access is over. If they come at all. 

Edited by GoldForest

The fact that they don't plan to make a Linux version (and a MacOS X version too) until EA is over (which will take, say... 1 year? Two years? At least.) means that Linux users will have to use Wine or similar software to be able to play the game, which may slow it down, or generate more bugs, or both (prepare for segfaults :D).

Maybe buying the EA isn't worth it then...

I actually bought a very powerful (and thus very expensive) M1 MacBook Pro, hoping it would run KSP2 with ease. Now I am feeling a bit stuck. I crave to have the EA version on day 1 with the prospect of putting new content on my YT channel but what if it doesn‘t run it at all?

Running a dual boot on an M1 seems to be somewhat tricky and probably nothing I want to try. There are comments about Steam Play but I am not sure what that means. I would even go as far as getting myself a mid-range Windows gaming PC if necessary but of course that is not my favorite option.

Can someone please provide more Information on M1 Mac compatibility via Steam Play? Thanks!

On 1/3/2023 at 9:45 AM, Shmauck said:

I actually bought a very powerful (and thus very expensive) M1 MacBook Pro, hoping it would run KSP2 with ease. Now I am feeling a bit stuck. I crave to have the EA version on day 1 with the prospect of putting new content on my YT channel but what if it doesn‘t run it at all?

Running a dual boot on an M1 seems to be somewhat tricky and probably nothing I want to try. There are comments about Steam Play but I am not sure what that means. I would even go as far as getting myself a mid-range Windows gaming PC if necessary but of course that is not my favorite option.

Can someone please provide more Information on M1 Mac compatibility via Steam Play? Thanks!

Probably worth putting this into its own thread, however, for a brief answer here for you Steam's Remote Play Together feature allows you to "stream" a game from a PC to another device like their previous Steam Link, your phone/tablet, or your Mac. So if you do what you were thinking with a mid-range Windows gaming PC then you could still play on your MacBook Pro, with the game actually running on your Windows PC. You might encounter some oddities depending on how you have your setup for capturing/streaming content on your MacBook Pro but it should be doable if you're using OBS to do a screen capture rather than a window capture, etc. The Steam client for Mac works fine for doing remote play, and the remote play functionality is very light weight so it should be very minimal impact running the Steam Mac client via Rosetta2 in order to use it for remote play.

Alternatively, you could also just capture the output from the mid-range Windows PC via something like the Elgato Game Capture HD60 X on your MacBook Pro and play on the Windows PC. If you have any other questions on this feel free to send me a direct message or start a new thread in the KSP 2 Discussion forum and I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Edited by PopinFRESH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Meredith Nathaniei said:

Does anyone know the minimum configuration standards for KSP2 computers, and I feel like I need a new, more powerful computer. (Hopefully it won't be 3090ti or higher)

No the minimum/recommended specs have not been released yet. I don’t expect the minimum will be all that bad. Given the stats that Steam collects it looks like a huge portion of the gaming community still use Nvidia GTX 1000 series cards (as do I), so I suspect somewhere along that line at worst for a minimum. 

Edited by MechBFP

16 hours ago, MechBFP said:

No the minimum/recommended specs have not been released yet. I don’t expect the minimum will be all that bad. Given the stats that Steam collects it looks like a huge portion of the gaming community still use Nvidia GTX 1000 series cards (as do I), so I suspect somewhere along that line at worst for a minimum. 

I'm hoping we get those specs before the launch date.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:16 PM, Meredith Nathaniei said:

Does anyone know the minimum configuration standards for KSP2 computers, and I feel like I need a new, more powerful computer. (Hopefully it won't be 3090ti or higher)

2 hours ago, stephensmat said:

I'm hoping we get those specs before the launch date.

No min or rec specs have come out, but they said they would post more information about the release timeline in "Early February" so expect to see the specs coming out with the timeline information. 

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

I'm betting on something like the WoW requirements.

I would say KSP 2's min specs are going to be a little higher than BlizzWoW's. 

Keep in mind, BlizzWow is a rather simple game in comparison to KSP 2. BlizzWoW does not need to calculate complicated rigid body physics, orbital rails, engine thrust, etc. KSP 2 has to do all that and more. 

I will be very surprised if anything less than a 6th or even maybe 7th gen CPU is the min spec.

And GTX 10 series for the GPU.

Gonna rip the band-aid off fast here: Kerbal Space Program 2 will release in 2022 instead of fall 2021. I

know this is frustrating, especially considering that this isn’t the first time we’ve adjusted our schedule.

Hi everyone – this is Nate Simpson, Creative Director for Kerbal Space Program 2. We have made the difficult decision to move the release date of KSP 2, which will now launch in early 2023 on PC with our console release later that year.

Kerbonauts, we’re excited to announce that

Kerbal Space Program 2 will be releasing in Early Access on February 24th, 2023, for an Early Access price of $49.99. The game will be available on PC only during Early Access, on the KSP website, Steam and Epic Games Store. Check out the in-depth Feature Video on the announcement here https://youtu.be/XAL3XaP-LyE.

What an absolute joke. They delay the game multiple times for 2 years and finally kick it out the door stripped of all the advertised features as "early access".

Why cant people see the painfully obvious grift?

Edited by p331083

2 hours ago, p331083 said:

Why cant people see the painfully obvious grift?

And you’ve spent how much on it?

That’s right, zero.  

If you’re unhappy with how things have gone, you don’t have to spend money on it.  

9 hours ago, p331083 said:

What an absolute joke. They delay the game multiple times for 2 years and finally kick it out the door stripped of all the advertised features as "early access".

Ok.  Don't buy it.

When was the last time you tried coding a game?  Especially one this complicated, doing things that NO other game (other than KSP 1) ever did?  Sub-millimeter precision on an interplanetary scale?

Yes, it was delayed.  You should ask "Why?" instead of just complaining about it.

They have provided a real roadmap, which I've rarely seen another game company do.  

They underestimated the amount of work the game would take.  It's a fairly common thing to happen, it's extremely rare that a software project is on time.

No one asked you for advice, no one asked you for money, and no one is forcing you to buy it.  Also, no one is making you post your ridiculous posts.

And before you react, consider that while I am not a game developer, I am a mod writer, and a software developer with many years of experience.  I also have some connections with game developers.  So I am speaking from a base of knowledge.

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sub-millimeter precision on an interplanetary scale?

Interstellar actually, using space volumetric division. By the way, I got a lot of flack from some users for saying that the sub-millimeter precision applies to everything using spacial coordinates, including rigid body array physics. They said it only applies to travel trajectory accuracy. I say it's both. What is your opinion?

Just now, Vl3d said:

Interstellar actually, using space volumetric division. By the way, I got a lot of flack from some users for saying that the sub-millimeter precision applies to everything using spacial coordinates, including rigid body array physics. They said it only applies to travel trajectory accuracy. I say it's both. What is your opinion?

It will depend on the frame of reference, and how they actually implemented the models.  My opinion is that it's going to be somewhat similar to KSP 1, although probably more refined .

It's all going to depend on how they solved the problem.  KSP 1 actually did a decent job, given it was the first time they did it.  I would expect  it to be done better in KSP 2, but they haven't really said anything specific about the actual implementation