Kerbal Space Program 2 Release into Early Access Feb 24th

Intercept Games

Honestly, any project you can learn from is a fairly worthwhile one, and any KSP that's open source is a fairly worthwhile cause. Even if it takes 20 years, if it only has feature parity with KSP 1 its a pretty noteworthy achievement considering everyone worked for free out of their precious spare time. The code will be there for future generations of game developers to learn from, and perhaps in time inspire an even greater KSP-style game without needing to deal with the obstacles that delayed development today.

Oh, certainly! If you find that sort of thing fun don't hesitate, get to it. I just think you should be realistic about what (and what quality) you're going to be able to produce in the same amount of time that a professional studio will, especially if you hold down a day job that isn't directly related to the project.

I look at what we're going to get for early access in KSP2 and it's miles past what we got for KSP1, even up to the 0.20 mark. It's like we're starting at 0.20 but we're also getting Scatterer, Procedural Wings, PreciseNode (look at me reliving past glories), I'm guessing Kerbal Alarm Clock, some GUI enhancements, and a ton of other stuff, and on top of that it'll probably be much more performant. We'll get science in the next pass too, how cool is that?

Edited by regex

17 minutes ago, regex said:

I look at what we're going to get for early access in KSP2 and it's miles past what we got for KSP1, even up to the 0.20 mark. It's like we're starting at 0.20 but we're also getting Scatterer, Procedural Wings, PreciseNode (look at me reliving past glories), I'm guessing Kerbal Alarm Clock, some GUI enhancements, and a ton of other stuff, and on top of that it'll probably be much more performant. We'll get science in the next pass too, how cool is that?

It's funny, I hadn't considered this when I was first forming my thoughts about the announcement. I joined the game around the 0.19/0.20 update time frame, and I absolutely adored it, even without all of the added content we will be getting.  Despite my initial disappointment of missing all the other content that won't be available on launch, this way of thinking kind of reassures me. I'm now more excited than I was yesterday!

5 hours ago, Xelo said:

image.png

I feel the layout strengths of the new UI should be combined with the clean style of the old one. (forgive my rushed photoshoping). I didn't do a great job in this example but hopefully the concept is conveyed.
Even though I'm a fan and artist of pixel art, information-dense UI doesn't seem like a good place to put it? Especially pixel art with dithering shading and varying sizes of pixels, it just makes the UI less approachable from my perspective.
There's also things like the orbital info showing with no obvious way to minimize it to reduce clutter when its not needed, the new atmosphere bar being vague about how dense the atmosphere is and where the rocket indicator is.
That's just my two cents :c

i would use all of those, there is different wants/visuals at different times..

On 10/21/2022 at 9:34 AM, memphis_mg said:

i am still very skeptical why you want to put ressorucen and time into a "mp" part.

usually it is so 2 rockets launch (if you can play side by side in one session) one flies right the other left and then you never see each other again in the vastness of space.

only so that I see on a map possibly somewhere a marker or point where the other is?

ksp should be for your own head creativity and experimentation that has not hurt part 1 nud part 2 either.

i just don't see the advantages this part should bring/create to the game especially if you put that against the time and effort to implement a system that should ensure timewarps, resource management of multiple clients and other accounting stuff in mp for the fact that you might NEVER see each other again after launch.

This is silly. No-one is taking away your ability to play single-player if that's your personal preference. Lots of other people, myself for example, are super excited for multiplayer. There's an entire separate thread where people discuss how multiplayer mechanics might work. KSP1 multiplayer mods have already existed for years and have already proven that it's quite possible to make multiplayer KSP both workable and fun (if a bit unstable - because these were mods for a game that wasn't designed to be multiplayer from the ground up - which KSP2 seemingly will be).

If all you can think of to do in multiplayer is fly off in a different direction from everyone else and stare at a "marker or point," that just tells me you need to exercise your imagination a tiny bit more.

Please don't tell me that the way I want to enjoy KSP2 is somehow "wrong." I personally can't wait for that last point on the roadmap.

Edited by Multivac

On 10/21/2022 at 8:34 AM, memphis_mg said:

i am still very skeptical why you want to put ressorucen and time into a "mp" part.

usually it is so 2 rockets launch (if you can play side by side in one session) one flies right the other left and then you never see each other again in the vastness of space.

only so that I see on a map possibly somewhere a marker or point where the other is?

ksp should be for your own head creativity and experimentation that has not hurt part 1 nud part 2 either.

i just don't see the advantages this part should bring/create to the game especially if you put that against the time and effort to implement a system that should ensure timewarps, resource management of multiple clients and other accounting stuff in mp for the fact that you might NEVER see each other again after launch.

My man has never heard of space engineers, Minecraft multiplayer

both has tons of space, but you often see people stick together, even in the case of minecraft, where they are millions of blocks away they still make a way to see eachother/build things together, show off what they have done.

7 hours ago, TLTay said:

I get it, money matters. 

I don't want to spend hours (and nearly full new game price) playing a buggy, feature barren Kerbal game just to aid development. I gleefully did that with Kerbal 1 because the team needed both the money and help. 

They couldn't even put a preview of any of the roadmap items in the video (big red flag) and have mentioned nearly nil about major parts of the game. Instead we get a video featuring procedural wings fins and... paint!?!? Are you serious, you already showed us this in previous videos! It's a giant red flag that there ISN'T ANYTHING ELSE TO SHOW.

Look, I love Kerbal IP. I legit do. But if they put this "game" to EA as a karckenified hollow shell and it gets rejected by reviewers, that could really damage its chances of survival over time.

Why abuse Intercept Games now? They have 4 months to tease us with more things in KSP2 before releasing EA. Of course they aren't going to show us everything.

KSP2 EA Launch on the 24th of February 2023 is the time to give feedback. Not right now.

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I needed a moment to process this and my mind is still overheating. I'm not the one to search for implications, but in the first post here there's "Colonies not only pose their own physics challenges, but also require resource gathering to build structures, space stations, habitations, and unique fuel types. [...] Next-gen tech, colonies, and systematic resource gathering all lead to a whole new level of exploration: interstellar travel."

Now I assume it's about the final version of the game, as it's supposed to look after Early Access period. So that makes sense, obviously. However, returning to the quoted sentence, while all of that also makes sense, I'm not sure if Interstellar travel before resources is the way to go. As in that case, we would just start building our new settlements not only in the Kerbol system like before, but on Gurdamma as well, out of thin air? May as well send the cheapest version of the interstellar vessel since I don't have to bring anything aside from a lander.

I'm still thinking about this. My guess is that for the first few updates all parts will be basically free, giving players total design freedom to build all kinds of wild things, which probably gives them a lot more feedback on just how all the basic part interactions, masses, efficiencies, etc. are playing out. It's not like resource collection and processing can be accomplished by slapping on a few drills and a processor or two. It's probably one of the most complex and hard to tune systems in the game, and I'm guessing they want everything else running relatively smoothly before they introduce it. As someone pointed out though while some players (me) will probably start a new save on each update, others will likely plow ahead in a single save right until resources come in and then start over. My guess is the devs would ideally like to see players dive into interstellar travel, all the new engines, whatever UI tricks they've got up their sleeves, and the new planets themselves as soon as they're released, so they're giving players the easiest possible road to work up to building those missions. Rather than build up a whole resource economy anyone who's built an orbital shipyard can load up a massive interstellar vessel and go.  The only drawback I see is that players will be pretty spoiled by then on free parts, so having to go back and put in the work to gather materials to build them might feel more onerous than it would if it were introduced earlier and skew perceptions of balance. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

6 minutes ago, Aliquido said:

If you purchase early access, do you have to purchase the full game after that's released?

its early access of the full game, so yes if you buy now, you keep forever (unless there is DLC's that require purchase)

13 minutes ago, Aliquido said:

If you purchase early access, do you have to purchase the full game after that's released?

Usually that's the whole point of early access, the developers get some extra funding while development still continues and players get the full game on release while also getting to mess around with the game in development. From the developer standpoint it's kind of like taking money away from your future self, but it can also keep you going in development.

Edited by regex

23 minutes ago, regex said:

Usually that's the whole point of early access, the developers get some extra funding while development still continues and players get the full game on release while also getting to mess around with the game in development. From the developer standpoint it's kind of like taking money away from your future self, but it can also keep you going in development.

well with them saying that the price will go up in price after full release they will be losing some income, but i can already see this game getting 100k downloads before even 1.0, but with steam saying only a active 12k players on ksp, im just skewing my view via the amount of "reviews" but then again ksp 2 ear access announcement OVER 320k views in 15 hours.. might say something elsewise of the intial amount of purchases before full release

(currently looking at how many views right now, 420k nice)

The science and career/campaign/whatever needs to be radically different or it'll be kinda garbage. I love KSP, but science/career was poorly done, and never fixed. It's LULZ, kerbal! sort of garbage like "test the largest booster stage falling at random planet at altitude Y" for no reason, or the current "Haul ore from the bottom of this gravity well to the bottom of that gravity well—for reasons!"

Or buying parts with science. That first post of mine up thread still stands—and yeah, part failures should be a thing, at the very least for experimental parts. Ie: you can unlock parts above what you have in some way, but in return they are experimental until tested to some level. Ie: you haven't unlocked a nerva yet, every tech node above what you have that you unlock it (costs $, but you don't yet have the points to unlock it) adds some % of failure to the part, maybe some tiny % checked at engine start/stop/throttle, then at time intervals while running. After some number of failure checks accomplished, the next one used has a lower %, eventually becoming 100%—which it is if you buy it the normal way. Testing like that makes sense. I honestly think failures should be rare but possible all the time, because I think that ends up being more fun (having to deal with emergencies). Also, engineer kerbals can be allowed to fix stuff.

The game really needs to fully embrace reuse as well—flyback boosters, for example. The same self-flying can be used to have scheduled service between colonies, station resupply, etc.

12 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

well with them saying that the price will go up in price after full release they will be losing some income, but i can already see this game getting 100k downloads before even 1.0, but with steam saying only a active 12k players on ksp, im just skewing my view via the amount of "reviews" but then again ksp 2 ear access announcement OVER 320k views in 15 hours.. might say something elsewise of the intial amount of purchases before full release

I rarely played through Steam so I don't have a full accounting of my time playing KSP1, but I'm confident I put in over 1000 hours all told, probably much more. I created mods, I helped others create mods, I played for days... By the time Making History landed I was so completely burnt out on the game I couldn't bear to load it up. I haven't touched KSP1 since then and I have no desire to load it up.

I hardly think I'm the only one like this. I think there's going to be a pretty big resurgent community coming back for KSP2.

12 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

(currently looking at how many views right now, 420k nice)

lol

1 hour ago, Anth12 said:

Why abuse Intercept Games now? They have 4 months to tease us with more things in KSP2 before releasing EA. Of course they aren't going to show us everything.

KSP2 EA Launch on the 24th of February 2023 is the time to give feedback. Not right now.

Why?

Because they're charging full price for and Early Access game.

43 minutes ago, Tweeker said:

Why?

Because they're charging full price for and Early Access game.

almost full price, im expecting it to be 60 usd on full release w/o DLC's, so we are getting a "savings" of 10 dollars

1 hour ago, Stephensan said:

but with steam saying only a active 12k players on ksp

That is on Steam. Many more bought the game directly or from GOG. Many people are more comfortable managing installations themselves rather than through a service that thinks for us.

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

The only drawback I see is that players will be pretty spoiled by then on free parts, so having to go back and put in the work to gather materials to build them might feel more onerous than it would if it were introduced earlier and skew perceptions of balance. 

Pretty much that. All of a sudden I would have to start thinking carefully where I set up my base after not thinking carefully for [insert time period between feb 24 and Resource Update]. And start sending scanners over already inhabitated planets, if the saves are compatible.

Guess that reminded me why I leave EA games for long months between playthroughs, even if updates are frequent - I don't like to repeat the same thing again too often even if there was a major addition somewhere.

KSP has the advantage of, what's the word.. long playtime? I can spend IRL days without going further than LKO, and there's a whole solar system to explore. Way over 1000 hours (probably closer to 2000) in KSP1 and I still haven't landed a Kerbal on anything further than Duna, except for Bop and Pol (I think). So maybe there won't be a case of repeating.

17 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

and I still haven't landed a Kerbal on anything further than Duna, except for Bop and Pol (I think). So maybe there won't be a case of repeating.

Aw damn if you have time load up some visual mods and do a Laythe mission. There’s this really cool improv that tends to happen encountering Jool where you can do a Vall or Tylo gravity assist to cheaply encounter Laythe, or just aerobrake if you’re brave. The oxygen atmosphere also opens up some cool options. Its just a gorgeous experience seeing Jool rise on the Horizon. 

Or I guess wait for KP2 for it to be all the prettier?

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

All my Jool encounters get near Tylo for a gravity assist, it saves tons of fuel. In any case, I don't know what would come first - me, back to KSP1 or KSP2 in February.

I'd say you should play ksp 1 to make the changes in ksp 2 more obvious.

I also think there’s a weird kind of disparagement for Squad that Ive seen since KSP2’s announcement, about a ‘professional team coming in” which is true, and the passion we’ve seen from Nate and Shana and Tom and many others is undeniable, but still it turns out even with hindsight and improved hardware the very real problems Squad endeavored to solve were really, really hard and took every but as much time for anyone else. I know this cuts both ways but I think we might all have some appreciation at this moment for all the ingenuity and perseverance the Squad team showed making KSP1 what it is. 

Edited by Pthigrivi