Kerbal Space Program 2 Release into Early Access Feb 24th

Intercept Games

38 minutes ago, Jacob Kerman said:

Also, it's being released on the newest consoles, and it's already stated it should run smoothly on them. Anybody have an idea on what you can do to see bare minimum specs?;))

Trouble is, even if you can get a pc with specs roughly equal to what consoles offer,  pc games are often way more demanding than what is offered on consoles. Not saying this will be the case here but the truth is, many demanding games that ran smoothly on ps4 would have problems running on a pc with similar hardware. Same applies to current gen.

5 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Trouble is, even if you can get a pc with specs roughly equal to what consoles offer,  pc games are often way more demanding than what is offered on consoles. Not saying this will be the case here but the truth is, many demanding games that ran smoothly on ps4 would have problems running on a pc with similar hardware. Same applies to current gen

Purely an optimization problem. Even the new consoles are fairly weak compared to a PC. But the consoles have quality standards, dev machines that give them inside access to the hardware, and they don't have to deal with windows. Games that are console first are often not optimized at all for PC, minimum effort. PC first games must have more attention to fit the very specific hardware, and it still doesn't always go right. A good multiplatform game is to generic to fully use the any hardware, unless many builds are done and lots of money is spent.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:01 PM, rmaine said:

I notice several people seem to be taking the above comment seriously. Apparently someone's humor detector has failed; I grant the possibility that it is mine. :-)

I was deadly serious about that.  Still am, too.  

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

Just now, BinaryKillerRecoded said:

So, we have all had a look at the roadmap and it seems fair and cool.... But I haven't seemed to find where you guys have mentioned anything about how much time 1 piece of the roadmap is gonna take, and I am currently wondering about that, will that take 1 month, 2 months or 3 months respectively?

No one can say. It could take 1 month; it could take 6 months. It also depends on the milestone and how much time they want to spend on feedback and updates for it. 

The science update for instance, might take 2 months to release after EA, and then they might spend a month or 2 tuning it. So that will make the colony update release in about 3 to 4 months. (Assuming it is ready for release, if not, it could take more time)

The colony update with then probably spend 3 to 4 months in feedback/update cycle.

So on and so forth.

Ultimate answer, no one can tell, not even the devs. Though, I'm sure the devs have internal deadlines/targets, but I doubt they will release those to the public. Squad found out the hard way why giving out deadlines to the public is a bad idea.

There is absolutely an internal roadmap somewhere at Intercept that shows the milestone dates associated with the public roadmap, as well as some planned release dates for them, but I can't imagine them sharing it. Hopefully, we'll get some hints to approximate timeline closer to or soon after the early access goes live.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

No one can say. It could take 1 month; it could take 6 months. It also depends on the milestone and how much time they want to spend on feedback and updates for it. 

The science update for instance, might take 2 months to release after EA, and then they might spend a month or 2 tuning it. So that will make the colony update release in about 3 to 4 months. (Assuming it is ready for release, if not, it could take more time)

The colony update with then probably spend 3 to 4 months in feedback/update cycle.

So on and so forth.

Ultimate answer, no one can tell, not even the devs. Though, I'm sure the devs have internal deadlines/targets, but I doubt they will release those to the public. Squad found out the hard way why giving out deadlines to the public is a bad idea.

Aha, so in that case, it will be a possible 2 years wait for the multiplayer access, just assuming from what seems the logical maximum wait time, I am more interested in the multiplayer than the colony stuff actually :) 

5 minutes ago, BinaryKillerRecoded said:

Aha, so in that case, it will be a possible 2 years wait for the multiplayer access, just assuming from what seems the logical maximum wait time, I am more interested in the multiplayer than the colony stuff actually :) 

More or less, possibly. Again, there are no set times that we know of, and any internal deadlines will remain non-public information until Intercept decides to announce a release date for the update, if they decide to do so.

Could be 6 months from now, it could be 6 years. 

The real answer to the question of how long it takes is this:
As long as it takes for you to succeed in a difficult mission in KSP2 with the stuff you already have (i.e., basically all of KSP1's stock parts + a few new ones).

In other words, try sending N Kerbals to Eve and back to Kerbin. Try descending deep into Jool and returning back to space. Play KSP2 how you've already played KSP1.
The plus side of that is you can hunt for more bugs for Intercept to fix, ultimately making KSP2 better than KSP1 after EA release gets polished.

It may have glitches. It may crash. But give it a week, maybe two, and I'm sure it'll become far more playable.
No matter what, do not give KSP2 any unwarranted criticism. Too much of that, and T2 could pull the plug on KSP2 due to what they might perceive as a "poor business decision".

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the only reason anyone's asking these sorts of questions is because they're waiting for Feb 24. Once people are having fun with KSP2, I'm sure they'll be far more patient for new updates.

Edited by intelliCom

2 hours ago, intelliCom said:

As long as it takes for you to succeed in a difficult mission in KSP2 with the stuff you already have (i.e., basically all of KSP1's stock parts + a few new ones).

In other words, try sending N Kerbals to Eve and back to Kerbin. Try descending deep into Jool and returning back to space. Play KSP2 how you've already played KSP1.
The plus side of that is you can hunt for more bugs for Intercept to fix, ultimately making KSP2 better than KSP1 after EA release gets polished.

It may have glitches. It may crash. But give it a week, maybe two, and I'm sure it'll become far more playable.
No matter what, do not give KSP2 any unwarranted criticism. Too much of that, and T2 could pull the plug on KSP2 due to what they might perceive as a "poor business decision".

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the only reason anyone's asking these sorts of questions is because they're waiting for Feb 24. Once people are having fun with KSP2, I'm sure they'll be far more patient for new updates.

Not trying to, just curious overall.

Just way too excited about KSP2 as I have been following since the announcement

5 hours ago, intelliCom said:

As great as having an actual game made out of KSP is, it's horrifying to think now that there are now (or, for the past half decade) old-men-in-suits who have control over how KSP 2 is managed.

18 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

As great as having an actual game made out of KSP is, it's horrifying to think now that there are now (or, for the past half decade) old-men-in-suits who have control over how KSP 2 is managed.

Aaah yes, the good ole' "suits" again. I bet you expect micropayments for every launch and wing commander-style physics because KSP1 was too hard for the masses?

Yet, weirdly enough, we have Nate Simpson in charge of the project, who seems very passionate about it, a dozen or so influencers relevant to the game were sent on a trip to Noordwijk and  instead of killing the project after the Star Helix fiasco they set up their own studio, doubling down on their KSP "bet." haven't seen anythingyet that suggests that their goal is to kill the game, as we were ensured three years ago.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:03 PM, Intercept Games said:

KSP2EA_Keyart_Announce (2).jpg

Kerbonauts, we’re excited to announce that Kerbal Space Program 2 will be releasing in Early Access on February 24th, 2023, for an Early Access price of $49.99. The game will be available on PC only during Early Access, on the KSP website, Steam and Epic Games Store. Check out the in-depth Feature Video on the announcement here https://youtu.be/XAL3XaP-LyE.

Kerbal Space Program 2 has been fully redesigned from the ground up to meet the demands of modern and next-generation space exploration, all while maintaining the monumental foundations of the first game. Construct powerful spacecraft and navigate expansive celestial bodies as you explore cosmic mysteries. Releasing in Early Access, KSP 2 will allow players to see features as they are released and provide feedback to shape this exciting game through development.  New features will periodically be added through Early Access that will captivate veteran and returning players, as well as usher in a whole new wave of Kerbonauts to the ingenious and comedic world that has entertained millions.  

Key Features:

• Major upgrades during Early Access: Get a front-row seat as major new systems come online, including the addition of new star systems, interstellar travel technologies, colonies, multiplayer, and more. Become part of the development process by contributing feedback throughout the Early Access period and be the first to play exciting updates as they are released. 
  • Improved onboarding: Kerbal Space Program 2 will create a whole new generation of spaceflight experts who will find themselves accidentally learning the fundamentals of rocket science. New animated tutorials, improved UI, and fully revamped assembly and flight interfaces allow both experienced and novice players to quickly put their creativity to the test without sacrificing any of the challenge from the original game. 
  • Customizable parts and new space-flight technology: In Kerbal Space Program 2, the astoundingly inventive creations that KSP is known for will be taken to a whole new level. Players will be delighted and challenged by a new generation of engines, parts, fuel, procedural parts systems, and much more. The overhauled vehicle assembly interface includes part sorting and a blueprint view for making precise adjustments. And of course, new part coloring allows you to customize your creations like never before.
  • Rich new environments to explore: Unprecedented detail, variety, and realism make each celestial body a rewarding destination. Clouds, atmospheric scattering, and an all-new terrain system combine to take your breath away, from ground level all the way to orbit!
  • New tools to optimize your exploration of the universe: Along with other massive new UI/UX improvements, you can now use time warp while accelerating and plan complex maneuvers with ease using the new non-impulsive maneuver planner. New sphere of influence and atmosphere indicators take the guesswork out of interplanetary maneuvering!

KSP2_Steam_About_ROADMAP_EN.png

Key Features to come during Early Access:

• Next Generation Technology: As the game updates progress, players will gain access to a whole new set of next generation tools and technology including new engines, parts, fuel, and much more. This new tech will not just create novel puzzles for players to solve, but will also enable new feats of space exploration within and beyond the original Kerbolar System.
  • Colonies: Brand new to Kerbal Space Program 2 are colonies.  Colonies not only pose their own physics challenges, but also require resource gathering to build structures, space stations, habitations, and unique fuel types. Eventually, these colonies become advanced enough for vehicle construction, propelling deep space exploration and beyond. 
  • Interstellar Travel: Next-gen tech, colonies, and systematic resource gathering all lead to a whole new level of exploration: interstellar travel. In Kerbal Space Program 2, interstellar technologies pave the way to a host of new star systems and celestial bodies, each comprising novel challenges and harboring secret treasures. Among them: Charr, a heat-blasted world of iron; Ovin, a ringed super-Earth with relentless gravity; Rask and Rusk, a binary pair locked in a dance of death; and many more to reward exploration.
  • Multiplayer: It’s KSP2…but with more chaos, competition, or cooperation -- depending on your friends. Players should expect some hilarious and exciting moments as KSP2 will allow you to tackle challenges against or with other players. 
  • Modding: We expect modders to dig into KSP2 on day one. We recognize that the modding community has played a big role in the longevity of KSP, and we continue to be impressed by the mods that are released. The team aims to ensure that over the course of Early Access, the sequel is even more mod-friendly and release updates aimed to support the modding community. Additionally, the team will be collecting feedback and analyzing how to continue to improve modding support with the community.

*Based on Private Division’s suggested retail price. Actual retail price may differ. See local platform store for pricing and terms

FAQs

Why Early Access?

More than anything else, we cannot wait for players to build, fly, crash, and fly again!

The core pillar of KSP2 is building and flying cool rockets. While we have additional features planned like colonies, interstellar travel, and multiplayer, we first want to hear back from players about the core fundamental experience.
We believe that going through early access for KSP2 will ultimately allow us to build a better game through a supportive dialogue with our community.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

Initial release of Early Access will include:

• Remodeled and visually updated Kerbolar system with celestial secrets to uncover

• Hundreds of new and improved parts including engines, procedural wings, and more                           

• Customize your vehicles with creative paint jobs

• Improved experience for new and returning players

• Animated Tutorials

• Improved User Interface

• Upgraded Map View

• Fully revamped assembly & flight interfaces

• More for players to discover (we don’t want to spoil everything)

Why aren’t the features we’ve been hearing about included in the day 1 launch version of Early Access?

Colonies, interstellar travel, and multiplayer, along with other to-be-revealed features, are all under active development. We will release these features once each meets both our standards as well as those of the community.

It is also critical to us that the core of KSP 2 is first made as great as it can be for new and returning players alike, with help from your feedback in Early Access.

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

Your feedback will be crucial in helping to make KSP 2 the best it can be, and we want to hear about everything that is important to you. Are the tutorials effective and are there enough of them? Have the user interface changes made a meaningful impact? Is the localization accurate?

Most importantly, we want players to play for thousands of hours. What will keep you playing? During Early Access there will be a form on the KSP website to submit detailed feedback. It can also be accessed from the game’s launcher and the Steam page.

You can follow the development progress through our various social channels: the KSP subreddit, the official KSP forums, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Facebook.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

Yes, KSP 2 will sell for $49.99 (SRP) during Early Access, and we expect that the price will be raised at 1.0 release

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

KSP 2 will stay in Early Access until we feel that the game and its full feature set are at our desired level of quality. Check out our roadmap above for our planned feature releases and make sure to follow our social channels for further information on timing of updates.

When will the console version be released? 

KSP2 is a complex game and we believe that to provide the best possible console experience for our players it requires the latest consoles hardware. So we will only currently be releasing on PS5 and Xbox X|S for the console versions.

For the Xbox Series X|S and PS5 versions of the game to complete development, content from the PC version must first be completed. Console versions will come out as soon as possible after the completion of the Early Access period.

This also means that the console versions will benefit from many of the improvements applied over the course of Early Access.

Will there be mods during early access?

We expect modders to dig into KSP2 on day one. We recognize that the modding community has played a big role in the longevity of KSP, and we continue to be impressed by the mods that are released. The intent with KSP 2 is to improve the modding experience even further, and we look forward to hearing feedback from modders over the course of early access.

Will Mac or Linux versions come out in Early Access?

These versions are part of our extended roadmap. We’ll share more information at a later date.            

Will the game be optimized for Steam Deck?

KSP 2 will not have official Steam Deck optimization, but we will closely monitor player feedback for how this may be supported in the future.

Can I play KSP 2 offline?

Yes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

The 1.0 version of KSP 2 will include significantly more features than the Early Access version, such as what you see on the roadmap plus other items added along the way. This includes:

·       More parts and the opportunity for more creative builds

·       More star systems and hidden anomalies

·       Improved quality of life and onboarding to open up the vast beauty of space to even more players

·       Continued performance improvements and visual updates

We can’t wait for you to join us on this journey into the stars!

Never has one day dropped so many MOAR BOOSTERS !!!!

On 10/21/2022 at 7:26 PM, poopslayer78 said:

Current Actual UI Deep Fake Suggested UI That I Made NgDZ4Ky.png fF0qITi.png

Yay!  The ESA event footage shows an unambiguous thin line next to the rocket showing your precise position in the atmosphere!  The devs also made the 4 atmosphere regions less dithered.

Sounds like the devs are listening to our feedback and made the change within a reasonable turnaround time.

u1GGNBS.png

Source: Matt Lowne KSP 2 APOLLO STYLE MUN MISSION

Just now, septemberWaves said:

Is there a clear idea yet of what the science system will actually be like in KSP 2? I hope to see long-term experiments and something more interesting done with the way labs work.

Look up either Matt Lowne or Scott Manley videos uploaded in the last day. One of them has something about the science system being different and better in KSP2. Can't remember specifics.

10 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

Is there a clear idea yet of what the science system will actually be like in KSP 2? I hope to see long-term experiments and something more interesting done with the way labs work.

7 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

Look up either Matt Lowne or Scott Manley videos uploaded in the last day. One of them has something about the science system being different and better in KSP2. Can't remember specifics.

Science mode isn't in the game yet, and probably won't be for a few months.

Hi,

ive added Kerbal Space Porgram 2 under https://spacedock.info/kerbal-space-program-2

to SpaceDock.

Because we dont know the Version Numbers yet i used a temporary Version number of 0.0.0.0.1. Once "real" Version numbers are added to SpaceDock you just have to click update on your mods like you would with any new game release.

Who will be the first to upload a KSP2 mod?

Have fun.

1 hour ago, intelliCom said:

Science mode isn't in the game yet, and probably won't be for a few months.

You are answering a question that was not asked. The question was about what the science system will be like at the time that update is released. I am aware that it will not be in the game on launch; what I want to know is whether there is currently any clear idea of what it will be like once it gets implemented.