Non-Binary Kerbals and Gender Non-conforming Kerbals In KSP2?

10 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I'd be very surprised if the Kerbals living in colonies are in space suits. And I wouldn't be all that surprised if Life Support is in the game that there is some form of waste management.

So are you expecting to see male and female features? Surely you don't think we'd see whats going in in the toilets (which I'd be surprised to see since Jeb can exist on an external command module for 10,000 years and not once go to a bathroom)

Could you possibly give an idea as to how you'd like to see this implemented?

4 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So are you expecting to see male and female features? Surely you don't think we'd see whats going in in the toilets (which I'd be surprised to see since Jeb can exist on an external command module for 10,000 years and not once go to a bathroom)

Could you possibly give an idea as to how you'd like to see this implemented?

I'll bite.

I expect them to - as they do now - show in their cartoonish way male and female features.

I hope they will - as they do not do now - allow the mixing of those features so they better represent the Humans that play the game. Exactly like the addition of female Kerbals did years ago.

I expect them to show exactly as much use of the bathroom as they currently show private body parts of the Kerbals. I don't think we need to see Jeb [explete]ing an [explective] into a bowl to know he's [explete]ing [expletive]s, just like we don't need to see Val's [expletive]s to know they are fundamentally physically different to Jeb's [expletive]s.

I would like to see Life Support not implemented, but from what I recall that ship has sailed and it will be in the game in some form. In that case, I'd like a method to address waste to be in the game, implying that Kerbals do in fact produce it.

11 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I'll bite.

Im really being genuine here, not playing a devils advocate or just trying to get a rise and I appreciate you responding.

15 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I expect them to - as they do now - show in their cartoonish way male and female features.

Personally, Im just not a fan of sexualizing kerbals and don't think it needs to be brought into the game. I don't desire to see some kerbals with chest lumps to signify their sex for instance. 

16 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I expect them to show exactly as much use of the bathroom as they currently show private body parts of the Kerbals. I don't think we need to see Jeb [explete]ing an [explective] into a bowl to know he's [explete]ing [expletive]s, just like we don't need to see Val's [expletive]s to know they are fundamentally physically different to Jeb's [expletive]s.

The point of me bringing that up was in contrast to you arguing them visiting a toilet would be of significance in demonstrating that they have different sexes which it really wont unless we get sims 1 in here.

20 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I would like to see Life Support not implemented, but from what I recall that ship has sailed and it will be in the game in some form. In that case, I'd like a method to address waste to be in the game, implying that Kerbals do in fact produce it.

I'll be straight with you and agree that if life support is introduced I would like that as well

20 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:
42 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Personally, Im just not a fan of sexualizing kerbals and don't think it needs to be brought into the game. I don't desire to see some kerbals with chest lumps to signify their sex for instance. 

I don't think you are describing the same thing. In KSP 1, there is a distinction when a kerbal is male or female, even though we don't see any differences beyond the face. (and to anticipate, no this isn't the players making something up, this is something that was an intentional design decision, and was communicated as such, and the design is pretty suggestive of the male and female sex in the traditional sense)

If nonbinary or other gender nonconforming kerbals were in the game, I think it would be represented the same way - perhaps a sliding scale where the face can be between the oval and rectangular shapes that are the current options, generated hair styles that aren't commonly associated with a certain sex, and other facial representation. Simply not separating the list of options between two groups would accomplish this if you went really low effort, and then if you spend the amount of effort it takes to make the two lists separate, you can instead set up a few simple systems to give different distributions of features. 

31 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Im really being genuine here, not playing a devils advocate or just trying to get a rise and I appreciate you responding.

I'm glad I bit then. :)

The important thing to me (and if I must assume, the OP as well) has nothing to do with the Kerbals being logically constructed from a biological perspective.

The important part to me is that anyone should be able to see a Kerbal that could be them, that is different from but equal to all the other Kerbals that don't remind them of themselves.

...and then accidentally kill them during landing.

I'd be fine with any kerbal having any combination of face shape, hair, eyelashes, or names, but I don't think there's a need for any kind of bar or identifier of gender. In the words of the developers, the kerbals "just are; they always have been and they always will be" (I believe that came from the first or second feature episode). Adding in mechanics and overcomplicating them (like waste management, and from the sound of it, male vs. female types of waste) just for the sake of diversity isn't necessary, and would end up with players selecting only male or only female (or those on that side of the bar) to make things easier, which sounds like the opposite of what is wanting to be done. 

As I said before, combinations of visuals/names are okay (and encouraged, they're plants after all, what does it matter what they look like) but I don't think any gameplay mechanics need to be centered around gender. That's my two cents.

It's 2022. If Intercept didn't do this, they would quickly get bombarded with long, hostile reply threads on Twitter.
Since it'll only really be relevant for multiplayer (seeing as your Kerbal is basically your "avatar" in this case), they probably won't add it right away.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I'd just make them all fully customizable, so we wouldn't have to worry about this in the first place because everyone would be able to design their Kerbals however they'd like anyway.

At the end of the day, I would like the spaceflight simulator with nondescript green aliens to focus entirely on spaceflight simulation with nondescript green aliens.
Those are my two cents.

Edited by Maple Kerman

8 hours ago, Strawberry said:

I do find the implication in this thread that kerbals with male features and male names are nondescript and non gendered, but kerbals with female features and female names are now suddenly descript and gendered very funny. 

Exactly... I can see some bigoted "opinions" shining through some of the posts here.

Im sure the mods will come in and lock this thread again, which really sucks. We’re all on the same team here—people who love space and engineering and all the adorable goodness that Kerbals represent. The least we can do is have honest respect for each other and show some decency and politeness. Thats what has always made this community great, and if we learn more about each other all the better. 

11 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Exactly... I can see some bigoted "opinions" shining through some of the posts here.

Sadly that's the way people will always be, but I believe that everyone should at least get a chance at asking for representation in a game that suits them so strongly! Like me actually working for NASA at my high school, I also hope to be the first non-binary person in space. Having any type of prejudice against someone, especially when it involves an industry that's so vastly inclusive is just ignorant. Yet ignorance is bliss for those who refuse to educate themselves.

1 minute ago, Pthigrivi said:

Im sure the mods will come in and lock this thread again, which really sucks. We’re all on the same team here—people who love space and engineering and all the adorable goodness that Kerbals represent. The least we can do is have honest respect for each other and show some decency and politeness. Thats what has always made this community great, and if we learn more about each other all the better. 

“A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.” - Yoda

Just now, Octavio1 said:

Im not sure either, im just trying make fighters and i think the engines are a littleeeee bit too powerful, causing the excruciatingly painful and violent disintegration of their bodies  a bit of a unplanned disassembly

Modded? I'm getting mach 6.2 with stock.... I found that less parts to engine ratio means that you can go faster and get a higher TWR. My last plane got to 2103.2 m/s with 6 engines, one nose cone, that pointy thing that you put on the front for SAS, two fuel tanks, and the capsule. Oh, and three control surfaces.

I did have to turn off re-entry heating though because otherwise I esssssssploooooooshon

On 10/21/2022 at 4:45 PM, BigStar Aerospace said:

Keep in mind, Sally Ride, the first American "woman" and third "woman" in space, did not personally follow the gender binary, she was in fact an important part of the LGBTQIA+ community after she admitted her secret on her deathbed.

From what I can tell on her Wikipedia page, she wasn't trans or non-binary, she was lesbian.

P.S. The use of quotation marks were unwarranted. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

Modded? I'm getting mach 6.2 with stock.... I found that less parts to engine ratio means that you can go faster and get a higher TWR. My last plane got to 2103.2 m/s with 6 engines, one nose cone, that pointy thing that you put on the front for SAS, two fuel tanks, and the capsule. Oh, and three control surfaces.

I did have to turn off re-entry heating though because otherwise I esssssssploooooooshon

haha sweet, im currently using a lot of mods atm, somewhere around 51-55? i have mods like FAR on it and some other assortment of engine parts

Edited by Octavio1

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

From what I can tell on her Wikipedia page, she wasn't trans or non-binary, she was lesbian.

P.S. The use of quotation marks were unwarranted. Thank you.

I put it in quotation marks because I refuse to assume the gender of a lesbian that passed in 2012 when being trans was still very socially unacceptable compared to being lesbian.

8 hours ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

I put it in quotation marks because I refuse to assume the gender of a lesbian that passed in 2012 when being trans was still very socially unacceptable compared to being lesbian.

That's implying that trans women aren't women. They are. You don't need to assume anything or use quotation marks.

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

she wasn't trans or non-binary

Also, she did not follow the gender binary in itself by being lesbian and not following gender expectations, gender expectations mean we are expected to be attracted to the "opposite" gender. I'm only being polite because society did not allow her to be herself sooner.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

That's implying that trans women aren't women. They are. You don't need to assume anything or use quotation marks.

You dare use my own spell on me?

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

They are.

Agreed, I never said they weren't.

37 minutes ago, BigStar Aerospace said:
37 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You dare use my own spell on me?

My tired 2am mind realized that the implication that she may be a trans man. Forgive me for the lapse in judgement, I'm just sick of humans. Caring about gender and all that pointless twaddle. Still a deluded tribal race. [snip] We're several millennia behind what a race capable of creating nuclear bombs should be.

Edited by Vanamonde