KSP 2 Skybox

ChubbyCat

What are your opinions on the skybox/background we have been shown so far in many show and tells and feature videos? 

fuO16TF.pngt5TUXiK.png

Personally, I really hope it isn't final. The bluish greenish color looks really ugly to me, and stands out too much. I feel like it distracts from the imagery of the actual planets and vehicles. In the original game, I loved looking at the bright beauty of planets floating in a contrasted black void, which was only slightly spotted with white stars. 

What do you think? Do you like it? Do you hate it? No opinion? Do you think it's final? 

I think it looks fine, would be much happier to play with that than the muddy KSP1 skybox. If it's any consolation the skybox will probably be one of the easy, early modding targets.

49 minutes ago, ChubbyCat said:

I loved looking at the bright beauty of planets floating in a contrasted black void, which was only slightly spotted with white stars

H0eK40n.jpegcewIV9n.jpeg

Sorry? :lol:

What you said there is exactly what you can see in the screenshots you provided, aside from the obvious galaxy center.

It reminds me of Eve Online, where it felt as if you were always flying in the clouds. The higher res texture is much appreciated, though, and I know the modders will provide. :cool: I personally prefer space to look very black. Too much color takes me out of it.

4 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

uhh?

Orion_Nebula_-_Hubble_2006_mosaic_18000.

Antares_and_Rho_Ophiuchi_by_Adam_Block.j

heic1518a.jpg

just sayin....

I meant the overall colors of the skybox just felt off to me, the galaxy looks weirdly blue and the amount of nebula in the sky is just a little to much in my opinion, though now that I think about it this could be a young galaxy and nave a lot of hot blue stars and as a result, many nebula.

Still looks off to me though :/

I would tint it differently, so it looks more like the pastel colors seen of a typical real-life galaxy, i.e. also more like the colors in the original game. Should be easy to mod, though, as others have pointed out :) Nonetheless, definitely looks more realistic insofar as the details go - the KSP1 background looks kinda cheaply airbrushed, though still far from shabby. Though of course, in its favor, we could also explain that in-universe as an abundance of the green material that forms Jool. But still, I like the KSP1 colors better I suppose.

Edited by shimmy00

6 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Make the galactic center larger and darker, then it would be perfect in my eyes.

Also, it shouldn't be visible during daytime at all, only during night alongside the rest of the stars.

the center should be significantly brighter than the rest and brightness can be high but I agree not whole much brighter things are on screen. For all we know Kerbin is closer to its galactic core than we are meaning it could even be much brighter

a75tk52ze8u91.jpg

5 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

the center should be significantly brighter than the rest and brightness can be high but I agree not whole much brighter things are on screen. For all we know Kerbin is closer to its galactic core than we are meaning it could even be much brighter

a75tk52ze8u91.jpg

Fair enough, but only in the case that the stars should be visible to begin with; having the galactic center during daytime makes little sense.

That being said, I hope there's proper lighting on the spacecraft from the galactic center in the middle of interstellar space.

Or maybe outside of a different galaxy? Since the galactic center seems small, the play space might be a cluster of stars that is floating far away from the actual galaxy. Although, we should then see the outer arms, because that pattern of light and dark isn’t really present in elliptical galaxies (correct me), and this doesn’t look like an irregular galaxy. 

9 hours ago, t_v said:

Or maybe outside of a different galaxy? Since the galactic center seems small, the play space might be a cluster of stars that is floating far away from the actual galaxy. Although, we should then see the outer arms, because that pattern of light and dark isn’t really present in elliptical galaxies (correct me), and this doesn’t look like an irregular galaxy. 

elliptical galaxies are diffusely lit without much structure to be found in them, kind of like oblong glowing space orbs. The dark bands found along the galaxies structure signify molecular dust or unionized hydrogen/helium structures absorbing light from the background galactic core as would be expected from living in the outer arms of a bar/spiral galaxy as is similar to our own experience

I do tend to agree that the KSP 2 skybox is too colorful, if I'm being honest. That's just an opinion though. I happen to think that the KSP 1 skybox is too bright and colorful, too. Not even thinking about realism, it's more an artistic/aesthetic thing for me.

When I mod KSP, I try to aim for a black and infinitely speckled background as best I can. I like to be visually reminded of the alienness and desolation that comes with being in deep space, and darker skyboxes serve that purpose well for me. I want to be reminded that, aside from the celestial bodies, there's truly pure nothingness extending outwards in all directions forever around my ship. A loud skybox feels closed in and small compared to the expansiveness of a quiet and starry one. For some examples, here's Pood's Deep Star Map:

qLAEumE.jpg

tKisHQY.jpg

bUR9ShW.jpg