Weird black effect when Anti-aliasing is on

Build ID: 03173
KSP Version: 1.12.3
Mods / Add-Ons: All Stock
This is a clean installation.

What Happens: Changing scenes (main menu, KSC, Settings, VAB, etc) leaves weird black effect (see screenshots). Effect goes away once scene is loaded, and only happens when Anti-Aliasing is on.

Steps to Replicate:
1) Launch KSP;
2) Go to settings;
3) Enable anti-aliasing;
4) Click accept.

Result:
Black/shadow effect on objects when changing scenes.

Fixes/Workarounds:
Turning off anti-aliasing

Screenshots
KSP.log
player.log (was too long for pastebin)
DxDiag.txt

10 hours ago, Velken said:

they are already latest

Hello, i found two possible ''solutions'' that might help.

1)Turn anti aliasing on and then turn off Highlight FX and Part Highlighter Enabled in Flight and see if that fixes it,
At least if that works you will have anti aliasing and you will just lose the highlighting of the parts your cursor is on.

2)I read something about G Sync fighting V Sync might cause that so turning off Vsync might help as well.

Good luck!!!

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

Hello, i found two possible ''solutions'' that might help.

1)Turn anti aliasing on and then turn off Highlight FX and Part Highlighter Enabled in Flight and see if that fixes it,
At least if that works you will have anti aliasing and you will just lose the highlighting of the parts your cursor is on.

2)I read something about G Sync fighting V Sync might cause that so turning off Vsync might help as well.

Good luck!!!

Turned them off, still didn't work
Only turning off Anti-aliasing "fixes" the bug

48 minutes ago, Velken said:

Turned them off, still didn't work
Only turning off Anti-aliasing "fixes" the bug

When you are in an active flight and not in main menu and you hit escape->Settings are they really turned off? cause sometimes the main menu wont save the settings.

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

When you are in an active flight and not in main menu and you hit escape->Settings are they really turned off? cause sometimes the main menu wont save the settings.

Checkd in an active flight, and they are really turned off

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Velken said:

Still having this issue and I would love to be able to use AA.
I've tried completely uinstalling and re-installing :cry:

Here are couple ideas...good luck...first step backup saves

--Try different graphic drivers version, hopefully newer have released or older ones(I heard one of the new nvidia drivers had problems)

--Disable Steam Cloud Saving for Kerbal and Verify Files, see if that fixes it, or even a clean install AFTER disabling cloud saving.(Cloud Saving can keep bringing back bugs sometimes)

--Not really a solution but maybe you could try Scatterer its a graphical mod that could solve what you going through.

--Did you explore the v-sync/g-sync problems if you have it ofcourse....turn vsync off

--Lastly give this a try, its a fix for shadows flickering, a different bug but who knows it might help...

Open with notepad the settings.cfg file(main game's install folder) and change the values below

SHADOWS_FLIGHT_PROJECTION = 0
SHADOWS_KSC_PROJECTION = 0
SHADOWS_TRACKING_PROJECTION = 0
SHADOWS_EDITORS_PROJECTION = 0
SHADOWS_MAIN_PROJECTION = 0
SHADOWS_DEFAULT_PROJECTION = 0

To:

SHADOWS_FLIGHT_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_KSC_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_TRACKING_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_EDITORS_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_MAIN_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_DEFAULT_PROJECTION = 1

Edited by Serenity

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the old thread but I found a solution for this on my pc.

If you're using an Nvidia card with Geforce Experience, it's possible that it's automatically enabled Muli-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA). MFAA is essentially MSAA but sampling from multiple frames instead of the single frame to improve performance and quality, this has the side effect of introducing ghosting at low framerates, causing the weird effect on loading screens.

To fix it, all you need to do is open your Nvidia Control Panel and go to Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings, from there find KSP (you might have to manually add it) and turn MFAA off. When you next open the game you should be able to use anti-aliasing without any ghosting.

image.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.