Marketing for KSP 2

ChubbyCat

56 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

i play it. UAD, 800 hours

huge storm of issues, and it seems that after release there wont be much support with how updates/beta is going

things like multiplayer, aircraft carriers, an option to remove the darn subs because of how absolutely unbalanced they are in the game and ZERO action make it better, etc etc will not be added due to not wanting that "artistic direction"

ultimate dreadnought has alot of downloads but not alot of returning players...

but thats another game... and guess what, i didn't find it by an ad, i watched "ship games to play 202X" not an ad.

Well  let me put this way, I have over 700 games in my steam account. Not a single one I ever saw ANY  ADD at all. Really ZERO.  Gamers most find  about games in   content creators channels,  not in adds.

5 minutes ago, tstein said:

Well  let me put this way, I have over 700 games in my steam account. Not a single one I ever saw ANY  ADD at all. Really ZERO.  Gamers most find  about games in   content creators channels,  not in adds.

yeah pretty much how it boiled down to, not ads, but CC and videos..

Just now, zeekzeek22 said:

Wait isn't paying a content creator to do a paid advertisement...an ad?

Yes, but the Youtubers who will review the early copies of KSP 2 will not get paid to do a paid advertisement. They are reviewing the game free of charge. 

13 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Yes, but the Youtubers who will review the early copies of KSP 2 will not get paid to do a paid advertisement. They are reviewing the game free of charge. 

Stupid comment of mine deleted

Edited by darthgently

Just now, darthgently said:

It is a mutual relationship.  The reviewers get somewhat exclusive access to content that drives their channel.  A good review is not an advertisement if it takes a critical eye on the product and doesn't pull punches. 

Are you an attorney or union boss representing YouTubers at their request?  I might not be understanding your involvement in the situation properly or whether the reviewers feel like victims, or you just think they should feel like victims.  Not trying to be snarky, just getting to the heat of the matter

I'm neither. Just replying to the comment. 

And yes, it is mutual. The youtubers get a free game, and the devs get free exposure. 

Edited by GoldForest

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

And yes, it is mutual. The youtubers get a free game, and the devs get free exposure. 

Yeah, I fired that off without catching up on thread,   so bad context and stupid reply on my part.  Mea culpa

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

The benefit for the youtubers is bigger than that; they're likely to get a boatload of views which they may or may not monetize, increase overall viewership of their channel and possible get more subscribers. And neither YT'ers r IG benefits from a video made by what the audience could regard a corporate shill, so for both sides it's in their interest to keeping it unpaid by IG. Consider this: what has more value: someone like Scott Manley or Matt Lownes saying that the game exceeds all expectations, or PC Gamer saying so? I know who I trust more.

Interview with Ara Joseffson, Senior Marketing Manager at Private Division for KSP2.

- motivation for EA is also that a lot of players have not explored beyond the Mun in KSP1;

- lore confirmed (yay!)

- interview was recorded while KSP1 was free on Epic (before January 12th)

- elements of VAB info mods (probably like Engineer) have been added to the user interface, there will also be contextual information on mouse hover

- the game will be as/more challenging as KSP1, but will have more useful information tools (I hope for electrical and antennas too)

- there will be more than 2 extra star systems;

- there will be more collaborations with space agencies and companies (also by using the colony building system for prototyping)

- in multiplayer players will be able to (informally) assign building roles (Nate also mentioned this)

- (mp) we will not be limited by just controlling a kerbal - we will be able to do our own stuff anywhere the agency has reached (makes sense)

Edited by Vl3d

Great video, yes, it's 45 minutes of talking heads but there's a lot in there to digest—highly recommended to watch. Interesting that Ara is a player of KSP and is very knowledgeable about its physics. Also interesting how much emphasis is put on community, feedback and how it ties in with the roadmap.

Ah, the trailer shown was slightly different from the original one, which makes sense. They removed the Star Theory logo (but didn't add an Intercept Games one except for at the end screen?) and the "Lithobreaking near you in 2020" (Why not changed to 2023?) 

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

More star systems after 1.0.

The pandemic slowed down development significantly.

There was something else I already forgot.

- Ara was out of focus on camera.

- early access now for ksp was partly because of what happened in KSP 1 so no interstellar in

part one of early access. But it’s part of the roadmap to KSP 1, 

12 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Interview with Ara Joseffson

I am so glad YouTube has a fast forward function.  There is a ton of info - but what a horrible interview.  The Host needs to go back and edit out 95% of his blathering nonsense and edit in the question Ara answered. 

After the first segment I found myself FF'ing every time that dude started bobbing his head and only watched the parts where he finally allowed Ara to talk. 

Still - good stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Really.. where's the marketing?

Considering a lot of streamers are complaining openly that the  EA first moment will have  too few features, it might be  wise to not market up  much now.  I think it might change when we get to interstellar stuff or Colonies.

14 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

not gonna be rude

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 7 - Recording Rockets (2 weeks ago) 340K Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 6 - Early Access (3 months ago) 1.1 million Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2 Timing Update (8 months ago) 368K Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel (9 months ago) 856k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 4 - Celestial Architecting (1 year ago) 612k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 3 - Next Gen Astronauts (1 year ago) 557k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 2 – The Kerbals (2 years ago) 692k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1.5 - Work From Home Developer Update (2 years ago) 249k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1 - Next Gen Tech (2 years ago) 1.2 million Views.

average viewing per ep in total 668k views

i really doubt that they NEED alot of marketing, as i said before, the player base is there marketing, and these are just from official KSP who knows how many other non official ksp videos are out there that has showed ksp 2 to people

and on avg you can see at least 600k people are looking at this games development, and the only ones that did poorly was the "Work from Home" and "Timing Update"

other than that its close to 600k each time if not over.

Also, according to a german gaming news site it was wishlisted by 140k people. Which makes it the second most wishlisted game coming out in february, only topped by Hogwarts Legacy. 

Looking at the current player numbers on steam that's impressive.

9 minutes ago, Stephensan said:
  • Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 7 - Recording Rockets (2 weeks ago) 340K Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 6 - Early Access (3 months ago) 1.1 million Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2 Timing Update (8 months ago) 368K Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel (9 months ago) 856k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 4 - Celestial Architecting (1 year ago) 612k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 3 - Next Gen Astronauts (1 year ago) 557k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 2 – The Kerbals (2 years ago) 692k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1.5 - Work From Home Developer Update (2 years ago) 249k Views

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1 - Next Gen Tech (2 years ago) 1.2 million Views.

average viewing per ep in total 668k views

i really doubt that they NEED alot of marketing, as i said before, the player base is there marketing, and these are just from official KSP who knows how many other non official ksp videos are out there that has showed ksp 2 to people

and on avg you can see at least 600k people are looking at this games development, and the only ones that did poorly was the "Work from Home" and "Timing Update"

other than that its close to 600k each time if not over.

Those are low numbers.

Edited by Vl3d

40 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Every video they put out, every picture they post on social media, every interview Nate Simpson has with game journalists, that is all marketing. 

You don't need to put out a 2-to-3-minute trailer and have it broadcasted on TV, Ad Banners, YouTube Ads, whatever, for it to be marketing. 

Hell, people telling their friends about KSP 2 is technically a form of marketing. 

They have been marketing it this whole time, just not heavily, which I think is the right way. You do not want to go heavy on marketing until you've got a more finished product. 

1 minute ago, Vl3d said:

Those are low numbers.

No. They really aren't. Considering most videos on Youtube barely break 100K. 

Edited by GoldForest

29 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Don't forget, marketing is more than advertising. In some ways, advertising is like that guy from Seinfeld who's honking at women in traffic — no imagination to get attention any other way. Marketing involves a lot more:

• Know your customers
  • Know what your customers want
  • Engage with those customers
  • Make sure those customers know what you have to offer

Advertising is a very expensive, one—way buckshot approach to achieve that. In some cases it's the right way, in other cases it's not. But any dollar spent on paid advertising cannot be paid for something else, so it's only going to happen when it's expected to have an effect.

• KSP getting attention at electronic gaming shows? Marketing
  • KSP being mentioned and getting articlaes in (online) game magazines? Marketing
  • KSP social media activity, informing you of videos and sneak peeks? Marketing
  • The production of screenshots and videos (dev diaries, product updates)? Marketing

Sofar I've seen tons and tons of marketing

Just now, Stephensan said:

They need the marketing and they are seriously marketing it. The videos are marketing and the number of views shows it's pretty successful. It's just not advertising.