Strange wing G-force destruction in stable level flight

Hello All, I'm running a decently modded KSP install and its been running fine so far. I have, however, run into an odd issue with aircraft. I have a design that works just fine and flies perfectly, but during stable, level flight the wings will just randomly explode. Examining the F3 log states that the wings broke apart due to g-forces, exceeded g-force tolerance. This is weird as they aren't experiencing any undue g's at the time. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to be happening consistently during a mission where I'm flying to the south pole and start decelerating, but I can't quite pin down the inciting factor that destroys the wings.  Strangely, its also exploding with the Part G-force Limits difficulty setting unticked. Relevant chunks of the log file don't seem to indicate much:

tailfin Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.1 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

tailfin Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.1 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

deltaWing Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.1 

deltaWing Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.1 

Here is a link to the entire log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F0iTp_EWyEEKGZ2Zru_grRQzNXDjYorQ/view?usp=sharing

The ship is entirely stock, I think; here's a link to the .craft, .loadmeta, screenshots, modlist and video of the incident https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MPJ7zHo6hhzX6KRI9WfpysRrpi0TVzYy?usp=sharing

the explosion consistently reproduces on quickload after a few seconds no matter the craft's attitude/thrust/velocity etc. I'll continue experimenting a bit to see if I can narrow down a reproducible sequence.

After some additional testing, it seems to be somehow tied to time? I tried rebuilding virtually the same craft and it still occurs. After about 15 minutes I consistently get the explosion. Here are some pics in the SPH

pM1DO7Z.jpg

WKY1VgF.jpgGbvU6D2.jpg

Edited by csunday95
added some context

nope, no RTG. The recent planes I've tested have been completely different designs with just plane stuff, no extra parts in case they were causing it. I have been testing with MechJeb autopilot to keep level flight for a while, but I can't imagine that would matter too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ran into the same issue and I guess it's related to "deadly reentry", at least I was able to prevent the wings on my plane from exploding by uninstalling it. Not quite sure yet how a proper fix would look like or if this is some kind of intended behavior, but I'm going to contact the mod creator about it :)

I replied to @4x4cheesecake and DRE is a definite possibility. I’m looking into it but it’s going to be very slow going because I am browsing the code on github on an iPhone which is all I can do for the foreseeable future. 

the TL;DR is that you would have to be high supersonic with wings that aren’t thermally protected. I don’t think you’re experiencing an actual bug other than lack of feedback that the wings are sustaining damage. 

look at the wings PAW. It should tell you they are damaged. An engineer can repair the damage. I don’t recall if I made that require repair parts or not. The damage is in levels and the higher the damage the higher the skill required. 

edit: the way it’s coded is that tolerances are degraded commiserate with damage level. The greater the damage, the less resistant the part has to withstand forces. It’s actually supposed to fall off before destruction but that never worked right

Something else occurred to me. Those wings might have TPS upgrades. If you’re playing career, check for upgrades and research/purchase them. 

if you’re playing sandbox, go into stock settings for that save and make sure upgrades are turned on. They are off by default. If the wings DONT have a TPS upgrade then that should be considered an oversight on my part. 

Edited by Starwaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.