About coloring parts.

Coo

I noticed that in the video, for part coloring, there are only 2 options: base color and accent color. Does this mean that we cannot place customized stickers or stripes and other graphics on parts?

image.png

If this is the case, I strongly recommend taking this feature one step further, at least allowing us to insert pictures to customize our spaceship.

Edited by Coo

You can already do this to a limit extent using flag parts, but a dedicated decal system would be great.

Think about all those paintings that are on the sides of old military planes.

40E7D52D00000578-4551672-The_incredible_

Nose_art_3.jpg

I can imagine the paintings of waifus that would show up on war plane replicas if KSP2 had this feature

Yes. It made them stand out as special to their pilots and crew.

I think it would be great to be able to personalise your ships and make them unique.

Edited by ColdJ

I'm fine with the current system. There's a lot you can get done with just transparent flags and two colors. My current plan is to do up some kind of a mothership where every tank looks like it's covered head to toe in the good stuff.

71Vw05ww5+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

6 minutes ago, Wubslin said:

I'm fine with the current system. There's a lot you can get done with just transparent flags and two colors. My current plan is to do up some kind of a mothership where every tank looks like it's covered head to toe in the good stuff.

71Vw05ww5+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Another problem with relying on an abundance of flags like your example is performance issues. Rendering the decal directly to the surface with the rest of the texture is way better than re-rendering extra polys.

4 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Rendering the decal directly to the surface with the rest of the texture is way better than re-rendering extra polys.

Conformal Decals mod already does this. It still baffles me why Squad decided to go for a lazy flag-part "solution".

25 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Conformal Decals mod already does this. It still baffles me why Squad decided to go for a lazy flag-part "solution".

Probably easier to implement, and it has more flexibility as you can put the flag there you want. Downside is that you can not put it on all surfaces like nose of an airplane, just flat or tanks and worse performance.

24 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Probably easier to implement, and it has more flexibility as you can put the flag there you want. Downside is that you can not put it on all surfaces like nose of an airplane, just flat or tanks and worse performance.

Conformal Decals was flexible, the stock implementation is just tacky. Literally just a picture on top of a generic part. Having to faff around with different scales and transformations to make it look right on the part it's on, not fun.

1 hour ago, intelliCom said:

Another problem with relying on an abundance of flags like your example is performance issues. Rendering the decal directly to the surface with the rest of the texture is way better than re-rendering extra polys.

Other than the simple mission flag, the only other "decal" feature I've really wanted is a simple way to designate  in the editor, or even in flight via Eva construction, section(s) of the hull that the ship name would be rendered onto automatically. I don't even care if I get to select the font as long as the default is neutral enough. But not having to place each letter with a decal would be nice

Edited by darthgently