Is water wet?

Aliquido

19 minutes ago, Ryaja said:

unless it is a single molecule

but is that molecule wet?

It isn't exactly covered with a liquid, but it may be soaked... googling the definition of soaked just gives an unhelpful loop saying that a soaked thing is wet.

If a single molecule of water is not wet, then what about 2 molecules of water? I mean, if I had a drop of water on me I wouldn't say I was wet. Somewhere between 1 drop and being submerged in water is when I would become wet, and similarly somewhere between 1 molecule and an ocean, you could say that water would be wet.

It's like the "how many rocks are in a pile of rocks?" If you have a pile of rocks, and remove a rock, it's still a pile. Until some point that pile of rocks vanishes and becomes just some rocks.

Many conundrums here.

The 'Water is wet because molecules on molecules is water soaking a molecule' and it's argument of 'somewhere the water goes from "drops on a molecule" to "wet molecule" ' sounds like the very funny concept me and my friends call the puddle limit. There is point where either a puddle is unable to continue to sustain itself and it balancing out to becoming a minor body of water. Like, at some depth of a pit you can fill it up and it will stay a body of water, but at any depth below that it will not sustain itself.

On 11/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, Ryaja said:

The dictionary definition of wet is: Covered or soaked with a liquid, such as water. so theoretically since water is covered in water it is wet, unless it is a single molecule.

So now lava is wet? my life has been a lie after all...

• 2 months later...

Consider this, “wet” is a perspective, we can only tell if something is wet if we can observe evidence of such, but we can only argue either point of wet or non-wet about water because we can’t determine, and therefore since our ape brains can not immediately determine, we have to get into abstract thought. Therefore water is neither wet nor dry, as the typical properties of wetness can not be observed nor applied.

Edited by SSTO Crasher

On 11/2/2022 at 8:39 PM, Ryaja said:

Yes, it is so is any liquid 

Oil is not wet. Its why deep frying is a dry cooking method. Likewise as i said, water wets but it isnt wet. More precisely:

Why can't water be wet?

Since the word wet is defined as being saturated with a substance, it is impossible for water to be wet. Water can saturate things and can also be saturated by other substances, but it is impossible for it to be wet.

• 1 month later...

In broad terms, state of being wet means containing adhering liquid. Not "molecules of a substance that is liquid at standard conditions", but actual liquid material, otherwise wet would be synonymous with moist and it isn't.

It doesn't have to be water, either. Mercury will wet gold, but it won't wet glass.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.