Do the clouds in KSP2 look anything like this

Anth

Yep, here we go. From what I've seen, the clouds in KSP 2 are technically on par with these clouds - just with a different configuration. There is a high degree of transparency in the clouds in KSP 2, but this can be toned down to get the same effect. the sun's illumination of these clouds appears to be in both shots. The cloud shapes are also a matter of configuration, and KSP 2 so far has shown much more wispy clouds than EVE, which have use both high in the atmosphere and low to the ground as fog. Overall, the only technical feature that isn't an artistic decision that I have seen in EVE and not in KSP 2 is cloud shadows, but beyond that, the only differences are in design. 

These look great! But I think KSP2's clouds also look great. I would love thought to see some more diversity in cloud types, feathery cirrus clouds and sweeping lenticulars. Im sure there will be improvements as time goes on. 

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Here we go again with comparisons

Of course.

4 hours ago, t_v said:

Yep, here we go. From what I've seen, the clouds in KSP 2 are technically on par with these clouds - just with a different configuration. There is a high degree of transparency in the clouds in KSP 2, but this can be toned down to get the same effect. the sun's illumination of these clouds appears to be in both shots. The cloud shapes are also a matter of configuration, and KSP 2 so far has shown much more wispy clouds than EVE, which have use both high in the atmosphere and low to the ground as fog. Overall, the only technical feature that isn't an artistic decision that I have seen in EVE and not in KSP 2 is cloud shadows, but beyond that, the only differences are in design. 

Its the sun through the clouds like in the video that I don't think I have seen in KSP2 videos.

I saw dense cloud in one of the KSP2 videos but it was well above the surface and another that the rocket passed through clouds that weren't interacting with the sun like that.

4 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

These look great! But I think KSP2's clouds also look great. I would love thought to see some more diversity in cloud types, feathery cirrus clouds and sweeping lenticulars. Im sure there will be improvements as time goes on. 

Agreed. Its a progression of development, incremental changes in the direction of what they want the end product to look like which only some of what we have seen might be considered finished.

I seems to me the even if one still likes some non-stock clouds one will still have the mod option and it will run better in KSP2 than in KSP1.   

Being an avid real world weather watcher I'm acutely aware of the relationship between visible cloud formations and weather conditions so no matter how pretty the clouds get, without appropriate wind and rain and snow, especially wind, it will seem odd and incomplete to me.  I will still have fun,  of course 

31 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

very nice clouds, hope for weather also

Weather is hard computationally if "realistic", but I'm hoping it can at least be approximated to a single 3D wind vector  in the locale of the active vessel and appropriately matched to cloud formations and altitude.  I'm not realistically expecting even a mod to apply multiple wind vectors at different altitudes along the length a tall rocket for example (though that would be very cool and a very real real world phenom)

Edited by darthgently

10 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I'm hoping it can at least be approximated to a single 3D wind vector  in the locale of the active vessel and appropriately matched to cloud formations and altitude

And visual weather effects like rain, snow, storms etc. Weather effects are as important for immersion and diversity as the terrain.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

qJuvVt5.png

Yeah this is the one from above. No idea how the light passes through the clouds from this perspective. Still amazing looking from above though.

31 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

very nice clouds, hope for weather also

Weather could make for too much complexity but more than that I don't want to be scrubbing launches in KSP2.

6 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Weather could make for too much complexity but more than that I don't want to be scrubbing launches in KSP2.

Well scrubbing is a fairly big part of launching a vehicle in real life; not pretty often I'd say, but often some launches I try to watch end up scrubbed due to weather. It's not super uncommon is what I'm trying to say :D. It would add to the realism, but you could also probably just time skip forward until the weather is gone and be good to go in 5 seconds. Or you could make it fun and launch during terrible weather. I would see it as a big plus to have actually dangerous weather, especially on more hostile planets (like the storms/dust devils on mars IRL). I do agree that it would likely make it all too complex, but it would be an awesome addition to the game I think.

Edited by Derpiesaurus

8 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Weather could make for too much complexity but more than that I don't want to be scrubbing launches in KSP2

That is the beauty of it.  Embrace the kerbalness.  Don't scrub.  Launch anyway.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!  Tally-ho!

21 minutes ago, darthgently said:

That is the beauty of it.  Embrace the kerbalness.  Don't scrub.  Launch anyway.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!  Tally-ho!

Kind of like the old Simcity disasters that could be unleashed on the city? maybe....

1 hour ago, Derpiesaurus said:

Well scrubbing is a fairly big part of launching a vehicle in real life; not pretty often I'd say, but often some launches I try to watch end up scrubbed due to weather. It's not super uncommon is what I'm trying to say :D. It would add to the realism, but you could also probably just time skip forward until the weather is gone and be good to go in 5 seconds. Or you could make it fun and launch during terrible weather. I would see it as a big plus to have actually dangerous weather, especially on more hostile planets (like the storms/dust devils on mars IRL). I do agree that it would likely make it all too complex, but it would be an awesome addition to the game I think.

In real life of course.  in KSP2 or KSP1 I would rather launch whenever I want though.

8 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

In real life of course.  in KSP2 or KSP1 I would rather launch whenever I want though

Well you could timewarp.  Or put on moar boosters and launch anyway.  Punch through that weather!  Fire and rain!  Do not go meekly back to the VAB out of sight!  Rage with thundering velocity against that which would delay your flight!

57 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Well you could timewarp.  Or put on moar boosters and launch anyway.  Punch through that weather!  Fire and rain!  Do not go meekly back to the VAB out of sight!  Rage with thundering velocity against that which would delay your flight!

True I guess. Launch into space before the transfer window when the weather is better.

23 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Agreed. Its a progression of development, incremental changes in the direction of what they want the end product to look like which only some of what we have seen might be considered finished.

Much as I loved the Jool descent vid I feel like thats just the space for sweeping yellow/blue/green derechos several kilometers high. Things that just blow your mind. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Much as I loved the Jool descent vid I feel like thats just the space for sweeping yellow/blue/green derechos several kilometers high. Things that just blow your mind. 

I wonder what it looks like deeper in

8 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

One should be able to drop an asteroid suborbital into Jool and watch it impact like the vid (if a sequence of images that slow is a vid really) from Voyager 1 when Shoemaker-Levy hit Jupiter in '94

Edited by darthgently

On 10/31/2022 at 6:00 PM, Pthigrivi said:

This...

I know it's being greedy but to have genuine variation in cloud types would be great. Some cumulonimbus clouds with some anvil heads, just seeing the big tower punching up through the sky only to fly through it.

KSP 2 seems to have greater variety in its clouds, but this mod seems to get the lighting down  to a better degree. Wonder how far the devs have pushed it since pre-alpha and can't wait to see what has become of it.

It really amazes me how far mods push this game, it's become so much prettier than it has any right to be... parallax, waterfall, this, astronomers visual pack. Skyrim mods cant put a candle to ksp mods in this regard imo.

• 3 months later...