Kerbal Space Program 1.12.4 Releasing 11-2-2022

Intercept Games

1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Will someone please xplain the "Xcom 2 fiasco" to me?

The launcher for that game just plain sucks, to be blunt. Constantly gets updates that causes problems for the user base such as breaking mod support or breaking things that worked before for no logical reason.

Published by 2K games which has the same parent company (Take Two) that Private Division falls under as well. Given that it doesn’t make any financial or efficiency sense to have people develop multiple launchers for each publisher they will likely be reusing the same code base as the XCOM2 launcher, so hopefully it isn’t a giant pile of garbage. 

Edited by MechBFP

21 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

Patch Notes Change Log:
=================================== v1.12.4 ============================================================
+++ Bugfixes
* Fix Alarm Clock input fields ignoring configured custom day/year lengths.
* Fix Basic Flight tutorial.
* Fix Go For Orbit tutorial.
* Fix Intermediate Construction tutorial.
* Fix Advanced Construction tutorial.
* Fix Sub Orbital tutorial.
* Fix Craft Browser not showing the Hopper in Intermediate Construction tutorial.

Nice to see bugfixes, but i have to say i was honestly hoping for some of the more gamebreaking things being addressed (what i see here are minor nuissances at best, even if they are helpful for new players, not that i think there are that many of which at this stage in the game's lifecycle).  Why not focus on some of the following which make a much bigger difference:

Memory leak, even with no mods this eventually crashes/slows the game to the point that its unlayable without frequent restarts. 

Various krakens, most well known of which which affects me and quite a few other players being the wobbling issue with too many things attached to a single part (without a crapton of struts to stop the wobbling).

Editor symmetry bugs.  Not sure how to reproduce but it happens every once in a while where a craft file references a non-existent part ID and fails to load said craft file without going in and deleting all references to that part.  Also another bug that breaks craft files and results in them "duplicating" themselves once you launch into orbit, go to another vessel, and then enter phys range of the bugged one (does result in some nice fireworks at least but thats not always the desired intention).

Wheels/landing gears STILL bloody sliding down anything but the lightest slopes, not to mention bouncing up with extremely violent force when you drive over Parallax's terrain bumps, (albeit its still a stock issue as the same thing happens when you try and drive over a girder laying on the ground or up a ramp with a small step, rover goes airborne and the thing under the wheel usually explodes).  Honestly, im not even sure what the point was of the wheel physics update, i never saw the old wheels as bad and i dont remember (correct me if im wrong on this) wheels in the older versions being this buggy, slidy and they certainly didnt bounce up like they do now when hitting any sort of bumps lie say running over a girder.  That and perhaps look into the electricity useage (i know this can be edited using part cfgs) as right now a small propeller/ducted fan can accelerate a rather non aerodynamic vehicle to 40m/s using 1/5th the power of 6 wheels which can only accelerate it to 25 m/s (i dont know what physics laws are violated in the universe kerbals are from but i seriously doubt replacing the electric motor in a EV with an airboat engine, even if electrically powered airboat engine, will get you better fuel economy :)).

P1D1e7V.png

Finally, perhaps some optimizations and general performance improvements (would be nice to have 2 600 part count capital ships be able to slug it out with fireworks without the framerate slowing to a crawl (its actually "manageable", but still painfully slow especially if i were to add any more ships to this).  I know KSP is backburner mode, but its kinda sad to see the list of bugfixes being minor annoyances and not gamebreaking things that would improve quality of life for everyone.

1 hour ago, panzer1b said:

Nice to see bugfixes, but i have to say i was honestly hoping for some of the more gamebreaking things being addressed (what i see here are minor nuissances at best, even if they are helpful for new players, not that i think there are that many of which at this stage in the game's lifecycle).  Why not focus on some of the following which make a much bigger difference:

Memory leak, even with no mods this eventually crashes/slows the game to the point that its unlayable without frequent restarts. 

Various krakens, most well known of which which affects me and quite a few other players being the wobbling issue with too many things attached to a single part (without a crapton of struts to stop the wobbling).

Editor symmetry bugs.  Not sure how to reproduce but it happens every once in a while where a craft file references a non-existent part ID and fails to load said craft file without going in and deleting all references to that part.  Also another bug that breaks craft files and results in them "duplicating" themselves once you launch into orbit, go to another vessel, and then enter phys range of the bugged one (does result in some nice fireworks at least but thats not always the desired intention).

Wheels/landing gears STILL bloody sliding down anything but the lightest slopes, not to mention bouncing up with extremely violent force when you drive over Parallax's terrain bumps, (albeit its still a stock issue as the same thing happens when you try and drive over a girder laying on the ground or up a ramp with a small step, rover goes airborne and the thing under the wheel usually explodes).  Honestly, im not even sure what the point was of the wheel physics update, i never saw the old wheels as bad and i dont remember (correct me if im wrong on this) wheels in the older versions being this buggy, slidy and they certainly didnt bounce up like they do now when hitting any sort of bumps lie say running over a girder.  That and perhaps look into the electricity useage (i know this can be edited using part cfgs) as right now a small propeller/ducted fan can accelerate a rather non aerodynamic vehicle to 40m/s using 1/5th the power of 6 wheels which can only accelerate it to 25 m/s (i dont know what physics laws are violated in the universe kerbals are from but i seriously doubt replacing the electric motor in a EV with an airboat engine, even if electrically powered airboat engine, will get you better fuel economy :)).

P1D1e7V.png

Finally, perhaps some optimizations and general performance improvements (would be nice to have 2 600 part count capital ships be able to slug it out with fireworks without the framerate slowing to a crawl (its actually "manageable", but still painfully slow especially if i were to add any more ships to this).  I know KSP is backburner mode, but its kinda sad to see the list of bugfixes being minor annoyances and not gamebreaking things that would improve quality of life for everyone.

KSP Community Fixes mod addresses more than a few memory leaks and is quite solid

On 11/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, Intercept Games said:

New Launcher for KSP on Steam.

I hope this is an optional "feature", I find it entirely a waste to have a launcher for ANY game (regardless of being on Steam or not). There are so many developers/publishers that shove a launcher down out throats in order to cram it full of ads, only to serve 1 or 2 games. Unless you have more than 10 games by the same developer, a launcher is pointless. Steam IS a launcher, it has news, discussions, keeps the game updated, and more. 

Edited by Red3Tango
typo

3 hours ago, darthgently said:

KSP Community Fixes mod addresses more than a few memory leaks and is quite solid

I'll give these a try, didnt know they fixed performance aspects (thought it was just QoL things in that modpack).  I'll see how much this affects my massively overkill warships...

19 minutes ago, pmborg said:

The new launcher is out on steam but not the new release yet: Still 1.12.3

8j0ofod.png

You are correct. I just happened to take a quick at it and incorrectly assumed the patch was also pushed out at the same time.

Apparently not... how odd.

You can ignore the new launcher just by launching the KSP_x64.exe directly, so that is great. Thank you for not forcing it to launch with the main exe as well.

Confirmed the basic flight tutorial is no longer a death trap as well. ;)

Steam really needs to add a clear indicator of whether a game requires a launcher or not and enforce some kind or rules to get rid of them. Why am I buying my games on Steam if each one installs its own launcher anyway? Why in the world does a game like KSP need to add a REQUIRED launcher at this point in its life?

I encourage anyone that owns KSP on Steam to leave a negative review letting Private Division and Valve know how you feel about launchers.

Edited by mostlydave

8 minutes ago, mostlydave said:

Steam really needs to add a clear indicator of whether a game requires a launcher or not and enforce some kind or rules to get rid of them. Why am I buying my games on Steam if each one installs its own launcher anyway? Why in the world does a game like KSP need to add a REQUIRED launcher at this point in its life?

I encourage anyone that owns KSP on Steam to leave a negative review letting Private Division and Valve know how you feel about launchers.

The launcher can be bypassed by simply launching the game, as @MechBFP has mentioned. I don’t use Steam and the game can be launched normal with or without the launcher. As for why it is there, the launcher represents an extra piece of software that will make it easier to manage the game, access resources, and give specific feedback on KSP 2. Steam handles some of those things but not all of them, hence the usefulness of dedicated software for those purposes.