Kerbal Space Program 1.12.4 Releasing 11-2-2022

Intercept Games

22 minutes ago, mostlydave said:

I encourage anyone that owns KSP on Steam to leave a negative review letting Private Division and Valve know how you feel about launchers.

I encourage everyone to keep that to themselves. The review you propose has nothing to do with the game and shouldn't exist.

52 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I encourage everyone to keep that to themselves. The review you propose has nothing to do with the game and shouldn't exist.

I disagree, the launcher is part of the game, and the game experience. If this were about something Private Division did outside of the game, then I would agree with you.

It seems this launcher might not be as bad as like the one for Bioshock for example, where it doesn't work on the Steam Deck, but they have been known to interfere with the game experience, preventing users from playing. If they to want to shove ads down our throat, I'd rather they be done in-game, like Space Engineers.

Launching the game outside of Steam also breaks integration, such as with Steam Controller/Deck input.

If an update on Steam breaks the ability for me to launch the game on my platform, then I hope there's reviews to tell me that.

As it is, I was already on the fence about KSP2, but it having a launcher makes the decision easy for me: I won't be buying it.

Yes, I hate them that much.

Edited by Phoenix84

44 minutes ago, Phoenix84 said:

I disagree, the launcher is part of the game, and the game experience. If this were about something Private Division did outside of the game, then I would agree with you.

It seems this launcher might not be as bad as like the one for Bioshock for example, where it doesn't work on the Steam Deck, but they have been known to interfere with the game experience, preventing users from playing. If they to want to shove ads down our throat, I'd rather they be done in-game, like Space Engineers.

Launching the game outside of Steam also breaks integration, such as with Steam Controller/Deck input.

If an update on Steam breaks the ability for me to launch the game on my platform, then I hope there's reviews to tell me that.

As it is, I was already on the fence about KSP2, but it having a launcher makes the decision easy for me: I won't be buying it.

Yes if the launcher causes problems with actually being able to play the game, then absolutely I think that would be an appropriate reason for a negative review.

Someone giving a negative review just because they don't like launchers in general is not appropriate.

43 minutes ago, Phoenix84 said:

From the screenshot posted, it looks just like a re-skin of the 2K launcher that has been added to most of their games (XCOM, Civ VI, BioShock, etc.).  I have a lot of 2K games I can no longer play unless there is a way to bypass the launcher, because the launcher just crashes.  I have vowed not to buy another 2K game until it is removed.  Sadly, this now includes KSP2, unless it is released on GOG, where they don't allow these extra launchers, then I will not be buying it.

10 minutes ago, NJC2 said:

From the screenshot posted, it looks just like a re-skin of the 2K launcher that has been added to most of their games (XCOM, Civ VI, BioShock, etc.).  I have a lot of 2K games I can no longer play unless there is a way to bypass the launcher, because the launcher just crashes.  I have vowed not to buy another 2K game until it is removed.  Sadly, this now includes KSP2, unless it is released on GOG, where they don't allow these extra launchers, then I will not be buying it.

I was not aware GOG didn't allow them.

I wish Steam would ban them. Hopefully the Steam Deck gives Valve more power to refuse that garbage.

I started buying games on GOG recently due to more freedom. However now that I have a Steam Deck, I've changed my mind, and will prefer to buy from the Steam store wherever possible, because the integration is so much cleaner.

Yes, I know I can install games outside of Steam on the deck, and I do. But they just don't integrate as nicely.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:25 PM, Intercept Games said:

New Launcher for KSP on Steam.
Will serve as a resource for news and updates about KSP & KSP 2 Early Access.
In addition, you will be able to give feedback through the launcher once KSP 2 has been released into Early Access. 

Steam itself is a launcher, has forums and is a source for news, is this really needed or useless bloatware?

15 minutes ago, Multivac said:

Is there an option to disable the launcher? If not, there absolutely needs to be one. Giving more power to the users to decide how they want to run the game is good.

You can still launch directly from the .exe file and completely bypass the launcher.

You misunderstand me. I am not asking for a work-around. I am saying there should be an option within the launcher and/or the game itself to keep the launcher from popping up every time you start the game.

I don't launch directly from the .exe, I launch from Steam. And, in fact, a work-around exists for Steam as well, by editing the game's launch options. But no-one should have to use a work-around, regardless of how they launch the game. There should be a button, or a check box, within the KSP interface itself.

And, in fact, there is! There's been a check mark in the game's settings, once you launch KSP, for ages that lets you disable the launcher. I already had it set to disable the launcher since ages ago, which is why I didn't remember it in my previous post. But this setting doesn't seem to be having an effect on this new launcher, near as I can tell. This is a problem.

11 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I hope this launcher isn't like Xcom 2's and is a litte more "Kerbal"

So... more kerbal in that it works?

I go straight to the game direct without steam as on my old laptop (prior to 7 years ago) when I first got the game I had to maximise the RAM available.  So EVERYTHING got switched off.   Less of an issue since then, but old habits die hard. 

8 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

So... more kerbal in that it works?

I go straight to the game direct without steam as on my old laptop (prior to 7 years ago) when I first got the game I had to maximise the RAM available.  So EVERYTHING got switched off.   Less of an issue since then, but old habits die hard. 

I mean it has some of the kerbal charm. I mainly meant the ksp UI style.

I have only one single gripe with the launcher.

It stays open. Not a single launcher in my library does that, no matter if it's from Paradox or Minecraft or anything else, they all close when the game starts. This one doesn't let me even close it when the game's open. That is unnecessary.

29 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I have only one single gripe with the launcher.

It stays open. Not a single launcher in my library does that, no matter if it's from Paradox or Minecraft or anything else, they all close when the game starts. This one doesn't let me even close it when the game's open. That is unnecessary.

Agreed, especially when it eats up memory, which for KSP in particular can be precious depending on your setup. While killing it in task manager is possible it is easy to just use a work around to not start it to begin with lol.

Admittedly it appears to use less memory than a single windows explorer window, which is a very good result.

However, it still stays on the taskbar, which, if you use more than one screen, or play in window, can be distracting because it's absolutely 100% pointless icon that just sits there for no reason.

Ayy, out of all possible moves, you add a launcher? Exactly what the game you left broken and abandoned was needing. Good thing you fixed the important stuff:

• Breaking Grounds robotic position bug on quickload -oh wait, you didn't fix that.
  • Clamp-o-tron control point pointing the wrong direction sometimes  -nope, not that either.
  • 1.11 swim bug -Not that one either
  • Procedural part refunds -Still a nope.
  • Docking port rotation being unusable -Nay

And so much more, but no, instead I get to waste my storage and resources on an extra step for launching a game, just so that you can also advertise to me and maybe harvest my data more as well.

5 hours ago, mostlydave said:

Steam really needs to add a clear indicator of whether a game requires a launcher or not and enforce some kind or rules to get rid of them. Why am I buying my games on Steam if each one installs its own launcher anyway? Why in the world does a game like KSP need to add a REQUIRED launcher at this point in its life?

I encourage anyone that owns KSP on Steam to leave a negative review letting Private Division and Valve know how you feel about launchers.

Completely agree. My review was already negative for other matters but I will definitely add this now.

15 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

btw if you're trying to play old version and launch via steam, the steam would attempt to mac version somehow(ksp.app)

I created a post here for that issue. There are two work arounds in there to counter that issue. I think I have another too I can add which does also remove the launcher from startup.

Edited by Anth12