Kerbal Space Program 1.12.4 Releasing 11-2-2022

Intercept Games

On 11/1/2022 at 12:25 PM, Intercept Games said:

Patch notes Graphic.png

Hello Kerbonauts!
We here at mission control are happy to launch patch 1.12.4 on Wednesday November 2nd, 2022 which addresses the long awaited tutorial bug fixes!
We have also squashed an Alarm Clock bug that ignored custom day/year lengths.
As we are dedicating our time and effort to launching KSP2, future patches for KSP will be less prioritized but please continue to let us know about any bugs you encounter. Happy launching and remember your parachutes!

Patch Notes Change Log:
=================================== v1.12.4 ============================================================
+++ Bugfixes
* Fix Alarm Clock input fields ignoring configured custom day/year lengths.
* Fix Basic Flight tutorial.
* Fix Go For Orbit tutorial.
* Fix Intermediate Construction tutorial.
* Fix Advanced Construction tutorial.
* Fix Sub Orbital tutorial.
* Fix Craft Browser not showing the Hopper in Intermediate Construction tutorial.

New Launcher for KSP on Steam.
Will serve as a resource for news and updates about KSP & KSP 2 Early Access.
In addition, you will be able to give feedback through the launcher once KSP 2 has been released into Early Access. 

Are there any Modder's notes?  Apparently there were some changes which are affecting mods

The launcher also crashes for me.  

cZUwqZt.png

I'm fairly sure that the "problem" is that the launcher assumes it has internet access, and crashes when my firewall says no. 

KSP is a single player game which is does not need internet access.  So it's launcher should also be functional enough to launch the game without internet access.

If KSP2 requires internet access to play then it will be a hard pass from me.  I'm not interested in multiplayer KSP and I don't want to spend money on a single player game that could stop working in a couple of years when the publisher decides to turn the servers off.  

@Intercept Games In the meantime I suggest you ask your publisher to fix their launcher so it is at least minimally functional without internet access.  Crashing without being able to launch the game gives a really bad impression to new customers.  (That is true even when there is an easy workaround, as new customers might not know what the problem is, or how to work around it).

Edited by AVaughan

5 hours ago, regex said:

What? I don't play or mod KSP1 anymore, I'm here for the sequel.

Apologies, I was unaware.

Over the years I found you are way better at wording my own thoughts in the english language than myself, that's all.

Was glad to see you on here again the other day, btw. Cheers!

33 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Over the years I found you are way better at wording my own thoughts in the english language than myself, that's all.

If you wanted my thoughts about the launcher, well, I don't think I ever ran the game directly from Steam, I just used it as a delivery service then made a copy of the program directory and launched from the .exe file. Made it easier to install mods and not have anything gripe about it. The launcher has never been a thing for me.

A lot of games have a launcher and I think they're pretty stupid advertising platforms, mostly what I care about is slapping that big "PLAY" button for the game I bought. Overall they're just annoying rather than something I rage over, two clicks instead of one.

If there's a launcher that does something good in regard to clicks, it's Paradox launcher for Cities Skylines. It allows you to simply load last played game, without the need to going through the game menus first. If KSP launcher could do that (and, of course, close itself on game start) it would be beyond amazing, because that would be two clicks to actually start playing.

Edited by The Aziz

Back to my problems:
First of all sorry for my English, I don't speak it and the moderators insisted on the translation, so I hope you will understand...
With the new update, my game is only buggy...
Super long loading, automatic change of resolution in the middle of the game and end of the game at any time!
I had to put back version 1.12.3, nothing to do there!
I reinstalled my mods one by one, still the same problem.
The new launcher is probably related to this problem...
I specify that my game was fixed and never did this to me with 1.12.3 ...
So KSP2 I would not take it! For a patch that was supposed to make the game better, you only made it worse!
Frankly, I'm very disappointed...
Edited by Gargamel
Fixed Formatting.

14 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Remaining bugs? KSP1 has 100s of them

The launcher just takes up hard drive space if you are bypassing it.

And they did fix the tutorials and some stock alarm issues

14 hours ago, Acvila said:

Can i install last version without installing the launcher? I know that i can bypass the launcher, but i don't need another useless launcher installed on my computer. The game is already finished, why are they changing things now? As many said, fix the bugs or do nothing!

Just delete it off your ksp install. Only use the EXE load.

4 hours ago, regex said:

If you wanted my thoughts about the launcher, well, I don't think I ever ran the game directly from Steam, I just used it as a delivery service then made a copy of the program directory and launched from the .exe file. Made it easier to install mods and not have anything gripe about it. The launcher has never been a thing for me.

Same for me, except I bought it direct from Squad(now been migrated to a Private Division account).

Downloading directly your game and your mods yourself and starting the game from the executable means you are in control of what happens to it. It also means if you have something major happen that you already have all the things you need to reinstall, stored on your computer, no need to download it all again.

I have never had an installation caused crash by doing it this way.

Launchers just do whatever a programmer set them to do.

You think for yourself.

12 hours ago, The Aziz said:

If there's a launcher that does something good in regard to clicks, it's Paradox launcher for Cities Skylines. It allows you to simply load last played game, without the need to going through the game menus first. If KSP launcher could do that (and, of course, close itself on game start) it would be beyond amazing, because that would be two clicks to actually start playing.

Agree. While I'm not a fan of launchers, the one for cities skylines is the least annoying. :)

Nobody is forcing you to use the launcher, you can just delete it and run KSP from the .exe instead. And to everyone who put mods into the Steam copy of KSP and is now wondering why it broke when the game updated- this is exactly why you shouldn't put mods into the Steam copy of KSP, but you can still salvage the situation:

1.       Right click KSP in Steam library > browse local files.

2.       Copy KSP/saves/<your save name> and paste that on the desktop.

3.       If you used CKAN to install your mods (and you should!), click File > export modpack and save that to your desktop too. Screenshot your GameData folder with mods installed (even if you use CKAN) so you can check that you’ve reinstalled them all later.

4.       Uninstall all mods from KSP.

5.       Right click KSP in Steam library > properties, disable Steam cloud.

6.       Completely uninstall KSP through Steam.

7.       Reinstall KSP through Steam, right click > Properties > local files > verify integrity of game files. If you want to play a version other than the current release (1.12.4), pick that version in the Betas tab and verify the files once Steam has installed that version.

8.       Run KSP and make sure it loads properly without mods.

9.       Browse local files again, then go up one level (to Steam/steamapps/common) and copy the Kerbal Space Program directory, then paste it where you want to keep it- make sure it’s outside Steam’s folders so it can’t meddle with it in future.

10.   Rename the KSP folder so you know what mods you’re using in it (e.g. 1.10.1 RO/RP-1, 1.12.3 JNSQ), then add this new copy to CKAN and use the modpack created in step 3 to reinstall all your mods; or reinstall them by hand if you don’t use CKAN. Double-check that all files and folders you had in GameData before uninstalling/reinstalling everything are there again, if not then you’re probably missing some mods.

11.   Move your saves from your desktop into your new KSP copy’s saves folder, run KSP, load save. A warning about vessels having missing parts is usually because a mod is missing or wasn’t installed correctly.

You can make as many copies of KSP as you want, have several copies on different versions and with different sets of mods in each- CKAN makes this much easier to keep track of, but it’s still possible to do it all yourself. If you don't want the launcher, delete KSP/PDLauncher and run the game from KSP.exe instead.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

7 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Nobody is forcing you to use the launcher, you can just delete it and run KSP from the .exe instead. And to everyone who put mods into the Steam copy of KSP and is now wondering why it broke when the game updated- this is exactly why you shouldn't put mods into the Steam copy of KSP, but you can still salvage the situation:

1.       Right click KSP in Steam library > browse local files.

2.       Copy KSP/saves/<your save name> and paste that on the desktop.

3.       If you used CKAN to install your mods (and you should!), click File > export modpack and save that to your desktop too. Screenshot your GameData folder with mods installed (even if you use CKAN) so you can check that you’ve reinstalled them all later.

4.       Uninstall all mods from KSP.

5.       Right click KSP in Steam library > properties, disable Steam cloud.

6.       Completely uninstall KSP through Steam.

7.       Reinstall KSP through Steam, right click > Properties > local files > verify integrity of game files. If you want to play a version other than the current release (1.12.4), pick that version in the Betas tab and verify the files once Steam has installed that version.

8.       Run KSP and make sure it loads properly without mods.

9.       Browse local files again, then go up one level (to Steam/steamapps/common) and copy the Kerbal Space Program directory, then paste it where you want to keep it- make sure it’s outside Steam’s folders so it can’t meddle with it in future.

10.   Rename the KSP folder so you know what mods you’re using in it (e.g. 1.10.1 RO/RP-1, 1.12.3 JNSQ), then add this new copy to CKAN and use the modpack created in step 3 to reinstall all your mods; or reinstall them by hand if you don’t use CKAN. Double-check that all files and folders you had in GameData before uninstalling/reinstalling everything are there again, if not then you’re probably missing some mods.

11.   Move your saves from your desktop into your new KSP copy’s saves folder, run KSP, load save. A warning about vessels having missing parts is usually because a mod is missing or wasn’t installed correctly.

You can make as many copies of KSP as you want, have several copies on different versions and with different sets of mods in each- CKAN makes this much easier to keep track of, but it’s still possible to do it all yourself. If you don't want the launcher, delete KSP/PDLauncher and run the game from KSP.exe instead.

Someone pin this.

That's a lot of effort. I've been using mods on steam install and never seen anything breaking, unless something was version locked (solution: revert an update) or the update actually touched a bit of code the mod was referring to, making it incompatible (solution: revert an update or wait for mod update). Hell, some of my mods on ckan have "maximum version" marked as 1.9, and they work.

And in case anyone wondered, mods don't touch game files, nothing gets replaced, so why bother with reinstalling EVERYTHING?

1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

1.12.4 still includes the old launcher in the files...

It's an ignoramus detector.  The initiated ones are aware that it doesn't work. A stranger would keep pressing it.

Edited by kerbiloid

10 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Nobody is forcing you to use the launcher, you can just delete it and run KSP from the .exe instead.

If 2K/Private Division has their way, just give them time.  This is just a re-skinned 2K launcher, and in they've been "fixing" some of these workarounds to force people to use the launcher.

Thanks to this thread here I noticed, that 1.12.4 will cause some mods to break, so I backed up my 1.12.3 install before Steam had a chance to change anything about it. Thanks for the notice. I will not upgrade to 1.12.4 any time soon - maybe never at all. As an advanced player I don't use the tutorials anyway. And more fixes aren't in there, so I really have no intend to change anything about my stable install. Always good to have a backup. I don't want a launcher or stuff like that. KSP is resource hungry enough with all my beloved mods.

Edited by Rakete

6 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Thanks to this thread here I noticed, that 1.12.4 will cause some mods to break, so I backed up my 1.12.3 install before Steam had a chance to change anything about it. Thanks for the notice. I will not upgrade to 1.12.4 any time soon - maybe never at all. As an advanced player I don't use the tutorials anyway. And more fixes aren't in there, so I really have no intend to change anything about my stable install. Always good to have a backup. I don't want a launcher or stuff like that. KSP is resource hungry enough with all my beloved mods.

It won't break most mods.