Kerbal Space Program 1.12.4 Releasing 11-2-2022

Intercept Games

10 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

It won't break most mods. 

I read about slow an laggy gameplay. And as a saying says: Never touch a running system. If you don't need an update, just don't. 

8 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

It won't break most mods. 

Until this moment, 1.12.4 didn't broke anything that wasn't already broke in 1.12.3. The only occurrence of a KrakenStorm I'm aware was due people trying to workaround a misfeature related to PDLauncher in an unfortunate way.

I worths to mention that such misfeature also affected KSP 1.12.3, as the PDLauncher were injected on 1.12.3 installations too.

The problem only affected Windows users - MacOS had the PDLauncher installed, but it wasn't configured on the Steam Launcher. I don't know about Linux yet.

8 hours ago, Rakete said:

I read about slow an laggy gameplay. And as a saying says: Never touch a running system. If you don't need an update, just don't. 

This could be the extra VRAM needed due the PDLauncher being in memory - KSP 1.12.x eats a lot of VRAM, and if the user has a 2 or 3GB GPU card, any graphical program more on memory can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Everything and the kitchen's sink uses VRAM nowadays, from the System's GUI to Browsers - we just can't get enough, as it appears, and games are the ones suffering from the problem the most.

I suggest to anyone having lagging on the gameplay to lower a bit the Texture Settings on the Main Menu's Settings. Until this moment, it solved most of the lagging I had on KSP 1.12.x . The MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU trick also helped a lot - it even made my machine to run cooler with the same load.

Edited by Lisias
tyops, as usulla...

On 11/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, The Aziz said:

I encourage everyone to keep that to themselves. The review you propose has nothing to do with the game and shouldn't exist.

That's funny, that's exactly how I feel about the launcher that was added!

@Anth12

Greeting!
Thank you for your feedback, but I finally solved the problem...
I kept version 1.12.4, reinstalled all my mods manually without Ckan and then used the second launcher in the KSP folder called Ksp-x64.
The game runs as under version 1.12.3
Today you have to be a computer scientist to play a game properly!
Do not budge that I will not buy KSP2 ...
Thanks again for the offer of help!
Good for you "Kerbonauts"!And sorry for my bad english ... 
Edited by Gargamel
Fixed horrible formatting

The launcher issue could be resolved as Paradox does it, aka launchers switches off when you launch the actual game. Why would you need the launcher to stay on when the game runs??? That's a little stupid to me.

As for modded builds, never run an modded build on the main KSP folder to begin with, copy the KSP folder and create a shortcut directly from the .exe.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Three people in my stream are running 1.12.4 with Mechjeb and lots of other mods, for them, Mechjeb is working fine.

Something else is happening

I can test for that in the broken launcher bypass Launch Options for steam

On 11/4/2022 at 2:33 AM, pmborg said:

About mechJeb there isn't any exception just don't appear in GUI.

In my testing the only issue that I currently have with 1.12.4 is some error in the UI  when I have the DLCs installed but that doesn't stop it from running or functioning (I launched a rocket into orbit with mechjeb to test it)

@pmborgHow to make Mechjeb work with 1.12.4:

1. Install Mechjeb 2.14.1
  2. Install ModuleManager.4.2.2

You might be missing the Module Manager. It isn't an obvious dependency on the main thread but without it Mechjeb will fail to work at all.

Edited by Anth12

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Three people in my stream are running 1.12.4 with Mechjeb and lots of other mods, for them, Mechjeb is working fine.

Something else is happening

Hello :) thank you for your feedback, I think that the mystery is solved now, please check next line:

13 hours ago, Anth12 said:

@pmborgHow to make Mechjeb work with 1.12.4:

1. Install Mechjeb 2.14.1
  2. Install ModuleManager.4.2.2

You might be missing the Module Manager. It isn't an obvious dependency on the main thread but without it Mechjeb will fail to work at all.

Hello I installed it with CKAN so strange... but you are right after a re-installation, with the new version CKAN(1.13.2) and it seams that the problem is solved (with the missing Module Manager)

Edited by pmborg

On 11/7/2022 at 12:07 AM, Lisias said:

The MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU trick also helped a lot - it even made my machine to run cooler with the same load

Can you explain this a but more, please? What does it do, how is it to be performed, does ist result is more performance/fps?

On 11/8/2022 at 11:30 AM, Quoniam Kerman said:

The launcher issue could be resolved as Paradox does it, aka launchers switches off when you launch the actual game. Why would you need the launcher to stay on when the game runs??? That's a little stupid to me.

As for modded builds, never run an modded build on the main KSP folder to begin with, copy the KSP folder and create a shortcut directly from the .exe.

People just need to make sure steam is launching from a "short cut" of the EXE rather than the EXE itself in that folder. Or else steam will make the program consider the PD folder as the root folder, which will break some mods.

On 11/7/2022 at 12:07 AM, Lisias said:

This could be the extra VRAM needed due the PDLauncher being in memory - KSP 1.12.x eats a lot of VRAM, and if the user has a 2 or 3GB GPU card, any graphical program more on memory can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Everything and the kitchen's sink uses VRAM nowadays, from the System's GUI to Browsers - we just can't get enough, as it appears, and games are the ones suffering from the problem the most.

Have a gtx 1060 6gb, but also am running loads of visual mods, so the tolerance margins to heavier loads on the graphics are limited - even for me.

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

Can you explain this a but more, please? What does it do, how is it to be performed, does ist result is more performance/fps?

My bad.

See this post for the full story:

but TL;DR, create an environment variable "MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU", set it to 1 and run KSP. On Windows this is pretty messy, but on MacOS and Linux you can use your .bashrc profile file to set it, or just do as I did on this image:

Spoiler

KSP-with-MONO-THREADS-PER-CPU.png

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

Have a gtx 1060 6gb, but also am running loads of visual mods, so the tolerance margins to heavier loads on the graphics are limited - even for me.

You may be interested on this another one, currently (eternal) work in progress:

Of course, closing the PDLauncher after firing up KSP will also help! Use the task switcher, kill it, then go back to the game.

19 hours ago, Lisias said:

My bad.

See this post for the full story:

but TL;DR, create an environment variable "MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU", set it to 1 and run KSP. On Windows this is pretty messy, but on MacOS and Linux you can use your .bashrc profile file to set it, or just do as I did on this image:

Hide contents

KSP-with-MONO-THREADS-PER-CPU.png

You may be interested on this another one, currently (eternal) work in progress:

Of course, closing the PDLauncher after firing up KSP will also help! Use the task switcher, kill it, then go back to the game.

Aaaaalright. We have a nice saying in my native language. Literally translated it would mean "I only understand trainstation." :D  So i didn't get, what to do, to increase the fps

in fact, the cpu is not the bottleneck of my gaming rig, I guess. The i7 9700K does its job quite well with some 32 gigs of ram, but the old 1060 6gig (was carried over due to expensiveness of the rtx series) struggles with e.g. the amount of lightingsources higher than 8. Scatterer and Spectra run surprisingly well, also bigger vessels - but I think ksp could do way more better with multithreading - especially with two complex vessels independently side by side. 

I did not upgrade to 1.12.4 and moved my 1.12.3 install to another folder and directly launch the ksp_x64.exe on windows. Don't need any tutorials anymore. 

2 hours ago, Rakete said:

Aaaaalright. We have a nice saying in my native language. Literally translated it would mean "I only understand trainstation." :D  So i didn't get, what to do, to increase the fps

You see, this is another very nice Use Case that could be handled by PDLauncher if done right - checking for the need of trimming the environment for KSP, without the user needing to understand such shenanigans.

in fact, the cpu is not the bottleneck of my gaming rig, I guess. The i7 9700K does its job quite well with some 32 gigs of ram, but the old 1060 6gig (was carried over due to expensiveness of the rtx series) struggles with e.g. the amount of lightingsources higher than 8. Scatterer and Spectra run surprisingly well, also bigger vessels - but I think ksp could do way more better with multithreading - especially with two complex vessels independently side by side. 

That's the catch - this one is Unity's fault. Unity decided to do something absolutely nasty and stupid while handling some tasks (HID input surely is one of them), and they did it in such a way that the more cores you have, worst become the problem.

By reducing the number of threads per core you reduce the damage Unity is doing. Common Sense would tell you that this would make your KSP run slower, as there will be less threads available to do KSP business, but Unity had screwed up things do badly, but SO BADLY, that by reducing the number of threads per CPU we reduce the damage caused by Unity, and this more than compensate for any benefit multithreading would give us.

My CPU runs 2 or 3ºC cooler, and KSP runs faster on my MacKrap using this stunt (not to mention the whole machine running smoother - I can now watch a Youtube video while playing KSP on my multi-headed setup, something I wasn't able since 1.8.0 when they switched to Unity 2019, when this crap started). Essentially, all gamers using notebooks probably would need to use this (the MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU stunt), if not for any reason than to keep thermals under control, helping to prevent thermal throttle down.

It's interesting to note that other games using Unity 2019 are affected as well, and this stunt is working for them too. This rules out any possibility of being KSP's fault - it's 110% innocent on this one.

I did not upgrade to 1.12.4 and moved my 1.12.3 install to another folder and directly launch the ksp_x64.exe on windows. Don't need any tutorials anymore. 

As far as I could check (pending confirmation), 1.12.4 really only fixed the tutorials (the difference on the download size when switching versions on Steam is only 200K). All the trouble is coming (directly or indirectly) from PDLauncher.

Edited by Lisias
bad grammars. I'm evolving! :P

13 hours ago, Lisias said:

All the trouble is coming (directly or indirectly) from PDLauncher.

That's why i moved the whole folder out of steam and launch the ksp-exe directly. They can keep their launcher for good. Anyway, steam is just a software downloader and payment method for me (avoiding to have several accounts from different stores etc.), and not a gaming hub. I don't even start steam when I want to play steam games. As far as they have no drm, there is no need to load all the steam stuff into my ram and keep the cpu doing steam stuff. - just creating shortcuts tomthe games themselves. Even if i have enough power. I don't need it apart from downloading and updating, so it should not run. Same goes for the new useless launcher. Won't give any millisecond of computing power do useless code. Even if I had a big climate-supercomputer. Simply just no... code that is not running can not crash and cause trouble and doesn't consume extra watts by throtteling up cpu cores. Nope.

I really dislike the tendency to clutter software up with more and more useless stuff. A launcher here, a helper there, a companion app on the phone over there.... it really annoys me. Especially here in KSP's example. How old is the game? It is feature complete, right?! Soooo why add a new unstable third party launcher after so many years. Any launcher is kinda useless. What do they do? They.... display a button to launch the real game-exe ?! Really useless. We need more launchers, that launch launchers, that launch launchers to launch a game... more ads... more security vulnerabilities due to being software that talk to external servers to deliver ads... reaaaally usefull for the customer. Especially in the case of thirdparty stuff over which the devs have absolutely no control.

Sorry, but if KSP2 will be good, it will sell good. If it will be bad, it will sell bad. The constant advertising of products everywhere makes me tend to not buy stuff... forced ads annoy the customer.

13 hours ago, Lisias said:

MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU

How is it done under Windows 10?

Edited by Rakete

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

That's why i moved the whole folder out of steam and launch the ksp-exe directly.

On the bright side, you can do the same.woth 1.12.4, as it doesn't have any performance problems AFAIK (other than the ones 1.12.3 already have).

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

How is it done under Windows 10?

I didn't had time to check it myself,  but I have reports suggesting the same behavior- including better garbage collection. With the CPU having more time to breath, the GC has time to do some deep collection, and you have less memory "leaks".

Edited by Lisias
Grammars... (Sigh)

On 11/2/2022 at 2:05 PM, mostlydave said:

Why in the world does a game like KSP need to add a REQUIRED launcher at this point in its life?

It's probably so they can have KSP and KSP2 in the same place. The Minecraft launcher has done something very similar lately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...