KSSL (KSP Simple Steam Launcher)

R-T-B

This is just a wrapper launcher for Kerbal Space Program steam installs to bypass Take Twos KSP2 oriented launcher. Fully passes steam command lines to the KSP exe (unlike Take Twos) and properly sets up the working path, source code is here for all to view. Releases are here:

https://github.com/R-T-B/KSSL/releases

Install
To install, simply extract a release zip into your [KSP Install folder]/PDLauncher

This is a .net core 3.1 app and will prompt you to install that if not present. May work crossplatform if you can install it too, no idea, I only tested on windows.  It could probably be compiled to run under standard .net framework but I didn't want to bother because that's supposedly dying or something.

I do not plan to do much more with this, but on the other hand, not much more needs to be done!  Hope it is useful...

License: MIT

Source:  https://github.com/R-T-B/KSSL

If you ask for screenshots, please see your steam window, because it handles the launching and this has no GUI to speak of.

EDIT:  Fixed atrocious phone formatting, very cool white on black-background text, thanks google dark mode thingy.

Edited by R-T-B

yeah I went with the newest .net core version because it has linux/mac support.  Ironically, it doesn't help much/any because there are no linux/mac builds of this launcher yet (as it is unaware of their executable names), so need to either 

a.) add explicit linux and mac support

or

b.) use an older .net framework that doesn't need the extra download.

Just thinking outloud.  Anyone know if the *nix builds ship this new launcher gizmo?  If it doesn't then why am I bothering lol?  If it does, what's the executable names of the launcher and main game binary there?

Edited by R-T-B

Linux and Mac do not have the new launcher, so I'll be making a new release sometime soonish without the dependency on .net core download as we don't need linux/mac support.

You don't need to update if you already got it working, but the change will be helpful for new users I think who want to install it for the first time.

Edited by R-T-B

There's something else to be considered.

I noticed people complaining about KSP 1.12.4 being laggisher than 1.12.3, and people are blaming 1.12.4 due this.

However, when I downgraded KSP 1.12.4 to 1.12.3 on Steam, less than a megabyte of data was downloaded - this is too few to be related to textures - the main source of lag on my punny MacPotato.

My best guess at this moment is that the extra resources needed by the PDLauncher were the straw that broke the camel's back on people still using older 2 or 3GB VRAM GPUs. Getting rid of the PDLauncher may help on saving VRAM, that by itself will tax less the FPS.

If the launcher runs in the background that very well could be.  Epic Games Store is pretty heavy like that.  Anything that remains resident has that potential really.

@R-T-B, how hard would be to add a commandline option to your Launcher in order to create an environment variable called MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU and set it to 1 before launching KSP giving this new environment to it?

So people using it could try the stunt I proposed below and see if it improves performance on KSP itself, as well on the overall system. I have reports that suggest it does, but most people are not able of doing the trick themselves.

Spoiler

For future reference: relevant link on Forum.

Edited by Lisias
links

On 11/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, Lisias said:

@R-T-B, how hard would be to add a commandline option to your Launcher in order to create an environment variable called MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU and set it to 1 before launching KSP giving this new environment to it?

So people using it could try the stunt I proposed below and see if it improves performance on KSP itself, as well on the overall system. I have reports that suggest it does, but most people are not able of doing the trick themselves.

Reveal hidden contents

I can make a special build for that. When I next recompile this in the next few days, I'll do so.

On 11/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, Lisias said:

Reveal hidden contents

This has been done.  See:  https://github.com/R-T-B/KSSL/releases

Edited by R-T-B

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 8:35 PM, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Every time I install this and try to play I get an "Access is denied" (0x5) error. If I try to play ksp again  it deletes your launcherpatcher.exe and installs the original. 

Any fix?

A few users reported this on the new release.  Try the former release if you have this, be aware it may need you to install some .net framework stuff (will prompt you) but it should work just as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 5:16 PM, NJC2 said:

Would it be possible to make a universal launcher bypass to replace all Take-Two, 2K and PD launchers that would work on other games too?

I'd need an example game to check.  What games feature PDLauncher right now?  That might be possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.