Lessons learned the hard way...

MaverickSawyer

This thread is for those moments when you learn the hard way you shouldn/t have done something in KSP. I'll lead with this example:

I was bringing Jeb back down to a spalshdown, and decided to EVA jeb, expecting him to hold onto the ladder. Nope! He falls 208 meters and impacts into the ocean. :(

I've learnt that I should lock stages because on my decent to Mun I accidently pressed space bar and ejected everything also learnt to stage things properly aswell ( radial tanks ejected, main engine ejected and capsule ejected )

EVA on Duna: Jeb dies from a few meter fall.

Improper staging: Landig stage ends up as debris en route to Mun. Sepratrons and decouplers fire in the wrong order -> BOOM!

Warping: left RCS and SAS on. RCS ran out before landing.

I've learnt that I should lock stages because on my decent to Mun I accidently pressed space bar and ejected everything also learnt to stage things properly aswell ( radial tanks ejected, main engine ejected and capsule ejected )

You can lock stages!? How?

First hard lesson I learned was to always have a decoupler under your pod and parachute, rather than under that and your RCS tank, final stage rocket and landing gear. Stupid I know, but I was rushing to launch my first time around.

First hard lesson I learned was to always have a decoupler under your pod and parachute, rather than under that and your RCS tank, final stage rocket and landing gear. Stupid I know, but I was rushing to launch my first time around.

to this day i still run into staging mistakes. its something i just dont really think about until im facepalming

Make sure you look at which button your pressing. Clicking 'EVA' instead of 'IVA' during an interplanetary burn can lead to some stranded crewmembers..

Yeah, I did that. Poor Bill never saw it coming.

Mine is learning that you shouldn't burn retrograde immediately after staging. (I unintentionally docked violently into my debris and became even more debris)

I remember my first Eve landing. I forgot landing gear, and the small inner part with the engine was pushed upwards, tearing apart the craft.

I've learned that you only want the minimum of separating boosters, otherwise you get massive lag.

I remember my first Eve landing. I forgot landing gear, and the small inner part with the engine was pushed upwards, tearing apart the craft.

I've learned that you only want the minimum of separating boosters, otherwise you get massive lag.

lol i bade a craft messing with its weight to size ratio and it became boyent bouncing up and down on near the ground

Never use RCS to kill lateral velocity.

I do not get it. I do this almost every time and I have never got into any trouble. But I do remember my first Mun landings before landing legs, when I didn't know how to translate with rcs ... hardest thing I've ever done in KSP.

If you send an entire fleet of ships to the Joolian system in one night, you will be late to work the next day.

Totally agreed. I remember when 0.15 (if I remember well) was just released, I immediately sent some ships to explore Minmus ... Slept maybe two hours that night ^^

And my turn now : one of the first lessons I learnt when I launched my fist few orbiters is to never, absolutely never stage heading prograde during re-entry ... or you are going to have a bad time when you will deploy the chutes !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.