Will DLC purchasers get compensation with the new game?

No. Why would you? Since you bought the DLCs, you have access to the DLCs (a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶) - that's where the transaction ended.

Edit: I was assuming you meant you bought them in August 2019, when the game was first announced. If you meant that you bought them recently, when early access was announced, nothing changes. You still have access to the DLCs that you bought, and still will when KSP2 is released.

Edited by Ashandalar

1 hour ago, Ashandalar said:

No. Why would you? Since you bought the DLCs, you have access to the DLCs (a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶) - that's where the transaction ended.

Edit: I was assuming you meant you bought them in August 2019, when the game was first announced. If you meant that you bought them recently, when early access was announced, nothing changes. You still have access to the DLCs that you bought, and still will when KSP2 is released.

I'm just worried it'll switch out like OW2 did for Overwatch in favor of "the updated game", although there's probably a million questions about that already that I haven't read.

22 minutes ago, MacintoshKSP said:

I'm just worried it'll switch out like OW2 did for Overwatch in favor of "the updated game", although there's probably a million questions about that already that I haven't read.

KSP 1 is for all terms and purposes, a 'done' game. It will see little to no updates, besides security ones, and maybe ones to the launcher getting removed or improved. 

All focus is on KSP 2 right now. Once KSP 2 comes out, KSP 1 will slowly, but surely die. 

What happened with Overwatch, happens to all games. The old one gets abandoned, and the new one gets full favor/focus. But KSP 1 had a whole 10+ years of development. That's a long time for a game, and half of it was in early access. KSP has had its run, and it was a good one. 

Edit: I should clarify, that KSP 1 is done in a development standpoint. The community very well might keep it alive. Depends on how KSP 2. If KSP 2 is awesome, the community will migrate. If KSP 2 sucks, the community will stay with KSP 1 until KSP 2 is either made awesome, or modders have fixed everything wrong people have with KSP 2. 

Edited by GoldForest

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Edit: I should clarify, that KSP 1 is done in a development standpoint. The community very well might keep it alive. Depends on how KSP 2. If KSP 2 is awesome, the community will migrate. If KSP 2 sucks, the community will stay with KSP 1 until KSP 2 is either made awesome, or modders have fixed everything wrong people have with KSP 2. 

I mean, this is the case for Doom. That's been around for over 30 years, constantly being given new life breathed into it.

Given that KSP 1 is going to see very little updates from now on, now is a better time than any to get a whole bunch of mods updated for the latest version of KSP.

27 minutes ago, MacintoshKSP said:

KSP isn't an online game so that comparison doesn't make any sense.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

What happened with Overwatch, happens to all games. The old one gets abandoned, and the new one gets full favor/focus. But KSP 1 had a whole 10+ years of development. That's a long time for a game, and half of it was in early access. KSP has had its run, and it was a good one. 

What happened with overwatch is that the original game got shut down. Servers are gone, player data is gone, I’m not even sure if you can download the original game anymore. This would be a concern if it happened to KSP 1 because you would lose access to the game, including any DLC that you purchased 

1 hour ago, t_v said:

What happened with overwatch is that the original game got shut down. Servers are gone, player data is gone, I’m not even sure if you can download the original game anymore. This would be a concern if it happened to KSP 1 because you would lose access to the game, including any DLC that you purchased 

I'm not sure you can "shut down" a single player game that uses local files. Like does Take Two bust into my house and format my hard drive?

5 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

I'm not sure you can "shut down" a single player game that uses local files. Like does Take Two bust into my house and format my hard drive?

This is why it won’t happen, most probably. 

1 hour ago, t_v said:

Ah, I might have misunderstood then. Yeah, that is a problem. 

3 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

No, but you can take it off stores and make it so no one can buy it anymore, which is a crap move. Most devs leave old versions of games on store fronts. Commandoes, Civilization, etc, all the old games can be pretty much found either on Steam or GOG.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

That's because Blizzard is a greedy ass, fighting with EA for the Worst Publisher in History title. I can still buy and play many older titles, regardless if they got a sequel or not.

I don't think Blizzard is the problem. I think it's their parent company, Activision that are the 'greedy ass.' It's like EA with it's children companies. They either do what EA says or end up shut down. Look at Maxis. 

1 hour ago, t_v said:

This.

1 hour ago, t_v said:

What happened with overwatch is that the original game got shut down. Servers are gone, player data is gone, I’m not even sure if you can download the original game anymore.

False.

What happened to it is that they've updated it, you still keep all your stuff and continue playing on OW2.

The change from pay to play to F2P and the engine upgrades and the balance changes are big enough to justify the "2" in the title but that's all marketing anyway.

There are sequels that are mere updates (like every sport title ever) and updates bigger than sequels (I've seen plenty of games getting significant overhauls as free updates).

The truth is that if you played OW1 you can continue doing the same in 2, with all your cosmetics and the new balance patch, patches that were coming anyway.

1 hour ago, t_v said:

This would be a concern if it happened to KSP 1 because you would lose access to the game, including any DLC that you purchased

For most players that would require Steam going down, and that's still can be countered by simply making a backup of the game's folder.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

That's because Blizzard is a greedy ass, fighting with EA for the Worst Publisher in History title.

Blizzard is terrible for a ton of reasons, most of which can't even be discussed on this forum, but the controversy around Overwatch 2 is 110% fabricated over nothing.

If they did something wrong was trying to defy the "Competitive games should be F2P with solid monetization" rule when they released OW1.

All games competing with Overwatch are F2P and are more successful exactly for that reason.

Pay 2 play competitive games have been voted out of the industry by players choosing F2P titles instead.

Nobody even raises an eyebrow at sport titles being sold for 70€ a year with (paid separately) lootboxes as part of the competitive gameplay and yet suddenly Overwatch 2 being free with paid cosmetics (With prices being in line with the industry standard) is the end of the world.

24 minutes ago, Master39 said:

False.

What happened to it is that they've updated it, you still keep all your stuff and continue playing on OW2.

The change from pay to play to F2P and the engine upgrades and the balance changes are big enough to justify the "2" in the title but that's all marketing anyway.

Thanks, I don’t play either game, so I was just getting information from secondary sources. Even this corrected information won’t  happen to KSP because you can still play KSP 1 separate from KSP 2. 

9 minutes ago, t_v said:

I don’t play either game, so I was just getting information from secondary sources.

Like 90% of the people partecipating in the controversy or, worse, all the YouTubers and "gaming journalists" making articles about if.

So, at the end of the day, just like people who bought KSP back when they were promising "free everything forever" who still had to pay the money to download the DLC, you'll be paying for KSP 2 and won't get a coupon for a discount just because you bought the previous game (even if you did buy it back when they were promising "free everything forever").

It's all about the bottom line, if they did that 50% of the people who regularly still play KSP would be getting KSP 2 for free (or at a discount).
They can't financially afford to do that, so they're not doing it.

And besides, when you bought the DLC 3 days before KSP 2 was announced, there were no promises anywhere of them offering a discount on any potential sequel game.
Heck, that's half the reason it's called KSP 2 and not "KSP 1 remake with new DLC" or something like that, it's the way for them to INTENTIONALLY break that promise without actually generating anything legally actionable, which works out for them because video games are designed to make money first and be entertaining to the end user second.

9 minutes ago, SciMan said:

So, at the end of the day, just like people who bought KSP back when they were promising "free everything forever" who still had to pay the money to download the DLC,

Considering I was one of those that bought the game early enough to get the expansions free, I can guarantee you that wasn't the case.  

There's effectively zero chance that the original KSP will be pulled from the market anytime even remotely soon, so you'll still be able to play what you paid for. Copy the game folder elsewhere if it worries you. KSP does not, as of last time I played it, care where it's installed to or check with servers for authentication.

As for whether you'll be getting KSP2 DLC for free: No. You will not. But I'm not sure if that's what was asked.

1 hour ago, Catto said:

it'd be nice for if you purchased the ksp1 dlc before ksp2 released you'd get a breaking ground and a making history suit in ksp2

I suspect the KSP1 DLCs are already in the KSP2 base game, no dlc needed.

34 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I suspect the KSP1 DLCs are already in the KSP2 base game, no dlc needed.

I can tell you with about 99% certainty they are not, and never will be. You may see a few pieces from the DLC here and there, but that is it.