Interior idea for KSP2

I like the idea of this too, even if it's very simple.   For example climbing and internal ladder for a laboratory module.  This sound like a great idea for the extended roadmap so it doesn't lead to scope creep during the current roadmap.

I think a feature like this would work best if the kerbals and internal furnishings weren't fully under the physics system... basically the equivalent of "No same vessel interaction" option in KSP 1.  Maybe bouncing around in zero-g would be cool, but I could see it tempting the kraken.

7 hours ago, KSPEnjoyer said:

It would be pretty cool to have an ability to walk/view the interior of certain crafts like in space stations, especially when in multiplayer. You can have different tasks to do or some cool functions. 

This is a feature ive been pushing for as well and if my understanding of modding is correct, and the devs would be so kind, would be as simple as adding another layer in unity. (in ksp 1 your typical 3rd person view was on one layer and when you switched to IVA went to a second layer in unity. What i am proposing here is a 3rd layer where you have a switchable 1st AND 3rd person perspective which will require needing colliders on the props in iva in order to interact properly)This example is for KSP 1 (shown below) that never got any further prolly due to ksp 1 limitations. But is this what you are referring to?  If so make your voice loud push for it bring attention to it and who knows.......maybe! I would love to be able to walk around inside of ship and interact with the props whether thats a science experiment, or environmental controls, or engineering tasks, or simply monitoring a screen....or a emergency life support situation, eating , sleeping, etc... at least have that layer there so the modders can tap into it and .....can you imagine the good mods that would come out based on that alone? It would give a whole new feel and aspect to the game. And dont let no dev or user tell you they dont want to implement it because in their opinion its to much work for a feature THEY dont think will be useful or seldom used cause that is BS!

Edited by Redneck

12 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Good timing: That's just changed:

It's not KSP 2, but it lets us see what it would be like and improve the discussion around it, for example, how should movement work.

Hey there im glad you replied! So as a modder how would you advise the ksp2 devs to implement this feature in ksp2? Add another layer in unity? Id like your input on how to go about it

24 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Hey there im glad you replied! So as a modder how would you advise the ksp2 devs to implement this feature in ksp2? Add another layer in unity? Id like your input on how to go about it

“Adding another layer in unity” is a *massive* understatement of the work required for this.  The IVA system in stock is already essentially that.  To be able to move around, you have to build collider shells for every internal space, cut holes out of internal meshes and make sure everything lines up in every possible configuration.

As far as advising ksp2 devs, the best thing they could do is make sure that all hatches are props (not baked into the model like several ksp1 parts) and internal models have holes cut out behind the hatches.  Anything that looks interactable (seat harnesses, handrails, flight sticks, etc) should be a prop or at least its own gameobject.  Modders can do the rest.